Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marja_welsh

1960's exterior--will paint help?

Marja Welsh
10 years ago
Hey design friends!!! Need some help here--I do not like these white blocks on the corners of the house--or the white frame on the front of the house. Considering painting them a brown...do you think that will make them less overpowering? Then what else do I have to paint brown to make it work? ...or thinking about having the corners stuccoed? ...or maybe put some stone on like the columns on the attached home?

Comments (40)

• PRO
    Homes Beautifully Interior Design And Home Staging
    10 years ago
    I think paint will help, but I would go for a lighter shade of paint, not darker. I would go for a neutral cream shade for the exterior, and add color to the yard with a tree, nicely shaped bed with a few shrubs and flowers. If you want to add an accent color, I do like your idea of adding some stone to the exterior of the property; warmer colored stone if using a warm shade of paint and vice versa....Good luck!
  • PRO
    CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
    10 years ago
    I'd totally paint the block corners. They don't work for the style of the home at all. They are not a good focal point.
  • januarisun
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I wouldnt stucco over it. That would take away, any dimension, the home has. I think a med-light grey would like great. Pick a color that is in the same family, as your roof, and it will make the home look more cohesive.
  • Marja Welsh
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I should have been more clear--the teal is staying. I was just thinking of going a brown on the blocks so they don't pop as much. Also, the roof is brown, and there is a huge carrotwood tree in the front yard. :) Thanks for all the help!
  • Marja Welsh
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    ...another thought was to put some large shrubs in front of the corners to hide them! :)
  • kmichaelson
    10 years ago
    I think painting the blocks would help them blend in, but I don't know if brown might be a bit too dark? I like the suggestion of a cream color above--it's not that much darker, but I think it would tone the contrast down a bit. Whatever color you choose, you might tie it in by painting the door to match or a complementary color. Also, some tall thin evergreens could really downplay the blocks if you don't like them at all.
  • Chrissy McCleery
    10 years ago
    I would do driveit on white bricks. I would paint a dark tan but not brown. It will be overpowering. I would put 2 arched (to coordinate storm door) trellises in front of white framed rectangle. And grow clematis or climbing roses.
  • Laurie
    10 years ago
    You have such a cute mid-century modern home. Don't take away from the original design of the home. Keep it! I would definitely paint it another colour scheme though. I'd also get a new front door. They one you have doesn't work with the design of the home.
    Here is a good site to go to for inspiration. http://retrorenovation.com/
    Lowes has just started carrying a new line of doors that would look great on your house. They aren't on their site yet, but you can view them in a book at the store and here: http://www.thermatru.com/products/entry/fiberglass-entry-doors/plf/index.aspx#/dso:door-ari_3-lite-fc2cl/go:dl/cfg:sd/
  • januarisun
    10 years ago
    Oh, I see. I was wondering why you wanted to paint them brown if you had a grey roof! LOL... You have a brown roof; that makes more sense. The teal is beautiful, especially for a home in sunny FL. To me, the disconnect is with the roof because it's the only brown on the house. I think you're right to bring shades of the roof color down onto your house and onto the decorative corners.
  • Dar Eckert
    10 years ago
    At a minimum paint the corner blocks the same color as the wall. I think I would stucco the entire front or put up horizontal wood on the front except for the garage. Stucco the rest. remove the shutters & get a new front door. Of course you'll hate the white garage door when all the other white is gone so you may end up getting a new garage door.
  • songofsolomon
    10 years ago
    Adorable house, the color is both beautiful and popular again. I personally would paint the white blocks the same color as the house, but leave the garage and front door white. I would definitely landscape, adding some colorful tropical shrubs in the front, especially where that odd horizontal rectangle is. I might put a specimen tree there with tropical plants underneath, and the next layer add some colorful flowers. Good luck with whatever you choose!
  • januarisun
    10 years ago
    Earlier today, I noticed that my neighbor painted his entire house a coffee color. He also painted over his decorative corners. It looks horrible. It looks like an amateur paint job. I'm hoping that he isn't finished because the house was a beautiful warm grey and cream, when they bought it.
  • decofriend
    10 years ago
    Neat home! The architectural details are worth keeping. To lessen their impact paint them the same color as the body of the house or just a degree lighter. Plant an attractive large shrub or dwarf tree in front of the rectangular feature and then two large upright planters on either side of the garage door. Finish out the landscaping with a gently curving bed of low plants/shrubs. Use a garden hose to plan a curve that leads the eye (and guests) to your front door. Spiffy up the door for a nice focal point.
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    10 years ago
    Those corner blocks are called quoins (pronounced coins) and are frequently made of stone. I suggest painting them a light tan color. I would paint the front door, the garage door, and shutters a darker shade of the color you paint the quoins. The diagonal squares within the white framework on the right side of the house I would paint to match the quoins.
  • rouxb
    10 years ago
    If you paint the corner blocks anything other than the color of the wall they will be emphasized. Is that what you want to do?
  • pattiegoode
    10 years ago
    Stone color paint, selected with the roof in mind, will work wonders. Consider taking down the shutters - they look wrong on such a long window.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Yes, pattie is right, those shutters break the basic rule of shutters which is that they should be big enough to look like they would cover the window if they actually opened and closed.
  • Marja Welsh
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you for all the helpful info! So the shutters are actually cemented to the house and are probably made of cement. :(
  • Marja Welsh
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Carolyn, so then I'll need to paint the trim at the top too right? And the underside of the awning is white as well. What about the actual frame? Same as the quoins or darker? Thanks!
  • minischnauzlady
    10 years ago
    What ever color you like for the body of the house, do the corner Blocks lighter or darker shade of the same color
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I wish someone would photoshop this house with tan added. I'd like to see how it would look with 2 shades of tan trim and door plus the white vs. 2 shades of tan on all the trim and the door.
  • januarisun
    10 years ago
    Marja, I have those shutters on my house as well. I thought that they were cement, and then the painter said that they weren't. Turns out mine are stucco over wood. I like them, but if you really want to remove them, tap on them and see if they're hollow.
  • curryj
    10 years ago
    I think if you paint the cornor bricks and the white frame a contrasting color they will show up more. If you dont like them you dont want to draw attention to them. Paint them the same color of the house and they will disappear. I would remove the storm door on the front and replace the existing light fixture to one that is larger. Landscape the front with deep green boxwood plants and holly. A picket fence would make this a precious cottage.
  • lallastark
    10 years ago
    darling house...character and personality...great color...don't go boring beige or brown...play it up....put in your landscaping first....maybe some tropicals across the front and an inviting seating area under the big beautiful tree...a path to the sidewalk....not the driveway....and voila....
  • PRO
    PaintColorHelp.com Dallas
    10 years ago
    I wouldn't worry about the roof color. It's not that visible. Just change your door, add a mod light, landscaping as others have said. Blend the quoins away by painting them the body color or one shade lighter. Anything that goes white or brown will attract the eye.
  • nancy22032
    10 years ago
    You might paint the quoins teal to hide them, possibly put a tall narrow trellis in front of them with a colorful vine like trumpet or bougainvilla (sp?) . This could make up for the lack of shrubs or other greenery.
  • bormetts1
    10 years ago
    You could try going with an earthy green tone, it might help make it look newer. The more neutral the shade the newer it will look.
  • sharleeg
    10 years ago
    if it were my home, I would paint out the quoins the same color as house. They are making too much f a statement in any accent color, but particularly white. Just having the depth is enough in my opinion.I would pain the garage door, and trim a very, very diluted, pale version of the house body color, with just the hint of the blue in the white.I would remove that storm door. In you need a screen door i would do a full length one that the frame is painted the same diluted blue. i would paint h wood door inside a deep, dark tone of the blue. Have fun!
  • PRO
    Infinity Countertops
    10 years ago
    Ditch that screen door with the arch for a transitional one. Remove the shutters. Paint house eliminating the highlighting of the corner blocks. What do you think?
  • PRO
    William Roy Designer Kitchens
    10 years ago
    Infinity counter tops is onto something. Black trim around doors, windows and gutters works very well with most any base color.
  • PRO
    Harmoni Designs + Build
    10 years ago
    If you want to stay with the color for the house, you could use a slightly darker color in the same color family as the house for the corner stones to still get a little depth and detail, but it would tone it all down a bit. You might want to consider painting the remaining trim around doors and windows the same darker color and the shutters as well.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Hey, Nancy, your trellis idea is super cool!
  • nancy22032
    10 years ago
    Thanks Carolyn for your kind words. I like lallastark's advice too - stay away from dreary browns & grays. I really enjoy exterior upgrading suggestions - such a wide variety of ideas.
  • doctornancy
    10 years ago
    I like painting the quoins a slighter lighter shade of blue than the house and adding a bright cherry red door and some fun house numbers .... and a rose bush (or bougainvilla)! Carolyn wanted to see the house with tan quoins, so..... I did that too. I prefer the first pallette of colors.
  • PRO
    Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
    10 years ago
    Hi Marja Welsh, Marie here.
    I happen to adore the exterior of your home- and find that if you paint the corners an alternate colour, it will only bring more attention to them - so my best advice is to not go there.

What you do need to do is in the careful consideration of your accessories for your home - maybe change out the white lamp on the lawn to black, add updated black light fixture on the porch, and black house numbers.

I happen to love them in white, so I've left my image of those in white.

Concentrate on adding more life and colour to your garden - keep an eye out for some retro inspired planters. find some gorgeous planters with your teal blue and black in your planters. Like this retro inspired teal planter I found on Ebay...perfection!

Good Luck with your project -
  • PRO
    Carolyn Choi
    10 years ago
    debora carl landscape design · More Info
    I like your house just like it is -wouldn't touch a thing. The landscape can be improved with removal of the current plantings near the foundation. Don't know what zone you're in but if its sub-tropical or tropical a landscape like the one below would look great with your home's style.
  • PRO
    CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
    10 years ago
    Honestly after looking at the pics of the house photoshopped I would leave it as is. Or paint the coins the same turquoise.
  • lesliehagan
    10 years ago
    I'd paint the blocks a shade darker or lighter than the teal, whichever you think would look nicer. They'd still "trim" the house, but not jump out at you.
  • Marja Welsh
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    You all are wonderful! Thank you for all your help! Still undecided on what to do...so I may just leave as-is. Was thinking of grabbing some large queen palms to throw in front of the quoins and adding some copper plants. ...and maybe painting the inside of the frame white--I've noticed some other houses in the neighborhood have theirs painting on the inside too.