Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chriscalandro2

David Austin - Lady of Shalott

Easy Squeezy
6 years ago

First year and first blooms of Lady of Shalott. Planted in mid-February in SF. Very impressed with the health and very vigorous growth. I'm pretty sure I'll have to prune it in the summer (like I do with GC). Awesome fiery orange, peach, yellow blooms. Fragrance is a light but very nice sweet, honey spicy fragrance. Now for the money shots :) :

Comments (26)

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    6 years ago

Oh my gosh your Los is on fire gorgeous!!! I love it !! Is it planted near Gc because that would be a great combo

Easy Squeezy thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
  • Ingrida
    6 years ago

Lovely photos of a beautiful rose.

Easy Squeezy thanked Ingrida
  • kentucky_rose zone 6
    6 years ago

Lovely, vibrant colors.

Easy Squeezy thanked kentucky_rose zone 6
  • Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    6 years ago

Looks beautiful!!!

Easy Squeezy thanked Prettypetals_GA_7-8
  • Sara-Ann Z6B OK
    6 years ago

Very beautiful, ES, so vibrant!

Easy Squeezy thanked Sara-Ann Z6B OK
  • Valerie McGrath-Nichols 5b_4a_CO
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Gorgeous. I can't wait for mine to get some blooms. I hope they are as vibrant and orange as yours.

• aprilscott12
    6 years ago

She's a bright happy one! Looks lovely!

Easy Squeezy thanked aprilscott12
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    6 years ago

Wow. The color of the sunset. It absolutely glows

• Ashley Zone6b
    6 years ago

Beautiful Rose and beautiful photos!

• User
    6 years ago

EasySqeezy, that last shot of the 2 open blooms showing the lovely golden yellow reverse is exactly how I remember this scrumptous rose. Thank you.

Easy Squeezy thanked User
  • totoro z7b Md
    6 years ago

Mine has just finished her first flush. I miss her! I hope she bounces back from the massive pruning I had to give her to get rid of spider mites.

6 years ago

I bought an own root, bare root LOS from David Austin Roses. Wow! It has grown at least a foot and a half already and is so healthy. No blooms yets (bummer), but I am very happy with this rose.

• Easy Squeezy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Valerie, mine was own root too, and is fairly large now only three months in. Have several canes 3-4 feet high and probably 3 feet wide as well. Very bushy two. About to start blooming on my second round of buds. Mine is also in a container - so I imagine planting in the ground it goes nuclear.

• Easy Squeezy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

LOS in 4K :) even caught a Bumble Bee

• toddscv
    6 years ago

Love this rose.

Easy Squeezy thanked toddscv
    6 years ago

I have one more section of the front yard to still landscape, after we remove a 50 year old juniper that is.

The juniper takes up a 20ft x 20 ft and about as tall. Once we remove that sucker we will have a huge space to work with.

The opposite side of the porch has Julia Child and Sunset Dreams and the JC is carried out as a 3 rose hedge between the neighbors.

I am thinking Lady of Shallot to go with the yellow. Or maybe more than one.

There will be a couple of huge boulders, hopefully one will be drilled to to be a fountain, the other to cover the heat pump. That still gives me to s of space to fill. Daunting lol

Easy Squeezy thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • Easy Squeezy
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

First May 2018 blooms - 2nd year for the Lady....

5 years ago

Whoo hoo those are fabulous

Easy Squeezy thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • Mike - CO Zone 5
    5 years ago

Potted 29 days ago :)

5 years ago

Wow. That looks so good healthy. Blooms will be next

5 years ago

Where at in CO? I'm in Palmer Lake, north of the Springs. I have a new bareroot LOS planted also about a month ago. Yours looks much larger than mine!

• Mike - CO Zone 5
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Nice! I'm in Aurora. If it makes a difference I believe this one is own root from David Austin website. Getting sun pretty much all day and have used liquid fish fertilizer twice. Also ordered Queen of Sweden at the same time (smaller but still looked the same as my first picture) that is doing well, but not close to the size of the LOS.

• Jonathan Ball
    4 years ago

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to ad my comments based on a three year old plant. It grows very well in my zone 7 garden. It blooms well but the flower scent is scarce. I was very disappointed since I’ve read that LOS has a wonderful strong scent. NOT SO!! At least, not in my case. It’s canes are archimy outwards to at least 8 feet, and the foliage is deer and disease proof. I too dress the plant with compost yearly but otherwise leave it alone. I would much rather have planted a different David Austin rose in retrospect (something a bit more floriferous and scented), but I’ll give it another year to see whether it improves this next year

• purilisaVA-zone7B
    2 years ago

How does LOS do in full sun. Have heard varying reports on performance, stops blooming, or if she blooms color gets washed out, with others reporting it is a prolific bloomer. Does it need to be planted in partial shade?

• Easy Squeezy
    Original Author
    2 years ago

May 2021 Blooms!

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012