Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tran0380

need help with boring family room please

tran0380
10 years ago
Need Help With Everything! ThinKiNg About Changing.Paint Colors And I Need New Couch. Though Unable To L_ Shape With Couches.thouGh

Comments (7)

• oneofeleven
    10 years ago
    I agree that a change of paint colour would help. This room looks like it's getting a lot of light. Why don't you paint it something lighter but brighter. The television should be moved down. Ideally the set is placed so your eyes are at the center. You could place one sofa with its back to the dining room table and replace the other one with a couple of chairs in a fabric. Some drapery panels would warm the space up too.
  • PRO
    HERE Design and Architecture
    10 years ago
    Yes - drop the tv and put some art on the wall. I like the grey and would also consider painting the wall at left grey, so that the space feels less long and narrow. When you get your new sofa(s), you might get something less heavy-looking - lighter in color and more rectilinear - relating better to that cabinet as well as the size of the room. You might also consider an area rug with some color in it.
  • PRO
    HERE Design and Architecture
    10 years ago
    Actually - I think a warmer grey might be better.
  • libradesigneye
    10 years ago
    Start with a rug with colors you like plus a little black and white. That will give you color inspiration for the walls - don't rush that. A large piece of art for the left wall next - same color scheme if possible . . . but a black and white portrait gallery with identical mats and frames would be another safe choice. Green with black and gray is tough to be really warm, and it is okay to have a room that feels cool, but it needs some color balance. Look at overstock for rugs so you don't worry about whatever happens to it (see the toys). Nice open space useful with little ones, but add some end tables and low lamps so that lighting can be cozy. Finish with one colorful throw when you determine where you are headed color wise.
    tran0380 thanked libradesigneye
  • tran0380
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I am here! Thanks for the feedback :)
  • libradesigneye
    10 years ago
    You are welcome. Do you have a favorite color or color combination you want to suggest? Black and white really wants some gray in a mid-tone, and is really the most charming with yellow/dijon or turquoise (blue-green). The green/stone gray tone on the wall would better be a clear gray like sw light french gray.

Red and orange are a bit harsh with black. Eggplant / raisin and geranium / rose tones can work but are a bit more challenging to integrate but work equally well and together with the grays / black and white. Add gray fabrics - gray flannel / throws, you could paint some end tables gray in a different shade than the wall . . hit the mid-tone of the range. That is one of the reasons I suggested black and white photos . . but after you select an accent color, you may select a mat in those accent tones.

Maybe go art shopping first - do you find a piece of art for over the sofa that you love that has some of those predominant tones? Finally, right now if you have little ones it can be nice to have the middle open, but maybe try (in your accent color) a pair of the ottomans with a tray that can flip over as a coffee table - those can be moved about but would add color.