Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kerikarlsen

OMG my Alabaster White looks GREEN!!??? Only on Kitchen Cabinets

Keri Karlsen
6 years ago

Okay. So I have been having the HARDEST time with paint. I picked SW Alabaster white for my cabinets and trim and ceilings. It looks creamy true white everywhere except for my kitchen cabinets uncertain lighting. You can see the lower cabinets look white! But upper ones have a minty green tone. My kitchen gets a ton of daylight but when it's overcast that's when the green tint comes out, or as dusk when the sun is going down. I paid to have these cabinets done as well as my house painted (which by the way all of my grey paint looks blue) so I am having the painters come back to repaint and got samples/out different colors on the walls in different lighting to make sure the blue doesn't happen. My problem is I cannot afford to get the cabinets painted again too, and it really does look great everywhere else. Any advice as to a kitchen color that is grey that will help?

Comments (9)

• Keri Karlsen
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Here is another pic!

• Keri Karlsen
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Okay thank you! Yeah I think I am just hyper sensitive to it right now because like I said I picked out grey for my kitchen/hallways etc and it came out like ice blue/lilac almost. The painters said they would re-do it but I know the cabinets would cost $$$. I'll definitely try changing the light bulbs out. How do I tell the Kelvins? The ones I have show watts and lumens.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    6 years ago

I think I am just hypersensitive to it right now because like I said I picked out grey for my kitchen/hallways etc and it came out like ice blue/lilac almost.

I agree. Humans have this thing called color constancy. It's why an apple looks red in sunny light on your kitchen table and it still looks like the same red on an overcast day in dim light. Essentially, you'll get used to it and because you know it's "white" your sensitivity to greeness will dissipate.

Every color of gray belongs to a hue family. It's possible the gray for your kitchen/hallways actually belongs to the blue hue family.

What's the color name and brand?

• Keri Karlsen
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Lori. The color I used in the kitchen and hallways was Shiny Lister by Behr. I used Distant Star in the bathrooms which is more of a blue gray but looks very blue in my master bathroom and grey blue in my downstairs bathroom. I have tile that are cream and I think that is bringing out the blue in my master. I am making the switch to SW Big Chill for hallways and bedrooms and then SW light French gray for bathrooms. The kitchen I am doing SW functional grey. These are all more black/brown undertones so hopefull it will look better! Attached are more photos, you can tell my living room looks lilac and hallways look blue as well as kitchen, and they are all painted Shiny Luster

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    6 years ago

Shiny Luster, maybe?

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

The color I used in the kitchen and hallways was Shiny Lister by Behr.

Yeah, it belongs to the blue hue family. It's right on the cusp of the blue-green hue family which is why it probably didn't look overtly blue on the chip/sample.

• Mikki Beam
    6 years ago

It is your light bulbs. Lowe's sells 2700 & 3000 Kelvin in every style. Read the back or side of the light bulb package.

• Mikki Beam
    6 years ago

I used Sherwin Williams Wordly Gray & Amazing Gray.