Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
homerreno2012

How to choose modern and fresh paint colours?

homerreno2012
6 years ago
Dilemma! New house purchase and I need to paint. I like the new modern gray tones but not sure it will go well with these floors! What do you recommend?

Comments (18)

• jdtm1
    6 years ago
    Have you consider a colour like "bone"? Love the colour of your floors and cabinets (I am partial to "any and all types of" wood). Looks as if you are going to have a beautiful home ...
  • homerreno2012
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank-you! In not considered "bone" but will research this. I have never painted a house before as we have rented and walls have been bare/neutral for way too long! I'm looking to feel "home" cozzy, modern...
  • homerreno2012
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank-you Jan! I was leaning towards gray tones, but nervous it would look off.
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Bath Renovations · More Info

Honestly? Almost ANY paint is better than what is there : ) YIKES! Nice warmth is all you need
    Master Bedroom Detail · More Info

• pitbulls
    6 years ago

You have a lot of warm tones with cabinet and flooring. Greige might be a better option than gray

• PRO
    Jessie Rasche Art Studio
    6 years ago

Have fun! Take home paint samples so you can see them with your lighting, and remember they'll look darker when you've covered the whole walls...

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

A warm gray is basically a "greige'...... but the direct and complimentary tone on the reddish tone of flooring and your cabinetry (and it's opposite on the color wheel) is green. Hence the greenish hue to the gray and the opposite of that red toned flooring and cabinetry.

All paint colors have a formula, and the formula can be tweaked with custom mixing. Isolate ANY chip on a color chip card, hold it alone and against white......too deep? Go up a shade, or have them cut it in half when they "shoot" the formula. You can always ADD pigments, and adjust.

In any scenario, you always want to give your eye the best chance to really "see" the color. Always isolate it. A mat board for testing,...... a little disposable brush, and test dry right there in the paint store. Leave a swath of white on the card.

Skip the big box stores, a good paint store is experienced and more patient. Don't go on home joe Saturday, and aim for the early afternoon on a weekday.

After that, its get brave an roll a WALL. Not the inky dinky sample swatches over orange paint. ...........you'll never get a sense of the color that way in YOUR room.

• apple_pie_order
    6 years ago

A light warm greige would look modern. See the sellers' rug in the photo? When your eye blends the two stripe colrs together, the result goes well with floor and cabinets. Or try this fashionable light yellow green wall paint, shown with cherry cabinets:

Cherry Kitchen · More Info

• homerreno2012
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Got it Jen! I'll be working with a local paint store vs big box! This is all good food for thought.

Apple-pie, I like that yellow pallet idea too, Could work well in the open concept with a splash of colour in some artwork.
  • lynartist
    6 years ago
    I think a gray tone would look very nice; it appears that your rug is in that tone and it looks great! No reason it wouldn't look good elsewhere.
  • homerreno2012
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Update! Paint has been chosen, we went with Collingwood by Benjamin moore for the entire house except for bedrooms. For Master, we chose tapestry beige also by BM
    question is, what to do about that ceiling fan??? We won't use it as we have central AC. Just a regular dome, I feel will look lost.
    Suggestions?
  • crystalpea
    6 years ago

A statement chandelier would be a great option to replace the fan if you really do not plan on using it. What is the furniture style for the room?

• homerreno2012
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    furniture
  • homerreno2012
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    what would you consider a statement chandelier?
  • lynartist
    6 years ago
    Depends what you like!
  • homerreno2012
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    oh! wow that does look beautiful. thanks for the suggestions!
  • crystalpea
    6 years ago

Whoops! Sorry, I had not been on Houzz in a while. lynartist is spot on with what I meant by statement chandeliers and found some great ones. Any of those would look good with your furniture, since it has such clean lines. I really like the 3rd one.