Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danioma

What can I do to make this room better?

danioma
6 years ago
Hi- I struggle with this room entirely. I am open to new furniture, rug, accessories, art....just am sort of in a decorating paralysis! Please give me your honest opinions.

Comments (4)

• acm
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I would remove all the scrollwork from your fireplace bookcases, as it feels a bit grandmotherly. And I'd move that painting, which practically hits the ceiling, over the couch, which needs it; then you can put two or three smaller prints over the mantel, with perhaps a vase or candlestick on each end. You need a coffee table in front of the couch and a floor lamp (or end table with reading lamp) at one end. You need to bring some of the painting's blue into the rest of the room, with some throw pillows or a different rug or something -- it's all too brown and tan right now.

This is a tricky room to arrange because of all the doors and windows. I'd sure love a better place for the TV, but I'm not alert enough for a whole-room rearrangement in my head right now. ;)

• hbfn
    6 years ago

For starters it looks really dark, lighting needed.. The furniture is pushed against the walls, I'd first decide the pieces you want & then plan it out (get assistance from a designer if needed). Decide what colors you want. I would also redesign the fireplace surround, maybe remove all the woodwork & either have new built extending it or use some other material extending it to the ceiling. Lot of possibilities for the fireplace, depends upon your need & wants.

• P Banos
    6 years ago

Get furniture off the walls. Ignoring tv location , can you turn the sofa at right angle to the fireplace? Then bring the chairs ( or at least one) forward opposite the sofa?

Can you make a floor plan with measurements, including doors, windows, fireplace and the length of the sofa?

Once you figure out furniture layout you can look for lights, tables and work on the fireplace etc

(For sure you need floor lamps!)

• katinparadise
    6 years ago

I would consider putting the t.v. on a more furniture like console on the wall where the sofa is. Then I would put the sofa perpendicular to the t.v. and fireplace with the two chairs across from it and a coffee table in between. After that's done, the case goods can be rearranged to better positions.