Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ambear33

Where to stop subway tile if my cabinets don't go to ceiling?

ambear33
6 years ago

We have 9ft ceilings and are currently going through a Kitchen Reno. Our new cabinets are about 6'' shy of the ceiling but have a large crown. We are about to install a large, black, wooden range hood with a chimney that goes all the way to ceiling. We are also planning on doing white 3x6 subway tile. My question is where on earth do we tile? Behind the hood or just below? Where do we stop the tile? I really don't like the look of tile going straight up to the ceiling only in the center. Also we will be painting the exposed walls a lighter revere pewter color. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments (3)

• Michelle Toich
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I'd have the subway tile go up to range hood, and paint above it. Note: This should really be in Design Dilemma. :)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    Tile up to bottom of hood. Paint everything around and above cabinets. This might be tricky if hood doesn't come out right to sides of cabinets. How are you handling exhaust pipe. Will hood continue up to ceiling? If not, you will probably need to frame it in and Sheetrock and paint. Check on that to finalize tile question.
  • ambear33
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you. Complete accident that it was posted in before and after. I posted to DD.