Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raddilee

Wall oven microwave combo OR range with oven + under cabinet microwave

Zee
6 years ago

I currently have a 36" cooktop with a double oven and a microwave that sits on the counter. We are redoing the kitchen and I am very confused. I don't need a double oven - I barely use the oven. Most of my cooking is on the stovetop. Should I get a 36" range with the oven unit so I can just have an under the counter microwave OR should I keep my cooktop and get a microwave/oven combo unit? I'm afraid to get the combo unit because if the microwave has issues, I will have to replace the entire unit. Is there any way I can buy a microwave and a wall oven separately and then put them together in the oven cabinet? I would love to get some ideas. I am really confused about my options.

Comments (10)

• Zee
    Original Author
    6 years ago

That's an interesting option for the microwave that I had not considered.

• Carla H
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

We are putting ours in a walk-in pantry. Microwaves have a MUCH SHORTER SHELF-LIFE than ovens, so do not get a microwave & wall-oven combo. Personally, I'm not installing a double oven in our new build either, as I can give up the "2 times a year" that I would use it so I can have more drawers.

• jmm1837
    6 years ago

I have a wall oven (better for bad backs than a slide in stove!) and a separate range top, with my microwave in the walk-in pantry. I prefer having a MW at counter height rather than below or above the counters but that's my preference. My sister has a wall oven, and a separate microwave (not a combo) in the space above the wall oven. That works well for her.

• PRO
    Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
    6 years ago

Some images for you........

• Francine Doyle
    6 years ago

I have a wall oven/microwave combo unit; I've had it for 11 years. The microwave is too high for safely taking dishes out of it. I'm planning to switch to a regular range/oven and put a microwave somewhere at counter-height.

• Judy Mishkin
    6 years ago

i guess i was lucky, our oven/mw combo was 28 years old and fully functional when it went into the dumpster at our remodel 2+ years ago. i liked it so much we did go with another. i like having the single control panel which saves a lot of space, and the microwave door opens down, like an oven; you can slide a casserole out to give it a stir. completely satisfied.

• katzeyevid
    6 years ago

ninigret - I too have a double oven with microwave built into the top oven which I have loved, especially since both ovens are the same size. After 20 years, both are still working great, however I need to replace since they can't get the parts I need to fix the lever. Can you tell me which brand oven/micro combo you went with?

• Judy Mishkin
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

i have the whirlpool. it works well, the fan is noisy, but so is the fan on my profile slide in range. the opening down microwave is sensational.

it appears to be this one, not positive if the model has changed or not. mine is 27" but the microwave is the same size for this model and the 30" one.

https://www.whirlpool.com/kitchen/cooking/wall-ovens/microwave-oven-combo/p.WOC54EC7AS.html

• starfire197057
    last year

Wow......There's nothing more deflating than to have someone say most clients are moving away from the built in oven/microwave. Being a 70 year old ( yikes) with back issues, there is no way I would comfortably lean forward even the slightest bit to put things in or take things out of a regular range. Sure, I would love to have that counter space, but I would also love to save my back. We got the built in oven separate from the built in microwave. They do make cabinets for separate units, OR your contractor can modify the double oven cabinet.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths