Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alison_pontipee

To sofa table or not to sofa table

Alison Pontipee
6 years ago

I was just gifted this sofa table and I can't decide if it looks strange in this space. I definitely think I want to paint it, but can't decide what to do there either. Thoughts?

**I know someone is going to talk about rearranging the furniture in this oddly shaped room, but after many discussions with all the wonderful people on Houzz, this seems to be the best fit.

Comments (22)

• hbfn
    6 years ago

The picture is really too dark to give an educated opinion (at least on my monitor)

• Alison Pontipee
    Original Author
    6 years ago

This should be better

• PRO
    Cinar Interiors, Inc.
    6 years ago

Is it a desk or a table? I only ask due to the ...thingy.. up top (ha sorry don't know what that is called). Looks a little tall for the area. If it were in my house I'm sure my wife would sand the legs down and paint them a lighter color.

• Alison Pontipee
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I was told it was a sofa table! I'm lost on all this. Wish I trusted myself enough to use a sander!

• cpaul1
    6 years ago

That doesn't look like a sofa table to me. It's too wide and it has a back on it. You could get away with putting it there if you had to by decorating around it, but no offense, decorating doesn't look like your strong suit. Get some help if you can from someone to help you with that space. Or otherwise I would try to just find another place for it in your house and set it up more as a desk or an entry table than a console table.

• gigirambles
    6 years ago

That looks more like a desk to me - sofa tables seem to be narrower.

• groveraxle
    6 years ago

It's too deep. Use it somewhere else.

• shirlpp
    6 years ago

Your room is arranged fine. Maybe you can re-gift the table, or find another room for it.

• Mary Archer
    6 years ago
    it does look tall for the space. would re-gift.
  • jbtanyderi
    6 years ago
    Widen the curtain rod to cover more wall and keep things in proper proportion to the overall height of the window. Centre the sofa with the table, and put a pair of lamps on it. The seating is very fat, not really suitable for a relatively small space.
  • groveraxle
    6 years ago

The room is unrelievedly brown. How about a new end table?

Safavieh Janika End Table & Reviews | Wayfair · More Info

• Kathy Yata
    6 years ago

Looks like a desk to me too. I once used my desk as a sofa table though. If you need a desk there then keep it. Once it has some accessories appropriate to its purpose it won't look strange. A lamp, box for bills and such and a desk chair might make it look right.

If that little mat is right in front of the door then this desk won't work unless you can move the furniture towards the wall with the arch window, it's interfering with the traffic pattern of the room.

• PRO
    Niche Interiors
    6 years ago

It's too deep! I think a true sofa back table (15-18" deep) would look good there.

Contemporary Living Room · More Info

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 years ago

No sofa table needed in this space. How do the feminne powder blue drapes relate to the masculine dark black leather sofas. I would change the panels and select larger end table that can support the correct size table lamps.

• groveraxle
    6 years ago

Oh, Beverly, I love the blue curtains. I love the spark they add to the room. I definitely wouldn't add more brown.

Alison, I also loved that blue end table and thought it was perfect with your drapes. Wayfair expects it back in stock in August and you can sign up to be notified when it comes in. (I've never actually done this, so I don't know how reliable they are or if they spam you with emails for the next three months. I do know that people seem to be pretty satisfied with Wayfair's service and policies, though.)

• everdebz
    6 years ago

Was it a bit too dark to see.... for me...

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Groveraxle, I love the blue drapery also, but the room looks schizophrenic. I bit lighter sofa with blue accents would be great for the room.

• alexandra garza
    6 years ago
    I think you did a good job. Why do you think it looks wrong.
  • PRO
    Superior Roman Shades
    6 years ago

I agree with Beverly. I think her suggestions make your sofas work in the room. Brown or neutral color window coverings tie everything together. I also agree with extending them beyond the window to create the right proportion for the room. You can add color in your toss pillows and rug.

• PRO
    VRA Interiors, LLC
    6 years ago

Can you use a desk somewhere else in the house? Do you have a home office elsewhere?

Wieuca Road · More Info

• hiccup4
    5 years ago

@Beverly, how do you know if a sofa table is needed or not in a space? I thought if you walked into a room and the first thing you see is the back of a sofa...then a sofa table solves that issue...?

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz