edubya

POLL: Black Stainless Steel Appliances - Yes or No?

Emily H

High Park Home · More Info

Many home appliance brands have rolled out refrigerators, oven ranges, dishwashers and other appliances in black stainless steel, a darker take on the classic material. Would you consider incorporating black stainless steel appliances the next time you update your kitchen?

Yes
No
Other - tell us about it!

• vegasrenie
    I have always felt that people should be able to choose whatever color they want in their kitchen. Right now we are stuck with whatever the manufacturers want to make available to us, but we may not always like what they have to offer. Personally, I think that autobody shops are missing out on a great opportunity by not offering paint services to appliance owners!

This is a photo of my ruby red stove. As you can see, it is surrounded by stainless. For me, it is not a big deal to keep clean. You can also see a little bit of the old refrigerator that's going to be replaced early next year with a counter-depth model. As an aside, I don't have a lot of money either, but I was lucky enough to find this as a retired floor model.

I don't like all black appliances, and I do like the black stainless, but with the size of my tiny kitchen, I think that it would just overwhelm. Even though the vent hood and the backsplash are regular stainless steel, I think I will stay with the fingerprint resistant stainless on my fridge as I have on my dishwasher.
  • Cher

I really like your ruby range. It looks great with your cupboards and cabinets. You are right. We like basic white. We also don't want water in the door or ice maker. Some water stored in the frig is plenty good enough. Ice makers take up too much room. Besides, the ice would never be enough when we have a house full. For those few times, just buy ice. Too bad we couldn't buy a basic and white-beautiful frig without having to order it special. Actually, we could only find one brand that had what we wanted in the larger frig size we wanted.

Stainless steel or black appliances

I love our stainless steel appliances (in an ivory shaker kitchen). We don't have any particular problems with smudging or difficulty cleaning, but we also don't have small children in the house--just one teenager. Adults tend to open and close refrigerator doors using handles rather than open palms, thus not creating smudgy fingerprints. I do think stainless is a much better combination with cream color cabinets than black appliances.

Will black stainless steel appliances look okay with a Wolf cooktop?

Why do you want a Wolf? If you want a Wolf because you think it is the best tool for the cooking you do, buy the Wolf and don't worry about matching appliances. If you just want it because of the brand, then probably go with matching appliances because apparently that is more important than the 'right' brand of one particular piece for people who shop for aesthetics, not function. I know everyone thinks appliances need to match, but that's bizarre - appliances exist to do a job. Each one has a job and different brands do different types of appliances better than others. I find it absurd that people are supposed to buy lesser quality in one appliance so that it will match with some other thing. At the level of Wolf, if you are actually cooking with the thing, there is a lot of personal preference variety in the big brands in terms of what will work best for you. (Different burner layout, different power levels, etc.) They are not interchangeable - a Miele is not the same as a Wolf even if you put a Wolf label on the front. (Or Thermadore, or Blue Star, etc.) I currently have a Miele fridge and a Bosch dishwasher and I haven't decided yet on the stove but it'll be picked for performance, not brand name. I think my kitchen will end up looking just fine anyway, and more importantly it will work well for me because I'm buying based on features I like, not 'they are from the same set.'

Samsung Black Stainless Steel Kitchen Appliances + Hardwood?

I like "Olivia" from Shaw. Its a grayish brown plank ceramic tile. I have these appliances and am debating on the cabinet color. amd new floor. Currently they are a red-ish dark oak and I want to lighten it up.

Black Stainless Steel Appliances

@Sophie Wheeler - why do you say so? Is is just that you dislike it or do you think it really is a very short-lived fad? Wish I knew for sure, because I will be buying new kitchen appliances within the next 6 months, and I really like it now, but I don't want to hate it 3 years from now!
  • celestina89

You CAN PAINT your appliances ANY COLOUR you wish. It isn't that difficult. If you don't want to paint yourself, call your local auto body paint shop and ask them.

Rust-Oleum does offer appliance paint. It is epoxy paint and can be sprayed on. No primer needed. You can also use appliance enamel paint.

And here is a link to "HOW to paint appliances". Make sure the paint you use is heat-resistant for things like ovens, stoves, washer, dryer, microwave. You can use semi-gloss paint, but only use that on items that don't get hot like refrigerators. Spray paint is a lot easier to apply than brush, but both work depending on your DIY skills.

I, too, am disgusted at limited choices. I so dislike shiny metal appliances. I prefer colour rather than a choice of black or white. In my project of the cottage in the woods I will be building soon and am in planning stages now, I have already added the idea of getting my appliance of choice then having it painted by a local auto body shop the colour I want.

And these links will take you to Pinterest of people who painted or had painted their own appliances including file cabinets! Some great examples for you to view.

Loribeth Clark

The only problem with white appliances is they are usually too white to actually go with white cabinets. There are so many shades of white, and people rarely use their white appliances to make sure the whites are the same. If their designer offers them a white for their cabinets that's the same color as the appliances, they reject that white as too white, not being warm enough or too sterile. So then, people end up with their white cabinets looking dull, dirty or yellowed compared to the bright white appliances that they wanted to complete their all white kitchen. Then they complain that the white appliances look cheep or that their cabinets were done wrong. I've seen this scenario happen over and over again.

• anne Brook

I have had SS in the last 2 houses.Don't like them but afraid if I went with one of the black SS I would end up with all different shades if one broke down and had to replace .The bloody companies re to blame for changing shades/colours every few yrs so you are forced to buy a whole new set. I think I might go back to white next time.

• triciajoelle

luckybrooky... you are so right! I have black stainless... just fridge and dishwasher. When looking, the GE had a tint of gold, and the shading was different from store to store. Then one manufacturer had a beautiful deep rich black stainless (original stainless line), but when the next years models came out- the black stainless is different. I agree wholeheartedly with you!!!

• Cheryl Freewalt

Don't they make car paints that work for all cars or was I just imagining that? Could be. However, if enough people complained, then the industry would have to standardize the colors. So what you are purchasing is an appliance you like for the features but in the color you want. I'm still sticking with white for the much lesser expense. And, although I really like white cabinets in other people's homes, I don't think I could stand white cabinets in my own home. So, I'll never have the problem of matching my white appliances to white cabinets--or countertop for that matter. I have enjoyed reading everyone's comments. I feel as though I actually learned a lot.

• Sophia Snyder

The best thing is that love is in the home. It is nice to have the greatest and newest trends, but makiing sure love is in the home is the most important.

• Jerry Jorgenson

By not standardizing the colours, the manufacturers lock in people who need everything to match. I don't know about the auto paint shops. I'm sure they can paint them just fine, but I wonder how the appliance will work after it gets hauled to the paint shop and back.

• Cher

Jerry, I am sure you are right that people buy everything from one manufacturer to make sure they match. I was not talking about taking an appliance to a paint shop. Sorry you didn't understand my point about standardized colors.

• Jerry Jorgenson

I understood that it would be nice if there was an industry standard set of colours so that you could mix and match brands. I can't see that ever happening though.

ALLBRiGHT

Stainless steel can look beautiful! It's all about matching it with the other colors in your kitchen. Everything from the floors & trim to the backsplash & cabinets should all tie together with your appliances.

• Breea G
    I'm not a fam only because they start to look dirty if you really use your kitchen. My chef friend, who is a very clean human, had them installed and she (a year later) really regrets it.
  • Breea G
    fan*
  • vegasrenie

I love the look and I've had stainless in one house or another for about 13 years. My current (and last!) home has major appliances in the fingerprint resistant stainless, which is also magnetic, by the way. I don't like black, the black stainless is attractive but would make my tiny kitchen a cave, and I don't care for the other colors. I'm very pleased with stainless and can't imagine my kitchen - which is used daily - without it. To each his own!

• jd1201

We just bought the LG Studio package (all appliances) in black stainless. We have the most beautiful cherry cabinets. Everything looks stunning! This finish looks so high end. We had stainless but these are so beautiful! The cabinets, floor, countertop were already here when we bought the house. Someday we will get new countertops but for now we are happy.

Kitchen Magic

Very rich looking! Nice job coordinating.

• triciajoelle

I posted earlier about black stainless. It looks great in my kitchen..... until today- biggest mistake of my life. Over two thousand dollars for a counter depth French door, 2 drawer fridge. It's been a year and a half. VERY CAREFUL with it as to not scratch. Even, when removing the protective front plastic, I left pieces behind handles in the event someone used the fridge and a (fingernail) guide. Today I was wiping it down with a paper towel and professional stainless cleaner.as I do once awhile, and noticed on the top edge of the drawer- a brown mark, rust colored. I wiped gently and low and behold- the black stainless coating peeled off effortlessly. RIDICULOUS! Under it it regular stainless. Not sure if I can mention the brand. (It's two letters). I do not know what the brown spot was- but it definitely was not food- it would be almost impossible to spill something with the position of this spot. I'm thinking the stainless underneath was "pitting"?

• celestina89

@triciajoelle: Sorry to say but it sounds like the stainless steel under it all is rusting. Yes, stainless steel can rust. Mfgs. use a chromium oxide layer to protect it. If it is scratches or damaged by any type of chemical, it's enough to cause the steel to rust aka tarnish. In all probability, the protective layer has been thinned by the mfg due to cost controls. You can clean out the corrosion and apply a protective coating. to prevent more rusting. Do make sure that is what you are seeing, first.

• triciajoelle

Thanks. It looked like rust, just on the top of the drawer- thin edge. I did not spill anything on it, so it came from under the black stainless paint/ coating. It's now a stainless patch, surrounded by the black stainless coating. There was no previous damage, and I've wiped it only a few times (3?) since I got it Spring 2016. This is because I kept the manufacturers plastic coating on it until a 6 months ago (for fear of damage- go figure!), then removed all but by handles. This is my Rolls Royce of my kitchen.... I even lined my interior to prevent stains/ scratches. I'm shocked that this is nothing more than paint/ coating on stainless steel,.

• celestina89

@triciajoelle If it is painted, then you can get a small bottle of that particular paint for repairs. Same thing as Auto paint to repair scratches, etc. Do make sure all the corrosion is cleaned out before you repaint that spot. I put in a link in my post above to a good site that gives you several different methods to clean out rust. The link is green colour. Once you repaint it with the mfg's paint, you are good to go and you won't notice it. It's possible the scratch might have been there or the mfg didn't thoroughly coat the steel with a good layer of chromium oxide. When you removed the protective seal, air got into it and it rusted. It happens even on high end vehicles.

Read the article I linked, contact the mfg for a sample size paint then repair it like auto peeps do. You can by the way, wax your 'frig for additional paint protection, too. Wouldn't you wax your "Rolls"? :)

• 86redvette

ON TREND IS APPLIANCES THAT BLEND WITH CABINETS, FOR EXAMPLE" DOORS ON FRIDGES, D/W THAT ARE CAMOFLAGED BY CABINET PANELS, ETC. DECORATING WITH STAND OUT COMMERCIAL APPLIANCES IS LIKE DECORATING A GARAGE DOOR , THERE NOT AN ARCHITECTURAL FEATURE AND NEITHER ARE STANDOUT APPLIANCES, ESPECIALLY IF YOU CAN'T/DON'T COOK....IMO

• triciajoelle

celeste89... thank you. After further inspections, it looks like a thin sheet of black stainless covering/ film was adhered to a regular stainless fridge, and that the base stainless rusted, lifting and peeling the covering off. Now I have a small "strip" of silver stainless on the top edge of a drawers where it meets the seam. It is smooth, not pitted, which is odd. This, for something that retails for on the manufacturers website at $4000, retailed at $2700. (counter depth, double drawer French door). I paid big box store cost. So I'd be afraid to wax it, being just a "coating" of black stainless finish. "Coating'- "film", not paint. Probably why it came off with very little pressure of a damp paper towel. If it were a solid stainless material, I would wax. (Not even going to get into the temp not holding and occasionally food is "sweating" in a room temp fridge while temp gauge says 37 degrees.... 1 1/2 yrs old!)

• derenze

We purchased Samsung black stainless steel oven and microwave. The appliances are now 18 months old and the door has started to flake --- leaving a silver finish in spots. It is unsightly and ruins my kitchen. If you don't want a very costly mistake, you should not purchase Samsung. The finish is a disaster!

• Lori Sawicki

Trying to decide on black stainless or regular stainless. Any thoughts?

• Jerry Jorgenson

Judging by the experience of others in this thread, black won't look nice for very long. So it's only okay if you replace your appliances every three years.

• triciajoelle

Stay away from black stainless. Mine is "peeling". The black coating on top of the stainless steel underneath. The manufacturer is (two letters, and NOT GE).

• misforminkGW

Why the hush about manufacturer? Says LG is the one that's giving problems if that's who it is. Helpful when people do searches about this stuff.

I can't believe they put a product on the market with that poor of a finish. That ridiculous and down right greedy.

• celestina89

OK, before you start dishing manufacturers - check the facts. Black Stainless steel accounts for 30% sales of the most popular brands including LG, Samsung, Frigidaire, Whirlpool and KitchenAid (these do NOT include the usual luxury brands like Thermador, VIking, Miele, Gaggenau, Wolf, La Corneu, Sub-Zero and others.

The finish - black steel is an oxide applied to stainless steel. IT CAN be scratched, chipped, peeled. And yes, it doesn't look good with a shiny scratch/chip in contrast to the black. So ANY black steel can cause appearance problems.

Tests were done by YALEAPPLIANCE.COM on Frigidaire, LG, Samsung, KitchenAid and Whirlpool. Samsung came out the best because they put a double layer of black oxide on their refrigerators. But it still had scratches. And the black oxide was the lightest hue of all the brands tested, so the contrast was less. And if you scratch hard enough - yeah, it will go all the way through to the stainless.

And do consider that you can buff those black stainless appliances of scratches just like car enthusiasts do with the scratches on their awesome collectable cars - buff with carnuba wax after cleaning with a MILD detergent and soft cotton rag or auto paint cleaning sponge which is really a soft car waxing sponge.

• derenze

Celestina- just a question -do you own an appliance store? You certainly have been pushing the whole black stainless steel issue and ignoring/dissing comments about its' staying power. I have a Samsung range-it does not have scratches-it has large pieces flaked off and the contrast between the black and silver is very noticeable! See my photo. Samsung does NOT have any "official touch-up" paint according to their customer service reps. I have followed their cleaning advice to the "T". I also had purchased an extended warranty, which they/ Best Buy will not honor because this issue is considered cosmetic. I paid a considerable sum for a horrible looking appliance which completely ruins the look of my kitchen. I am not the only one with this issue as the Samsung website has posts by customers hoping to start a class action lawsuit against Samsung for this costly disaster. Buyer beware.

• triciajoelle

Sheeisback... no mention of manufacture name because a lot of forums do not allow the name of specific manufacturers, and commented is prevented from being posted . As to not have my post flagged, I did not mention the manufacturers name. THAT is why the manufacturers name was not specifically listed.

• triciajoelle

celeste89... my black stainless DID NOT scratch. Since I have no kids, and treat it like a Ferrari... I NEVER thought in my wildest dreams that the LAST problem I would have with my black stainless would be the finish. I have the original plastic wrap still in front of where your hand would grab the handles, and have plastic shelf liner on the shelves. So, when I say "Treat like a Ferrari", I'm not kidding. What had happened with my black stainless was... when gently wiping with soft cloth, I saw what looked like a food smudge (highly impossible). It was brown/ rust in color on the top edge of the top drawer of my 2 drawer unit. Very easily, and without any real pressure, the black stainless coating flaked off, showing a bright silver edge. For an appliance that retails for nearly $4000.... it is ridiculous. So, in all due respect, I stand by my experience... DO NOT BUY BLACK STAINLESS. (Oh, that was within a year after purchase.)

• triciajoelle

And, as another poster mentioned... sometimes the factory doesn't coat heavily enough in areas, and this can be the reason that this has happened. Oxidation under the black stainless coating can happen. Which , AFTER LESS THAN A YEAR, it had with my refrigerator.

• triciajoelle

Derenze.... woah! Just saw your pic! Holy moly! Yup, that is the "flaking" that I have, but not nearly as large of a space. LG does not have touch up paint, either. The best I could do is replace the front of the drawer. BUT, matching the black stainless would be nearly impossible. Having been a "flipper", and constantly in appliance departments, basically to see if there are any good floor sample deals, I have noticed that the black stainless depth and color can be different from year to year, shipment to shipment (manufacturing time) and manufacturer to manufacturer. (My flaking fridge was for my own home, not a flip, and brand spanking new). Anyway... The odds of matching the depth of black in my stainless drawer to rest of fridge would be slim to none. (BTW, I think celestina89 suggested many posts back to get a car painter to paint an appliance for colored appliances, but if I remember correctly, changed her opinion when questioned. Run through the posts and look... So her (inconsistency of) opinion does not have much weight with me.) Think about it, between you and I , don't think we said ANYTHING about scratches, but she defends the finish and talks in length about scratches. "I know a lot about nothing".... pfff!

• misforminkGW

People always list names on these forums. I don't see why it would be a problem. I'm off to look at the rules here because in over a decade I don't recall it ever being an issue. And a flagged post doesn't necessarily get pulled, it gets reviewed though I believe it's more for out of line behavior but I could be wrong. Things are different with the Houzz takeover of Gardenweb.

• celestina89

Basically my post indicated that all black stainless have problems - some scratch, some peel, some chip. The wax solution to lessen the problem of the stainless underneath showing was just a suggestion. It does work on cars with steel bodies. Wax also works for certain appliances but I would check it out regarding heat such as a cook top or oven. And there are sites that give suggestions on repairing the black oxide coating.

I am not anti black stainless. I personally don't care for stainless steel appliances due to the shine. I am considering black stainless appliances for my project - cottage in the woods, but it's another 3 years before possible purchase. Perhaps they will improve - perhaps not. I don't know. I am also considering to have a white refrigerator repainted by an auto paint place with one the various colour scheme(s) I've selected so far. And also on my list is a possible counter depth with an applied panel for at least the fridge. However, that still leaves other appliances - steam/convection oven and cooktop.

As to ignoring "staying power" of black appliances, I gave info to the contrary. Of course, consider that it came from Yale Appliances. I'll give you another: The sales of black stainless appliances have been increasing every year since their introduction just two years ago in 2015 by LG & Samsung. GE started things off about late 2012-2013 with the intro of slate appliances.

Bosch has recently introduced their first black stainless steel for the kitchen and states that it has created a finish to help "guard against scratches and fingerprints". Samsung has also announced a new black finish.

Manufacturers are still tweaking their lines. Today the choice is Stainless (mid 1990s luxury, then 2000 appliance stores), Black Stainless (2015) and Black Slate (late 2017). Of course, there were the stainless steel kitchens of the 1950s (cabinets, sinks). And in 1960s Julia Child used a stainless steel oven on her show and her infamous Garland range.

In my book, the jury is still out. I'll wait a few years to see what really does take hold with the market. Until then I'm very content with my white refrigerator, microwave, oven and washer/dryer. Yeah, I know - I'm old school.

• Dorie
    Yes! It’s a great look. I’m tired of my regular stainless, so I’m replacing each one as needed. The black compliments the regular stainless.
  • lmfi

Darker appliances make the kitchen look sad.

• mjkjrobinson

I love the appliances in my kitchen! The only black stainless is my new oven, my new fridge is stainless! So ya I love them!

• Harper
    I just saw bronze appliances in one of my magazines. Its gorgeous.
  • Sophia Snyder

yes it is gorgeous.

• artsyphartsy_home_maker

N.O.

Loribeth Clark

chiflipper I suspect the reason you don't see features on the Jenn-Air Oiled Bronze appliances is because Jenn-Air discontinued that color at least three years ago. It will probably be a while before you see any kitchens that feature Whirlpool's Sunset Bronze since that color was only released and made available a few months ago. Since they even admit on their own website that it is not a color that will work in every kitchen, my guess is it will be a short-lived colored option.

• celestina89

ILVE appliances offer many colours and bronze features. They are a popular brand, made in Italy and available in the US. Whirlpool which owns Jenn-Air has played with copying European appliance features. Whether or not it catches on in the US remains to be seen. ILVE is offered by EuroChef USA.

• vegasrenie

FWIW, I saw a line of KitchenAid appliances in what I'd call a matte black stainless. Gorgeous!

• Hockeymom

We considered it but ended up going with stainless steel. I think it really depends on your cabinets/countertop selections. Looks great in this photo.

• vegasrenie

My new fridge is the Maytag stainless which is magnetic and easy to clean. It completed my small kitchen and now I'm finally able to put magnetic notes, etc. on the front of the fridge instead of the sides.

• Larry Wasson
    last year

New 2018. Bosch black stainless steel appliances have the black mixed with the stainless and so they do not show scratches. The matte finish does not show fingerprints. A matching stove will be introduced next year.

• Michael Lebert
    last year

SAMSUNG

• Michael Lebert
    last year

ESS