Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindabundy

Pros and Cons of Farmhouse sink vs. undermount sink in kitchen

Linda Bundy
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

We are redoing our kitchen. Our house is traditional/rustic, with open wood beamed ceilings throughout, so alittle farmhouse style as well. Our decorator would prefer us to go with a white farmhouse sink, however we aren't crazy about them. Can you weigh in on pros and cons of both. The granite we are using is antique brown leathered, with white cabinets. Thank you.

Comments (47)

• Linda Bundy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Great idea. Thank you.

• PRO
    Trinity Builders & Design, Inc.
    6 years ago

Sounds like a farm sink would fit well with your space. Jhmarie also has a great option for you, that sink will probably work well with your space.

Now speaking from personal experience, the farm sink tends to offer more space and are, for the most part, deeper making it easier to wash pots after cooking. Of course it depends on the specific one that you purchase.

Good luck!

Linda Bundy thanked Trinity Builders & Design, Inc.
  • wacokid
    6 years ago
    I love my K Whitehaven -36" with smart divide.
    Linda Bundy thanked wacokid
  • jhmarie
    6 years ago

I want to add that the traditional farm sinks are made of fireclay - lovely but it does have the potential to craze. I also want to add, if it is not your style, go with what you want. The Whitehaven is cast iron.

Here is a funny article about choosing a farm sink:

http://victoriaelizabethbarnes.com/apron-front-farmhouse-sink-options-decided-against-fireclay/

Here is a close up of mine - you should go to a plumb supply shop and see one in person:

My pics -work in progress: · More Info

Linda Bundy thanked jhmarie
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

Get whatever style sink you want. All I can tell you is that I replace a lot of sinks and virtually everyone goes from a double to a large single with an occasional low divide.

Linda Bundy thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • Linda Bundy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks. We are going to a single. We just are debating on farmhouse or undermount.

• skmom
    6 years ago
    We went with a large single bowl, undermount sink (in stainless steel) but I really like the look of the farmhouse style sinks! The decision factor for me was when I noticed that whenever I had opportunity to stand at a farmhouse sink and use it I noticed that it very quickly made my back start hurting. I'm about 5'6" so not all that tall, but I guess I'm tall enough. I'm really not sure WHY it made such a difference, but I guess having the extra separation with the undermount sink made all the difference for me. (And I didn't want to raise my counter height above the standard height for other reasons, the standard height is comfortable for me to work at for prep work tasks... except rolling out dough, that would've been nice to have a lower surface but I decided against it because it's something that I almost never do... my daughter does it frequently, but she's 5'9" tall so to not a problem for her.)

So my long winded advice is to consider your height and comfort when choosing farmhouse vs undermount. :)
    Linda Bundy thanked skmom
  • jhmarie
    6 years ago

The Whitehaven has a depth of about 9" and another inch or so lower depending on your counter top thickness compared to an overmount - so about 10" all together. My neighbor got an undermount, not farmhouse, and it is just as deep. We both went from overmount to undermount and it was a little adjustment for both of us to get used to the deeper sink.

• PRO
    SINKOLOGY
    6 years ago

From the way you described your design, I'd recommend a farmhouse apron front sink. I'd also recommend getting the sink you want, you're going to be living with it every day.

Linda Bundy thanked SINKOLOGY
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    6 years ago

All I did was wipe and polish the front of my Kohler stainless farmer’s sink. Never again…maybe porcelain would be easier to keep up...

Linda Bundy thanked JudyG Designs
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago

IMO this whole farmhouse apron front sink thing is a bit of a fad I like stainlessundermount for many reasons including ease of care, if you drop a pot in it it does not chip and belt buckles don’t scratch the front.

Linda Bundy thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • miss lindsey (She/Her)
    6 years ago

I got a top mount (I know, *gasp*, the horror but I've seen some really nasty undermounts and I am not a meticulous housekeeper) white cast iron 30/70 split. It is rustic enough for the look of my country farmhouse kitchen without the apron front, which I love when it is authentically OLD but not so much on the trendy new iterations (sorry all, your kitchens are lovely just not for me...) With a gooseneck faucet with pull-down sprayer it is perfect for my washing needs which admittedly are not typical; large steel milk pails, 4 gallon stockpots, and 10-inch cast iron frying pans are washed daily in it.

The point of this ramble is I got what works for my needs and what I find attractive. And so should you.

Linda Bundy thanked miss lindsey (She/Her)
  • lorelei11
    6 years ago
    we are trying to decide the same thing! except i love the look of farm sinks. it does take quite a bit more water to fill so that's our only real con we could find. plus we like a washing and drying side
    Linda Bundy thanked lorelei11
  • Linda Bundy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks all. I was worried that the new farmhouse sink is a fad. I like it, but my husband does not, so we will get a white Kohler undermount. I appreciate all the comments and feedback. it really helps when making these decisions!

• wacokid
    6 years ago
    You cannot go wrong with either one,, especially if it is a Kohler, good luck....
    Linda Bundy thanked wacokid
  • leelee
    6 years ago

We have an undermount (which is a must) apron front copper sink.

Linda Bundy thanked leelee
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

Here's the Kohler K-3942 which is a top mount apron front which is perfect for retrofitting when your reinforcement rod blows up your rail and your existing cutout is too wide for an undermount:

The black spot on the edge is rust bleed-through.

• Diane
    6 years ago
    Had a kohler farm sink in last home we sold the house when it was 10 years old and it looked brand new. But my cabinet doors had to be replaced twice as the painted finish got damaged. Water splashed down the front and found its way onto the cabinet doors. If you get water on the front of your clothing while doing the dishes (husband does) water will get to your cabinets. This time we also went with kohler cast iron single bowl, but under mount.
    Linda Bundy thanked Diane
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

Speaking of water infiltration, if your fabricator doesn't use enough clips or strap your undermount sink in place with silicone, it will not only leak enough to rust your rod, it will dribble nasty unsanitary water inside your cabinet; enough to rust your hinges:

This is the above-pictured job.

If you think that's nasty, you should see the brown undermount sink flange. I'd post a picture, but I'm afraid the mods would cite me for violating the rules against obscenity here. Grrrosss.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    6 years ago

^plus mildew is why I don't like undermount

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

A properly installed undermount sink with a positive reveal won't mildew with even a minimum of maintenance. .

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    6 years ago

I believe you. I just don't have confidence in the properly part in my particular circumstance!!

• jhmarie
    6 years ago

I think you should get the sink that suits you best:) I like variety and like to see people do different things. I have a "rustic" basement kitchenette and my old drop in cast iron sink was repurposed there.

https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~65270573

I do not think the farm sink is a fad because it functions so well - and is a revamp of big sinks of the past which functioned very well, especially in a world without dishwashers. The dishwashers became popular and sinks got small - perhaps too small. I have the "short apron" which in some ways resembles the old cast iron sinks of the early to mid 1900's more than an English butler's sink - which is what the tall apron sinks resemble.

I am short and my waist is above the sink - not sure how people are hitting the sink with belt buckles.

Water splashed me and down the cabinet with my old drop in cast iron sink, but that has not happened in the year I've had the new sink. I guess washing style is different for different people too.

lindsey - my kitchen is old though I don't live on a farm:)

https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~58830325

One of my sisters does live on a farm, and her sink is original to the house - 1960s, so not "farmhouse". I wish she did have one because she has a large family and could use one.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    6 years ago

I've checked out your kitchen before jhmarie! It's beautiful.

I always appreciate how you encourage people to follow their own aesthetic sense without focusing too much on trends.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

I strapped a copper sink recently and taped my wires to keep them off the copper. If you do a copper undermount with insert style fasteners, you've got to address the dissimilar metal problem or the sink's coming down.

• Christina Coito
    6 years ago
    Hello, I am having a hard time deciding on a copper apron, kohler whitehaven apron sink, or an undermount copper sink! Please help me!! This is my kitchen.
  • Christina Coito
    6 years ago
    Hello, Please help me decide on a sink.. kohler whitehaven, (white or biscuit?) or copper apron, or a copper undermount or a fireclay biscuit under mount? This is my kitchen ! Thanks!
  • PRO
    6 years ago

Hi Cristina,

For some reason the picture you posted is not showing up well on my computer.

But I would also suggest that you start your own post/thread which will give you a lot more responses to your question.

• Christina Coito
    6 years ago
    How do I do that?
  • PRO
    6 years ago

if you click on the tab that says "stories & advice" then click on "design dilemma" it will take you to the main page with several threads, and at the top it gives you an option to "start your own thread".

• jhmarie
    6 years ago

Christina - The Whitehaven will definitely look pretty in your kitchen. The copper will be right up against the stainless dishwasher - not really a problem, but keep in mind the two different metals will be right next to each other. The bigger factor is how you feel about the patina of a copper sink over time. Look up past threads on copper sinks - some people love them, some people aren't happy with the patina they develop.

Do a Houzz search of "copper sink" in the design dilemma and you can see past discussions from others.

• Christina Coito
    6 years ago
    Thank you Jhmarie! Would you do the biscuit whitehaven or white?
  • jhmarie
    6 years ago

I think either would work. Computers don't show true colors so it is hard to know for sure what would look best in your kitchen. White is the traditional farm sink color, so it would be fine. I believe you can get sample colors from Kohler - I thought someone here did that, but it looks like you need to make a decision now:) What color are your countertops and backsplash - will there be some white in those?

My cabinets are stained. There is both white and cream in my counters and I have the white short apron style, but a cream backsplash - so the creams and the whites can work together.

Here are some pics of white farm sinks in cream kitchens (from google images) There are many "creams" - not sure if yours is similar to any of these:

short apron:

I think it helps if there is white trim or white in the countertop to tie in with the white sink. In your pic, your window itself looks like it is white. Another factor is cost. When I was looking at Whitehavens, the colored sinks were a few hundred dollars more and I was already spending a lot for a sink.

• Christina Coito
    6 years ago
    This is my granite. My back splash is going to be cream. My faucet is oil rubbed bronze. The biscuit looks to be a shade off from the white. Some people have told me white is the classic and the biscuit may look like I'm trying to match cabinets. I did get the samples from kohler and still can't decide.
  • jhmarie
    6 years ago

If you have the samples and both look good with the cabinets - go with whichever you like best. It looks like either would work and there is no "right" answer. No one is going to think about what went into your decisions but you:)

• Autumleavescuz
    5 years ago

jhmarie- Thanks for you comments. I am remodeling my kitchen and love my undercount 29" x 19" white cast iron sink from my 1936 home as it is only 5" deep and I am 5'2". I have been looking at the Whitehaven farm sinks and they are all 9 5/8" deep. I believe you said you were comfortable with the short apron at a shorter stature of a person, so thought I'd confirm that as I am really struggling to give up my sink, but it is no longer in the best of conditions to look best in a remodeled kitchen with new counters/cupboards. Any updated thoughts as I am concerned at my age for the pressure on back and shoulders (and am only growing older)?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

The back/reach/pain thing only lives here on Houzz. There's a reason they don't make shallow modern sinks; no one wants them, short or tall.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    5 years ago

My mom is 5'2 and she lives at her sink, no lie. I have never once heard her say that she has pain from trying to reach. My kids are under 5' and they wash dishes at our sink with no problem. The seven year old uses a stool though.

• jhmarie
    5 years ago

I am very comfortable with my Whitehaven. I actually am more comfortable now that I have the grills which "raise" the bottom an inch. What I like is how close I am to the sink - not reaching over an expanse of countertop. The amount of countertop can be big or small for a regular under mount depending on different factors which Joseph can explain better than me. I don't find reaching over 4" painful, just not the best for me. The short apron and long apron Whitehaven are both the same in the inside - so get whichever works for the sink base.

It does take a little time adjustment for any new sink. My neighbor has a new under mount sink - just as deep as my apron front and she also loves her new sink. We both laughed about getting used to the depth. She has a low divide in hers.

If you can, go to a plumb supply shop, view kitchen displays in stores and / or local Parade Homes to get the feel of different sinks.

• User
    5 years ago

I’ve had both. Loved them both. Would do either type again. Strictly an personal esthetic choice. Even a “farm” house doesn’t have to have a farm style sink. It will look great either way.

• Autumleavescuz
    5 years ago

Thanks for all the kind encouragement and comments!

• intelinside1
    5 years ago

So do you all think Farm house or apron sinks are out of style? Also... Isn't there a benefit to undermount farmhouse/ apron sinks as tey are lower then the counters so easier access. And less drip water onto wood cabinets?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

intellinside1:

I just sold another 36" Elkay Quartz Luxe yesterday; my third in two months. The Kohler 3943 apron front remains second in popularity only to an undermounted K3821 which is a 33"x22" sink. If apron sinks are going out of style, southwestern Florida didn't get the memo apparently.

I recently had a customer in a wheelchair comment on how much easier her new undermounted apron sink would be to access.

• intelinside1
    5 years ago

Nice. I have had a farmhouse sink for years. I love that when it's undermount it has about 1 inch lower access to it. Makes washing dishes and access easier. I agree that it's more functional as well

• PRO
    Evelyn
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I bought a Leafaot farmhouse sink made of stainless steel and I really like it. Because it is large enough, it is my personalized kitchen workstation: preparation, cooking and cleaning have never been easier.

• Kenny
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

This is a coincidence. I thought that a niche brand like Leafloat was not well-known and no one used it. Unexpectedly, you bought it too, I bought his workstation kitchen sink 2 years ago. I think it is very cost-effective.