Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephen_edwards12

Need help picking color for Dark Navy Blue Cabinets!

Stephen Edwards
6 years ago

I need some help in picking a Sherwin Williams color that will get me the dark navy blue cabinet color I'm looking for. I've been reading a lot about this and so many people are saying to go with a grey-ish blue to get this color but it's hard to make sense of that. What should I be ordering samples of to get AS CLOSE to this look as possible?

I'm leaning towards Anchors Aweigh (see here) or Charcoal Blue based on what I've been reading on others who've done this dark navy blue look.

Comments (28)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

SW doesn't make a dark base for dark colors in their Pro Classic line, which is what you would want to use. BM Advance paint is superior. choose BM

• Stephen Edwards
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I appreciate the feedback but unfortunately the cabinet maker I'm using only accepts Sherwin Williams colors. But I did compare the SW colors to some of those BM colors such as Hale Navy and Old Navy and they look pretty close.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

which paint does he use ? the SW? which line of their paint?

• civana1
    6 years ago
    Hi Stephen, we are in the same boat you were with the WS paint and these cabinets. Can you tell me which one you ended up going with?
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 years ago

Use the SW ColorSnap to find your color

• truey
    6 years ago

Sw naval? Or is that too blue?

• lulu
    6 years ago
    I think you want a blue with lots of charcoal in it, like the one above.
  • lulu
    6 years ago
    I just looked at Anchors Away and it is a very dark blue, but the Charcoal blue may give you more of the look from your inspiration photo. Please buy a sample pot and test it in your room first. You can get a 2x3 stretched canvas from Michaels pretty cheap. And you can paint it over and over again, testing colors for other rooms.
  • btydrvn
    6 years ago
    How much of this blue do you intend to use?...this is a very dark color for any space...and very difficult and costly...to change if you don't like the result..look in Houzz for pics of navy blue kitchens...notice navy is mostly used as an accent color...very heavy if overdone...
  • lizh5488
    6 years ago
    Stephen-- which color did you end up going with? I am in the exact same situation right now, looking at anchors away and charcoal blue. I'm worried charcoal blue is too purple, seems to pull red undertones. What ended up working for you?
  • Stephen Edwards
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I wound up not liking either Lizh. You are right that the charcoal blue turned out to be way too purple. Also, as dark as I thought the Anchors Aweigh was going to be, it wasn't dark enough. It was still way too blue in the day time. My research is telling me that I really needed to go more towards the gray side of things to get the color I'm after so I ordered two more samples that should be here in about 10 days. So we'll see how those turn out. I will report back when I have them in hand.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 years ago

• Stephen Edwards
    Original Author
    6 years ago

That's one of the samples we are getting!

• truey
    6 years ago

A really good site to use is http://encycolorpedia.com/ 

you can put in a paint color and it tells you EVERYTHING about it, including closest matches in other lines

• jbtanyderi
    6 years ago
    Farrow and Ball do good dark blues. Check out Fine Paints of Europe, Donald Kaufman, Dulux, and other brands as well.
  • lizh5488
    6 years ago

Stephen -- Have you tried Cyberspace? That is one of the colors we are looking at right now.

• jhope
    6 years ago
    SW doesn't have a good dark blue! I was in the same predicament. Have you looked at Mount Etna?
  • Stephen Edwards
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Unfortunately we are stuck with choosing a SW color as that's what our cabinet vendor uses.

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago

They should be able to custom make you a color at SW.

• gustaviatex
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Oh, go to a SW store and ask to see ALL the paint chips. The website and even the displays only have the current, popular colors. They never "discontinue" a color; the formula is always accessible. I wanted a particular lime green and nothing was right. They were all too yellow or too blue or too something. After a couple of samples that didnt work they gave me a giant collection of color chips and I found one I was thrilled with. Do you have a physical store you can go to?

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

I apologize, I skimmed the thread :(

Sherwin Williams Naval

Inkwell as mentioned above might be the perfect option!

It's tough and I hate to have one brand try to mix another

it's never the same or so it seems.

I've read a bit about people going to SW to get Hale Navy which to me

would be a great option, but it's BM. However, when reading people were upset it wasn't the same:)

• meghanrovelli
    6 years ago

What happened? Did you pick a color? That color is BM raccoon fur on picture you originally liked

• PRO
    Designer Drains
    6 years ago

a midnight blue with some brass!! SWAG.

• Amber Cottrell Thomas
    6 years ago
    My gosh! This is helping me so much! Thanks for all your info. I’m having the same Navy Fiasco. Which is the perfect mix between Blue and Grey!?! That is the question, lol. I’m going to check out SW Inkwell for sure!! I was wondering did you ever look into Gotham Grey by Valspar?? If so what were your thoughts....?
  • firsttimerrenovater
    4 years ago

i had the same disappointment with charcoal blue turning out to be purple, but what I did was put the SW premium wall and wood primer on as a base, then used anchors aweigh and it came out great.