Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
latintin83

Weird Entry way Solution Needed

Miss TDF
6 years ago

How do I make a statement with this entry way? I have a beautiful home but I feel like the entry way is just " there". We just got a fresh coat of paint so thats why the table is empty. But I had an orchid on it, a photo of my family and a candle in a large votive. I am looking for unique and creative ideas to spruce up the entry way table. I would have loved to hang a nice mirror or art work in my entry way but as you can see I have no wall... or rather 1/4 of a wall behind the console table. My home is decorated modern/ contemporary.

Comments (34)

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

I would do a floor lamp and chair...the table just isn't working because of the wall height..looks like you have just enough room for a small accent chair and a lamp...this one is slender with a small base so would fit snug next to chair.

add a throw and a small lumbar pillow...change out the runner for a small round in front of door...

• v3ra
    6 years ago

Stunning! But I see a lot of straight lines and sharp, right angles. Maybe it needs something curvy and soft to be more inviting and less severe.

• Maria Privat
    6 years ago

Love your home! The table does fit nicely in between. To me the black color of it seems to attract the eye to it, so I might prefer a white table instead.

Personally I like it when it has a rather low and wide floral center piece on it. With of course fake flowers, that look real. In a pot that matches the beautiful vase you already have. The color(s) that you would put there, could come back as an accent color in a runner, that is a bit wider than your current one.

Apart from the warm wood you seem to go strictly by a black & white, grey and beige color scheme. On a white table a floral center piece with black roses in it might look attractive. I myself would put in a dark red (as well). A light salmon orange would be a softer tone, which would blend in more.

If that is a rather dark spot in the hallway, you could place a non-intrusive small lamp there, that doesn't reach as high as the dining room floor. Be sure the lamp is a bit higher than the flower arrangement is and of course you would have to put that more to one side then.

Have fun making this part of your home work for you.

• claire_larece
    6 years ago
    You still purchase a mirror but it would have to lean against the railing or you can lean paintings in different sizes with big nice vase with Cala Lilies inside of it settled on the side of the smaller painting
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

Oh no...you would see the backs of the art or mirror from the upper room..looks like a very pretty dining room...

• mrykbee
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I don't see the point of any furniture there. If you want to "make a statement"-- How about an artsy lighted aquarium? I picked these not because they fit exactly but because they're different and make a statement:

Or, to go another way, what do you do for a living? What is your passion? Showcase that. Make a tiny museum.

For instance, if you teach Chaucer at the local university, put one of these and a tapestry:

Medieval Armor Knight With Poleaxe and Shield Statue · More Info

If you're a chiropractor, put something like this:

If you're a car enthusiast put something like this:

If you're a librarian, put a little one of these:

If you're a geologist:

Are you a yarn bomber? Yarn bomb the hell out of a little bench:

Basically, you have a chance to do something that isn't boring and in everybody else's house here..... What do you do? Show it off! GOOD LUCK!

• claire_larece
    6 years ago
    Not if the paintings or mirror ends at where the railing starts
  • katinparadise
    6 years ago

What are the accent colors you use in your home? You could put a smaller piece of artwork on an easel on the table. Then add a lamp and a pretty glass bowl. Or you could do a pretty decorative plate on an easel or stand with some chunky modern candlesticks and pillars.

• Irene Morresey
    6 years ago
    Now this may scare you lol. You haven't much room there, hard to tell. Be adventurous, add tiger, cheetah or zebra chair or ottoman if you have room a potted Palm. Some ideas in pic, naturally to a smaller scale, but would sure be an eye opener. If you go that direction, put candle or vase in that theme in that little niche by the door. I might be right off the beaten track with this, but you have to be bold, lovely home
  • claire_larece
    6 years ago
    I like your last scheme Irene very exotic
  • Miss TDF
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@ Home Interiors with ease and @Irene Morresey. I like the idea of putting a chair in the entry way. The rug in my living room is zebra print ( See Picture #1), so the animal print ties in great. In fact, I bookmarked the picture below with the zebra print bench as inspiration for my future entryway scheme ( Picture #2) . However, is the chair just for decor or is there a functional
    reason for it? I forgot to mention that we do not wear shoes at home, including guests, so I need a solution for shoes in the entryway. Since i took the pictures while the paint job was going on, i had moved the baskets that were under the table. I have included a picture that inspired this and i have those exact baskets. We are big footed in my home, so all those benches with footwear storage are too small for our shoes. So any ideas on where shoes will go? At bare minimum have 3 pairs of our outside shoes by the door.

• Miss TDF
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@mrykbee cool idea with the aquarium but I am still figuring out how to care for the koi pond in our backyard so not ready for an aquarium. I love aquariums so maybe one day...when I can afford the time and money for it. In regards to displaying our work..unfortunately we do not have cool professions we are passionate enough about to stare at every day we walk into the house from work :) But great ideas... you never know when something may click!

• Miss TDF
    Original Author
    6 years ago

What kind of chair will look better? A high winged one or the vintage ( i think thats what its called!?!) with curvy legs?

Uttermost Chalina High Back Armchair · More Info

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    6 years ago

I think you are wise to go with a seat. That fits the space and is much more practical than a table.

I would prefer a bench to a chair. The reason is, it appears the chair would be too deep for the space.

I like the wing chair much better. With all the vertical spindles of the stairs, the zebra horizontal stripes will fight the stairs.

Just make sure the chair is not higher than the floor above.

How deep is the inset area where you now have the table and how much deep is the hall that sits in front of the inset?

• Maria Privat
    6 years ago

A small word of warning: Not all hallways are big enough for all chairs or even for a chair. It might make the place look cramped and tiny. Looking at the pictures you posted, I'm pretty sure that's what it will do in your house.

You might have figured that out already, for instead of a chair you select a small bench that would fit right in between the staircases you have on both sides.

There is so much going on there already with all the small posts of the staircases, that you'd best take care to avoid any busy print. It might compete instead of complete. Giving you a feeling of unrest instead of tranquility.

Since you must be able to put your shoes somewhere, I'd go for matching boxes underneath that bench. No, I would go for matching boxes underneath the Table, for I think a Table will still do this tiny spot the most good. What do you need a chair there for anyway? To sit in and watch the door? So how is a chair more practical than any table? A bench might be possible though. But it will come with limitations that a table doesn't have, such as not being able to put something on it and it being lower.

It's your house. Take care not to make choices that look nice elsewhere, but not in your place. Measure things out. Borrow a chair from the neighbors to put there on trial if must be. Can you find a solution for the shoes? (Of course no-one knew of this problem before. But now we can take it into account.)

Take care now.

• C F Bird
    6 years ago

Split foyers are tough. I say get rid of that table. I would want art so since there is no wall, buy a sculpture big enough to sit on the floor and next to it perhaps a tall slender houseplant. It's OK for both or either to be so tall as to go up in front of the upper spindles. Good luck to ya.

• shirlpp
    6 years ago

All great ideas......except none address the elephant - the stair spindles and railing. These are your biggest obstacle, and a thought needs to go into updating them. The spindles and railing being the same oak color - YAWN!!

Foyer · More Info

Staircase · More Info

Rocky Ledge Stair · More Info

• Miss TDF
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    @shirlp awesome idea. Will do in the few years when removing the carpet thats on the rest of the stiarway. So this is a long-term project.
  • claire_larece
    6 years ago
    I agree with CDR and Maria I don't think a chair would be nice in the middle of the landing unless you're planning on placing a very small accent chair with a table and lamp just for show
  • C F Bird
    6 years ago

Think long before painting stained wood. Paint and colors come and go but stained wood never goes.

• einportlandor
    6 years ago

The good thing about a bench v.s. a table is it will give guests somewhere to sit while removing and putting on shoes. This will be especially important for older visitors. An open bench with a couple of baskets underneath will give you the shoe storage you need and provide a convenient landing when entering the house.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    6 years ago

A bench is a good temporary solution, but the best one, in my opinion, would be a built-in bench. The sides of the bench would be walled in to the height of the bench. Then, the spindles would be elevated to just above the height of the bench (on both sides).

This would give you a more intentional feel to the seating area. Right now, it looks like an awkward inset.

Neither of these photos depict your exact situation, but gives you the idea.

Oceanfront Cottage · More Info

Riverview House · More Info

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

Great idea but vent would have to be converted to coming out front like the second image...or just a bench with legs so that the vent is open but not seen...

what is the measurement of that space....width & depth? Much more budget friendly.

• claire_larece
    6 years ago
    There is no vent because it's the foyer but I say it's in the middle of the landing cause as you can see you have steps going up and railing going down from the foyer
  • PRO
  • claire_larece
    6 years ago
    Gasp....there is a vent well what do you know lol
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    6 years ago
    2nd photo is a cold air return vent. Miss TDF has a hot air vent which could easily be diverted to the front of a built in.
  • rawegg
    6 years ago

I agree with a built-in bench with a vent,... and shoe storage!

2012 Showcase of Homes - Granite Street · More Info

• happyleg
    6 years ago

Open bench.

• claire_larece
    6 years ago
    But you know when some people first walk in their homes that is not the first thing they want to see unless the built in bench comes with a door to open to place their shoes in.
  • rawegg
    6 years ago

how about this? drawer style.

Florida Home · More Info

• gtcircus
    6 years ago
    I think a great portion of the problem is the stairs, have you thought about replacing your spindles or painting them? They have modern replacement spindles which would provide a nice update;
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

GDF Studio Rothwell Leather Storage Ottoman Bench · More Info
    Nice bench with storage inside so shoes are out of sight. Open area beneath solves any air flow issues. Just have to get the right size. How wide is the space?