Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hellotara

Kitchen Help-- want to make it cute without the remodel expense

hellotara
6 years ago
we plan on remodeling this 1950s Kitchen in about five years, but until then I would love to make it cuter. I was thinking about painting the linoleum floor, but not sure what would go with the tile countertops, which are pretty hideous :-) please help! Thank you so much

Comments (37)

• acm
    6 years ago

Since the walls, tile, and counters all harmonize, I think I'd leave the floor alone and refocus on bringing some life into the space. Take the blue from your cat picture and use it in a cheerful new rug in front of the sink, a colorful teapot, some new hand-towels. Maybe repaint your table by the windows to match, and add a patterned valence. Let's see what I can mock up.

hellotara thanked acm
  • Judy Mishkin
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

the linoleum is cute, leave it alone.

how about tier curtains in your window? lace lowers wouldnt block any light. you might also paint your two drawer storage thing a cheerful color... cheerful and cute go hand in hand. better yet, replace both storage pieces with a single larger one that can do baskets in the lower shelf.

hellotara thanked Judy Mishkin
  • Diane
    6 years ago
    Really a very nice vintage kitchen that would benefit from you embracing it until you can remodel. The lights are not a good look for this space I would swap them out. Then as other poster mentioned cafe style curtains in a fun vintage fabric. A fiesta wear crock with utensils near the stove, small colorful art. By the way your floor is so cool it is actually back in style
    hellotara thanked Diane
  • Diane
    6 years ago
    Another idea, that I actually did to my 1928 California home with a very similar kitchen; we had the upper doors routed out and put in seeded glass. It was easy and was under 100.00. For us lucky find was a box with the original glass knobs in a box in the garage.
    hellotara thanked Diane
  • athomeeileen
    6 years ago

This kitchen is already cute! Clean up the clutter and add pretty valances and coordinating accessories. Can you move the coffee station to the counter that is left of the stove? Remove the bench. Center the little console on the window. Add matching baskets to fill the shelves and use for storage. If you want to change the light fixtures to a vintage style that would be nice, but they don't bother me the way they are.

• acm
    6 years ago

Possible light options (more modern might be something you can carry over; more vintage could play up the current cuteness):

Savoy House Lucerne 3-Light Satin Nickel Flush Mount · More Info

Vaxcel Toledo 13" Flush Mount, Satin Nickel · More Info

You could also replace your few knobs with something cute with more blue or a vintage feel...

Flat Ceramic Knob with Blue Pattern - Set of 4 · More Info

Richelieu 1007414011 1.3" Eclectic Cabinet Knob - Clear Glass/Chrome · More Info

hellotara thanked acm
  • mrykbee
    6 years ago

Honestly your kitchen already is cute.

To make it "photo cute," get rid of the clutter.

Move the Coffee Pot etc. to the little counter left of the stove.

Replace the island cart and bench with a cute little 2-person table and chair set with a little vase of flowers like you have in the dining room. Or if you don't want to do that, move the bench to elsewhere in the house, get two little stools and make the island cart a cute little seating area with the vase of flowers (move it a little right and clean up the shelves to baskets/plants/blue pots/something pretty). At the very least arrange what is on that cart in a balanced, pleasing manner (pretend as if you are arranging it for a contest in Cute Kitchen Magazine).

Either get a more permanent wall calendar (wood or something) or take that down and put a cute picture there (like you have to the left of the sink, maybe a little bigger) or a garlic braid or vintage wall clock or something kitchen-y. Clean off your refrigerator for a well-edited arrangement of photos/papers/magnets/Fruity Snacks.

A pretty blue carpet, tea towels, maybe a table cloth or chair cushions or valence, and you're done.

Adorable as is, even more adorable staged up.

hellotara thanked mrykbee
  • mrykbee
    6 years ago

Wow, as I was typing everyone posted and is basically on the same page here. That's so nice to see. I have one of those "granite monstrosity" kitchens, but think I would really love to have this one. Post us an "after".

• jhmarie
    6 years ago

I have a small kitchen - not as small as yours but the first step is make sure every cabinet and drawer only has what you really need on a monthly basis. Look to see if there is a closet or basement area to store rarely used appliances etc and get rid of things that you don't use. I have one shelf in a laundry room closet that I store a little extra tupperware, rarely used appliances and such. I also store extra paper towels and paper good backups in the laundry room. Your cabinets go to the ceiling, so less frequently used items can be on top shelves too.

I have a pie-safe which works as a pantry. Mine is in the kitchen, but it could be easily be around the corner in the dining room or living room and still be convenient, so consider storage like that also.

Use matching baskets on the cart or curtain the front of the cart with a pretty fabric to hide stuff.

I believe there are tutorials online for "faux" roman shades - they look like roman shades but act like a valance. Make them out of a pretty fabric to add color and soften the windows. I also like ninigret lace curtain idea. I am a little shabby chic and have lace curtains:)

You can curtain the sink base. This makes it pretty, but if you do so make sure it is still easily accessible as you need to access all you storage easily, and if you have pets or young children, watch what you store in an accessible area.

I like a rod system that is easy to move for easy access as below:

Vintage prints and mismatched vintage china are inexpensive and sweet decor ideas:

Consider a basket for shoes by the door:)

hellotara thanked jhmarie
  • mrykbee
    6 years ago

@jhmarie, great idea to curtain the cart and use plates on the wall!!

OP if you don't like blue, you could also do a red that respects the brown of your tile, as posted above. Very pretty.

hellotara thanked mrykbee
  • hellotara
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I actually love the blue with the kitchen!

What do you think of the multicolor knobs? Or should I stick with blue wheel?

https://www.amazon.com/Ceramic-Drawer-Handmade-Designer-Silver/dp/B00TS9MODA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1497374374&sr=8-2&keywords=ceramic%2Bknob%2Bblue&th=1

• spraguec
    6 years ago
    You are wise to plan ahead with your reno dollars. For now, dial into the charm of your friendly kitchen with retro hints. Declutter as much as possible will add to the enjoyment of your space. See if you can tuck a coffee/toaster bar around the corner into your dining area with the nice view. This will allow a small eat-in kitchen space for either wrap around bench with beneath storage or, a small bistro table. Maximize your cupboard space by reassessing what is truly needed on an everyday-handy basis and store the rest. Install some valances above your kitchen sink and eating area to add a finishing touch and some fun.
  • jansgirl
    6 years ago

Five years is a long time to go hating a space. I wouldn't fight the mid century vibe. Play up the tile on the counters-and your flooring is coming back into style! (You could use peel and stick and do the floor for under $300 if you DIY)

Take to heart all the suggestions to de-clutter. Nothing should be on top of your fridge or stuck on the sides. Try to find ways to free up counter space of things that aren't used daily. The knife block could go in a drawer, blender in a better storage piece or the pantry.

Wusthof 7-Slot In-Drawer Knife Storage Tray · More Info

I'd scour thrift stores, craigslist for a larger, enclosed buffet to replace your current piece under the window.

Classic Oak Credenza · More Info
    Need more? This triple pendant is under $50 and might work over the sink and buffet.
    3-Light Aluminum Pendant Light With Bell Shape, White · More Info

• rocketjcat
    6 years ago
    It looks like your drawers are hard to close? I have some luck with just rubbing some soap occasionally on the glides of old drawers like that.
  • hellotara
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Here's the progress so far....thoughts?

I ordered the blue rug and blue patterned knobs! I had a blue tea kettle, moved the coffee machine to around the corner and cleaned up the clutter (as much as I could...have 2 kids). I'm not sure if I'll get a small table or seats to go next to the island table...but thinking of painting the table the same royal blue...thoughts?? Any other advice so far??

Thank you Everyone!!
  • jhmarie
    6 years ago

Isn't it amazing what decluttering can do:) Very good start!

• hellotara
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Oh and I'll get a patterned valance and something in place of the calendar too!
  • everdebz
    6 years ago

A bit busy but white or yellow trim to cut that? Called school bus yellow/ all cotton:

Retro Scandinavian wood fabric tree leaf purple orange · More Info

• everdebz
    6 years ago

Looks purple/ says blue, for "acm's blue" - for ties that hold up roman shades [is that the name for?] -

Jute Webbing, Blue · More Info

• athomeeileen
    6 years ago
    Wow look at that view! Great improvement. Could be the perspective of the camera, but perhaps center the console under the light fixture instead of the window. Keep us posted of your progress.
  • jbtanyderi
    6 years ago
    "Stylish", "updated", "contemporary" would all be appropriate adjectives. "Cute" is not.
  • User
    6 years ago
    Window views in that house are fantastic - especially the dining room! Is it possible to move cart from the end to middle of kitchen and position it lengthwise as an island? Then a table and chairs could be placed at end of kitchen surrounded by windows plus see through kitchen to the DR views
  • everdebz
    6 years ago

I thought that painting the cart a color from the fabric above it could be nice. Or continue tile's yellow there...

• hellotara
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    what kind of table and chairs would you recommend for under the kitchen window??

I think the more realistic option would be to get bar stools for the sides of the island table, would you do colored or wood? If I paint the island table royal blue, should I do wood chairs?
  • hellotara
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    do you like any of these for the balance fabric above the sink?? Or is it too busy?
  • everdebz
    6 years ago

If big, there are variations sold:

35.5" Square Blue Metal Indoor-Outdoor Table · More Info

35.5'' Square Metal Indoor/Outdoor Table, Yellow · More Info

• hellotara
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    update: looking better but still needs something...?

I'm still planning on getting the valance over the sink and possibly painting the island table a bright blue. Do you think with those two touches it will complete the look? Thank you so much for your input and looking at the update!!

also I now need to get a new dining room light since we've updated the lights in the kitchen. What kind of light do you think would look good? also- dp you have any ideas on what other lights should I get throughout the house to match with the kitchen, all white but same design?
  • shwshw
    6 years ago

I really like the fabrics you picked for a valance and I love the blue table that everdebz suggested.

• shwshw
    6 years ago

Here's how I added some "cuteness" to my 1950's kitchen that has shelves with scallops. I made a scalloped shelf and a cafe curtain.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 years ago

New lighting would help the kitchen.

• User
    6 years ago
    This is a vintage kitchen and I think it is fantastic. In kitchen I would probably add a narrow butcher block top type island on wheels that has some wire shelving underneath for added prep & storage space that can be moved aside as necessary. Thanks for providing Houzzers an update, it is much appreciated!
  • shwshw
    6 years ago

BeverlyFLADeziner, love those lights! Makes the floor look good.

• hellotara
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    thanks for the inputs everyone.

the lighting is new actually...if you look at the original post I updated to more modern lighting...
  • jegglest
    6 years ago
    I have a similar kitchen and found a wonderful wood floor underneath my chocolate brown linoleum,... You might want to take a peek! What about routing out the two cabinet doors to the left of the window for inserts such as glass or something else? But I agree with the other comments,... Simplify what you have out on your counters and select a few key things to focus the eye,... Enough sun for herbs at the sink window?
  • hellotara
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I looked and there's no wood floor under the linoloum, how I wish there were!