Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vision13

Need Help with what to do for the Front of my Boring house!

Hi Guys! I really hope someone out there knows how to make a 1970 split-level look better than this! Do you recommend shutters or window boxes? What kind? We still need to paint the exterior too. It's just so Blah! I really appreciate your help! Thank you! Julia

Comments (14)

• NancyD
    6 years ago
    You're planning to paint the exterior. Does that mean this stonework? Do you have regular siding on the rest? It would be helpful to see a photo of the whole front of your house, for color suggestions, shutter and window box ideas, etc.
    Julia Lehman Photography thanked NancyD
  • PRO
    Julia Lehman Photography
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you so much for your quick response! I don't plan on painting the stone, ( even though it's funky), but the dark brown trim. I feel like this house needs architectural help to make it less boring. I really appreciate your ideas. Thank you!

• PRO
    LK Design NC
    6 years ago
    I actually find it quite interesting looking. I would rather work on landscaping to bring color/texture/share in. IMHO.
  • decoenthusiaste
    6 years ago

You might add a shallow pergola between the upper and lower windows for some definition. Paint all the soffits, facia and trim the same creamy white to work with the white stones.

Pergola ideas with stone homes...

needham studio - dphj.01 · More Info

Texas House · More Info

Mediterranean Exterior · More Info

Exterior · More Info

Julia Lehman Photography thanked decoenthusiaste
  • tozmo1
    6 years ago

I like the look. At some point, maybe you could change out the windows for ones with muntins like the pictures above.

• Kathy Yata
    6 years ago

I like it, very quirky. Since the rockwork is so busy I'd use a single bold plant around the house. Move the pointy plants from your first photo elsewhere and plant more solid evergreen shrubs that are of course kept trimmed below the windowsills and split up the daylilies? to make a more continuous border next time they get divided. Ordinarily I dislike shrubs sheared into mushrooms, balls and such but they suit this house and I'd keep them so long as it's possible to keep them trimmed and they don't prevent easy walking to the front door. If you want an actual garden then those green shapes make an excellent backdrop for flowers and smaller flowering shrubs.

No shutters. No window boxes. I love those eyebrow arbors, perhaps that plus a vine. Love the idea of stuccoing part of the house too.

Julia Lehman Photography thanked Kathy Yata
  • acm
    6 years ago
    i would want to paint every light gray rock the color of the rest of the facade -- it looks like tiny bits of toilet paper stuck on shaving cuts! second choice, stucco. hard to worry about "boring" in the face of this busy surface!!
    Julia Lehman Photography thanked acm
  • Darzy
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

It's quirky for sure but I think it's too much of the same material. I like the stucco idea, or even a horizontal wood on the left side? Maybe even just below the top windows. ACM's idea of just paint the whitish stone a medium brown is a great idea.

• Darzy
    6 years ago

Horizontal wood with stone sample...

Refined + Rustic · More Info

Julia Lehman Photography thanked Darzy
  • NancyD
    6 years ago
    Okay, I'm really terrible at this, but I used the SW Color Visualizer to "paint out" some of the white stones, just to give you an idea. Squint maybe?

I think that, if you like the complete stone facade and don't want to add wood siding or break up the stone, you need to make the stone look more uniform. Even when there's variation, there's a blending of color in the stones on most of the examples that were posted. The white ones just jump out too much.
    Julia Lehman Photography thanked NancyD
  • jukia83
    6 years ago

Thanks everyone for your great ideas! I guess I need to figure out the costs for these ideas and go from there. I love the mellowing out of the stone idea plus the shallow pergola and wood too! Tough decisions to make!

• Sigrid
    6 years ago

Ivy. Or another tall vine. Wisteria is wonderful when it is in leaf. Older wisteria vines can be sculptural in winter.

Julia Lehman Photography thanked Sigrid
  • PRO
    Beverly Anderson Interior Design
    6 years ago

Add dark shutters.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville