Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sdhesikan

Gardenforum: Michelia Alba, Himalaya Champaca question

Su
6 years ago

I bought a Himalaya white Champaca (had a Monrovia nursery tag) from a nursery in Southern LA, California late last year. It is flowering well and I can smell the flowers 10ft at least. Even though the label has the word "champaca", I really think it is just alba. This is the tree I purchased.

http://www.monrovia.com/plant-catalog/plants/1847/white-fragrant-himalayan-champaca/

I recently bought a similar looking tree from our farmers-flea market. No label but the guy is a regular and sells many of these and he told me that it was Michelia Alba.

Both the flowers are the same color (off white) and both of them have same tree/leaf structure and flowers.

- The flowers from the tree that i bought from market has good smell but you have to put your nose in the flower to smell it. Even if you stand around the tree, you can't smell the flower. What gives? Am I supposed to put some fertilizer or balance the soil in some way? I hope so. I hope it is not a variety that does not smell much.

I planted it near the edge of my garden so people walking by can smell it and now I am so disappointed. I was thinking of buying one more from this market but will hold off.

Both trees are about 6ft tall .

Thank you very much for all your help.

regards,

Su

Comment (1)

• Su
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Sorry, I think I posted in the wrong place. I will report in garden forum. --Su