Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thecrazeecow

How would I make my entrance more "grand"?

Thecrazeecow
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

This is the very first thing you would see when you enter the house. I am wondering how I would make the space more stylish and welcoming, and more "grand".

The space looks largeish in the photos but it feels pretty small. I have a fairly large budget, over 10K, and I thinking of replacing the floor, lights, adding sconces, molding, and refinishing the cabinets for a lighter colour, but do not know what to go for. Currently the walls are plain white and the trim is Sherwood-Williams "Greek Villa" high gloss.

this is another angle, with the stairs and the door. I do not know what to do with the stair flooring, if I should keep the carpet or go with laminate.

I really like Luxe traditional and a bit of modernism. I am definitely replacing the front door and open to any suggestions. Thank you so much, any ideas are appreciated!

Comments (13)

• PRO
    WW Love Your Home
    6 years ago

Okay this is what I would do ... new light fixture, new wall color and new trim color, new artwork on the walls and new color for stair rail -dark wood.

Thecrazeecow thanked WW Love Your Home
  • PRO
    Jessie Rasche Art Studio
    6 years ago

Your space has great bones. Is one of these the style that you like?

Old World Luxe · More Info

Modern Elegance in Berwick · More Info

If you need new artwork for your grand entry, and my art speaks to you, I'd love to be of service. :) I'm an award winning modern realist painter (landscapes, portraits).

Paintings · More Info

Paintings · More Info

Portrait Art painting of child and dog · More Info

And also paint abstracts.

Abstract Art Blue Monochromatic Painting · More Info

Call or email if I can help.

I'm sure your entry will be lovely!

Jessie

Thecrazeecow thanked Jessie Rasche Art Studio
  • justbeckyg
    6 years ago
    I agree with Patricia's comment above but I would add that the floors are a problem. The first thing I noticed was that 3 different floors are visible as soon as you enter. I would change the foyer and kitchen floors to just one floor and add a large foyer rug, the one you have is way too small. I would also paint the stair spindles white with a black handrail.
    Thecrazeecow thanked justbeckyg
  • Maria Privat
    6 years ago

Although the tiles on each floor are nice enough, it works way better when the same style is continued. Here the hall is different from the kitchen. The pattern in the kitchen seems more inquisite and thus more appealing to me.

That the tiles in the hallway are diagonally laid, is nice enough. But then it needs to fit in a 'frame' of normally laid ones on the side. I added a picture to show what I mean. But since your hallway is smaller, so the 'trimming' must be smaller.

Sonya R · More Info

To me your interior seems like the eighties, nineties. I would definitely lose that drapery in the kitchen. The bar stool doesn't seem to fit the rest of the kitchen. If it is black, it may stay, if you go along with my other kitchen ideas.

You seem to have several beige-grey things. Classical kitchen cabinets in that color might appeal to you. With a mostly black countertop and black appliances to complement it, since you already have several black things in the hallway and obviously like that color. The railing of the stairs could be in that same grey or in black too. Find lamps in black as well with a slightly modern touch (still fitting they overal classical style).

Once you've done all that it is time to consider whether the carpet on the stairs can stay or has to go. You don't hear any footsteps on the carpet and that's a big plus to keeping the carpet.

What exactly is wrong with the front door? Fits right in now. You could place some very narrow elegant black tables in the hallway (maybe tailormade for you?). But they would preferably need to go up all the way to the bottom of the current pictures. Which means those pictures have to be replaced by something less large. On the second table you could place a fragile lamp and a low decorative ornament as a focal point. Do not clutter it.

Have fun!

Thecrazeecow thanked Maria Privat
  • auntthelma
    6 years ago

A floor with an inlay is a very 'grand' look.

Traditional Kitchen · More Info

Classic Palladian Villa · More Info

Cove Residence · More Info

Thecrazeecow thanked auntthelma
  • rawegg
    6 years ago

agree with earlier poster that said to start with the kitchen. Your tiles in entrance doesn't seem to match the tile in kitchen. Perhaps add carpet tiles from FLOR to draw attention away from that? https://www.flor.com

Also consider adding a console table on the wall next to the kitchen and change out the light fixture in the hallway and kitchen.

Thecrazeecow thanked rawegg
  • User
    6 years ago

sure you don't want to use that 10k for wood flooring through the entire first floor? that would make the biggest and most elegant change for the whole space.

Thecrazeecow thanked User
  • cpaul1
    6 years ago

You walk into your house and look directly into the kitchen? That's not good. Is there any way you can dry wall off that entrance to the kitchen? If not, then I would put in a custom decorative wrought iron "gate" door (maybe even with a mirrored back) inside that entry to the kitchen to close that off. And then the flooring from the entrance needs to be the same and follow into the kitchen. You need a chandelier in the entry way. And then I'd update that staircase to correspond with the iron inlay wall "door". I would probably put a large faux tree on the right side to help offset how that entrance is not centered on the wall.

Thecrazeecow thanked cpaul1
  • grapefruit1_ar
    6 years ago

I would spend the money on new wood floors throughout the first floor. Then get a new chandelier, paint the walls, revamp your art. Then when the budget allows you can think about other things. The new floors will have a huge impact.

Thecrazeecow thanked grapefruit1_ar
  • PRO
    Jodie White Designs
    6 years ago

I would not replace door. Paint it in a high gloss black. You could add a glass wooden storm door for light and curb appeal. Painted black as well. That being said would be helpful to see the exterior of your home.

Your floors are in need of unity as stated above first and foremost. I hate to see you spend most of your budget on floors. Try and find a solution to make it work if you can first, if not go to plan B. See attached samples to see if you think it could match. Paint Cabinets in kitchen with new hardware. See window for updated look without valance. Pendant lightnings and foyer lighting to coordinate with a new updated modern feel. Paint Banister black for contrast against white/cream walls. The space in the foyer I guessed as size? Table measurement to fill space and add bling. Simple yet elegant and fun with your furnishings that I can see in photo. If money left in budget new stairway carpet. I believe in prioritizing and making your dollar go as far as you can without compromising the look you are trying to achieve. Hope this helps.

Thecrazeecow thanked Jodie White Designs
  • apple_pie_order
    6 years ago

If you want it to be grand, you need to block the view to the kitchen.

Thecrazeecow thanked apple_pie_order