Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jfrient

Need help making the front beautiful!

jfrient
10 years ago
Hi, We just bought this house and the front needs help! We can modify but don't want to start over. What should we do? How do we mix the Georgian style, black windows and brick. Thanks! Jeff

Comments (97)

• PRO
    Lowe's of Christiansburg, Va
    10 years ago
    Hi, I think the correct size shutter is not going to fit the corners, so no shutters.
    There is really a nice detail brickwork at the top and bottom of the windows, around the door, at the corners (offset blocks). There is also the nice crest detail. Paint this detail brick work and the crest details the same color, not white, maybe a soft grey or a medium beige. Paint the dormer shingles and the dormer window trim the same color. And yes, call in a professional landscape crew.
  • uberv
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I've skimmed the comments and I have one very big question for all the people who say to repaint your window frames - either the dark one white or the white ones dark. I see nothing to tell me that this trim is indeed able to be painted if these are vinyl clad you cannot paint them. If they have a factory applied finish why would you want to get into the maintenance hassle. Your cedar shakes are going to weather to a darker color. You can go for a product that accleraties the graying of the wood for some control or you could use a wood stain and go for a white clapboard look. This would take care of the contrast between the siding and the trim.

You have two large windowless areas. Your landscape could use some height in these spots from some small trees. Climbing vines are going to mask the beautiful herringbone when it should be celebrated. In the smaller area if this were the south I'd say a plant crepe or wax myrtle. In the north a dogwood would suite the smaller area. In the larger space a southern tree like a magnolia would work. For a northern climate maybe a spruce to give a lighter color. With trees don't fight the shade underneath. Plant your ivy or other shade tolerant ground cover here. If you decide to plant shrubbery under the windows make sure you are aware of the height of the full grown plants or plan to shear them regularly so you maintain your view.

Even landscape contractors are not perfect at selecting foundation plants. I just pulled out all of the "dwarf" yaupon holly in front of my windows since I was tired of keeping them trimmed. The plan from the landscaper called for them to be replaced with fewer of the same! I banished them from the plan adding salvia that will never become too high or wide.
  • uberv
    10 years ago
    These will fill in very quickly.
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    Hi there. Like everyone, I love this house, which is why I'm a little baffled that you are asking for advise on Houzz about how to make the most of it instead of working with a professional architect or designer in your area. You will find advice all over the map here, some good and some bad, but how do you know what to trust or which to listen to?

Develop a relationship with someone local, someone who can get to know you and who can help you make the most of the house, but also put some of your personality into it. The best design is personal. If you can afford that house, you can afford a professional to make the journey worth it.

Have fun and enjoy your home.

Renate Ruby Design in Seattle.
  • joannpb
    10 years ago
    The dormers look a bit raw, only because the natural shingles haven't weathered. If you're in a hurry, a transparent stain will speed them along.

"Georgean" houses decked out in contrasting shutters, etc. are actually American adaptation of the Georgian style. Your lovely house has the appearance of a true English manor, dating, perhaps a bit earlier then George III. If you mean to preserve that look, have a peek at some actual Manors and Dower houses. Here are some to start you off.
  • Kim Brandon
    10 years ago
    Some great suggestions...just wanted to say I love this house. I would love to see some interior pictures. Obviously budget will dictate the level of work you will be able to do to the front of the home. Many of these suggestions will be very costly. I work with small budgets, therefore, I would suggest painting the door a bright colour to bring the eye to the entrance and brighten up the entrance, some topilary trees on either side of the entrance, and add black shutters on the windows (both 1st and 2nd floor). Clean up the drive way weeds, add some greenery with cedar, evergreens, colourful trees/bushes (dependant on your climate). Add a beautiful large iron overhead light over the arch to the front entrance. Adding iron accents (gates, garden accents etc.)Hope this helps.
  • frankafey
    10 years ago
    what is up with that chain linked fence? You need some guttering too it looks like.
  • dempsey2012
    10 years ago
    RR Design is right on. You need a landscape architect and a lot of money since you do not even have a driveway! Look at pictures and pick a style you like and then start with the professional.
  • hparks74
    10 years ago
    Again congrats on the home it's fabulous! While your home is inspired from Georgian architecture I'm amazed at how many people think that your style must stay 100% consistent to a period home. Part of design, is having the ability to take many design influences and make them align in a cohesive existence. I agree the dormer windows could loose the white trim but the rest of the windows are gorgeous. Landscaping will take this home to the next level for sure but without seeing homes in the neighborhood and the rest of your exterior layout, it's hard to say about fountains and circle drives. A good landscape designer will provide it's full potential.
  • thehauteflash
    10 years ago
    Something no one here has mentioned yet (I don't think, kinda skimmed the comments), is painting the brick exterior. There are two homes in our neighborhood - very LARGE full brick homes - one is painted a country green and the one across the street from us is painted a gorgeous soft, butter yellow with black shutters and front door - it is absolutely one of the most beautiful homes I have ever seen (it also has a concrete horseshoe drive out front and several berms of mature trees and landscaping).

Our house is yours, just a lot of red brick everywhere and I told my husband if we were staying here even another 3 years I would paint it. I agree with everyone that with this kind of investment you would definitely benefit from having a local designer.

There are lots of ideas on Houzz by searching "painted brick exterior" - painting the brick will set you apart from all the other brick homes in the neighboring area, especially if they have the same brick color. Good Luck!!
  • gypsyrose17
    10 years ago
    I would get rid of the cyclone fence and replace with a low brick wall with wrought iron fence on top and a large wrought iron gate for the driveway entrance. Prior to suggestions on landscaping, would need to know the climate, you would want something that would look good all year...i.e. difference between using evergreens or box hedge, etc. for main plants.
  • PRO
    Monarch Stone International
    10 years ago
    A beautiful home, will be even more so with an authentic granite cobblestone driveway - it will tie in with the roof color and you don't necessarily need more brick in the landscape. Depending on budget, can do the entire drive, or a circular area near the front door with a fountain as others have suggested. Here are a few examples:
  • PRO
    Monarch Stone International
    10 years ago
    One more image, sorry for the dupe above:
  • angela257
    10 years ago
    Looks like you can afford to hire a landscape or design architect!
  • PRO
    Alan Brookman
    10 years ago
    The entry needs to stand out more from the rest of the house. I don't know how high off the finish grade the floor of the house is, or how much room you have before the facade of the house, but it would look great if there was a stone landing and some steps, with something flanking the entry: planters, topiary, sculpture, or an architectural element like plinths or benches. Stone trim around the entry would help, too, as would a pair of large lanterns to either side. A circular drive, as many have mentioned earlier, would work nicely, given the formality of the house.
  • PRO
    Snell Construction
    10 years ago
    Add 1/2 round copper gutters and downspouts with custom conductor heads, Landscaping, and exterior lighting. Gas light sconces on both sides or 1 above of the door will set the mood. Paint on the window trim and i think something darker on fascia boards. Fountains are nice but maybe something more unique.
  • houssaon
    10 years ago
    I would not add shutters to this home. I think it has a stately appearance without them. I'd hire a landscape architect to add a formal landscape of ornamental trees and shrubs.
    A Georgian Revival in Birmingham, Ala. · More Info
    A Georgian Revival in Birmingham, Ala. · More Info
    Elegant Georgian Manor House & Garden · More Info
    and
    Waterfront Georgian Revival · More Info
  • Rose Cone-Mari
    10 years ago
    Landscape, landscape, landscape!!!
    That's all, house is beautiful as is. Don't try to change it to make it look like all the others. Leave it unique and accessorize it with landscaping:)
  • PRO
    CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
    10 years ago
    Boxwoods, boxwoods and more boxwoods....
  • PRO
    Doreen Schweitzer Interiors, Ltd.
    10 years ago
    Unanimous! The white trim must go but I would not go as dark as black-too extreme. A neutral medium brown beige would be good depending on the brick tone. In some photos it looks brown and in others more red-but don't go red on the trim. The style is more Tudor than georgian which could explain the choice of the black window trim. I agree the cedar shingles on the dormers is an odd choice. Either replace them with siding, copper-which would be more Tudor or minimise them with a stain the same color as the trim. Landscaping is the biggest change after the white trim and dormers. It will help the house sit more naturally in it's surroundings-something narrow and tall on each side of the door to start. Then some low foundation plantings and possibly some flowering trees at the corners. By the way where is the lighting by the front door? Some wrought iron lights on either side of the door would add alot. Make sure they are big enough. Scale is important with such a large structure. This applies to the scale of the planting beds as well. Some climbing plants on trellises would also break up all the mass of brick. Just be careful not to choose species that are too invasive.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Yes the quoins will interfer with adding shutters.
  • Kat
    10 years ago
    Agreeing with everyone else. Landscaping is going to be the biggest thing to spruce up the area. You don't need to do much to the house itself. Painting the white trim darker and using matching or similar window treatments in all the front windows to add flair but keep things simple. Lovely house!
  • scotshot
    10 years ago
    I agree with joannpb - I like the much looser plantings pictured in her photos. The warmth & depth they add to those homes can't be beat. Any of the other suggestions - a fountain, lines of boxwoods, well the 80's are over aren't they? Add to that passe look higher maintainence costs to keep it trimmed.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    joanpb has it right about the style. Her pictures are a good point of reference. No shutters. And the window trim on this style house is often black and they are probably aluminum so I see no need to paint them. Just neutalise the white trim at the top and address the dormers. The juliette balcony idea has potential and would be appropriate on that style home. Adding wrought iron whether lighting,urns, fountatins etc suits the period. A fountain could also be stone. After the dormers and trim concentrate on the landscaping. Time for a good landscape architect. It will be worth the investment to have a plan.
  • PRO
    Triangle Brick Company
    10 years ago
    Wow! Congratulations on your fabulous brick home. It is stunning! I would like to recommend that you remove the shakes on the dormers. I feel that they are too casual for the Georgian Style of your home. I would suggest replacing the shakes with siding, paint it a few shades lighter than the window trim. I would also paint any white trim to match the existing windows. Landscaping will make a huge difference as well. Enjoy!
  • gypsyrose17
    10 years ago
    Just paint/stain the shakes on the dormers the same color as the roof.
  • PRO
    Night Light, Inc.
    10 years ago
    With all these terrific suggestions to further beautify your home, the right landscape lighting will help you enjoy all those lovely details at night. We invite you to peruse our project gallery entitled "A Twilight Getaway" for ideas on how to gracefully emphasize a formal fountain at the front entry.
  • PRO
    Tampa Landscape Design
    10 years ago
    This is definitely a project that requires a real landscape plan to do the house justice. Most designers are only $75/hr. and can work long distance if necessary. Offhand comments by people who don't know you or your lifestyle will only cause you to waste money. But if you are house-rich, cash poor, then a circular driveway with some sod is the cheapest alternative. A minimal approach while you're waiting will save you from having to remove/transplant too many plants later.
  • patty947
    10 years ago
    Wow! I just read through all of these comments and find it interesting that we're all so willing to "spend" the homeowner's money on all these fabulous ideas, but we haven't heard back from jfrient, the new owner. I know you must have a million things to do when first buying a gorgeous home like this, but would love to hear your comments on all these suggestions, jfrient.
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    10 years ago
    Sadly Patty - that happens a lot on here ! It's a shame as its almost as if the original poster isn't interested anymore ! I'm sure that's not the case - but a bit of feed back and acknowledgment / thanks on threads would be much appreciated by those offering their ideas !!
  • practicalgirl
    10 years ago
    IMO, I would invest in landscaping over shutters (I don't think the house needs them)!
  • renochickee
    10 years ago
    When you consider your landscaping please bear in mind proportion--a dinky little bed next to the house and running parallel with the exterior walls will look silly. You do need something with height against that expansive portion of the brick wall but I would choose a fastigiata type evergreen, like a cephalotaxus harringtonianum rather than espaliering a bush or vine so that you have winter interest. Your beds should project at least 1/3 the height of the wall out and then layer your foundation plantings (either deciduous or coniferous evergreens) so that you have an undulating flow from higher to lower plant material. Rather than a fountain in the round-about why not choose a grouping of stunning smaller trees and shrubs that play off each other in terms of shape and colour. If the front of the house looks to the setting sun an acer like a coral bark or an acer griseum will look spectacular back-lit summer or winter when you look out from the house. A fountain is OK but it's so predictable when you can paint a scene with foliage and interesting bark and tree forms and a few well-chosen rocks. Even a large and imposing house like yours can improve immensely in appearance if it looks well-grounded and comfortably nestled into a beautiful landscape.
  • PRO
    New England Shutter Mills
    10 years ago
    Where is your home? We have been building exterior shutters for a over a decade. I have endless photos and ideas if you would like some help with Shutters... Creates great curb appeal .. Many before and afters
  • User
    10 years ago
    I realize that good ideas abound on Houzz, however, if you can afford that size mansion, suggest you hire experts in exterior design and landscaping. This is not a DYI.
  • PRO
    Helga Simmons Interior Design LLC
    10 years ago
    I agree with Patti.
  • Margaret Kottelenberg
    10 years ago
    The home is beautiful and has a lot of potential but it is very underwhelming right now. It needs more architectural detail. I would add trim around the windows (not shutters) and make the entrance more grand. Right now, the door seems hidden. The driveway is cool ... but needs to be defined with brick or stonework. I agree that a fountain is a must in the middle of the circular drive. I have attached a picture for inspiration.
  • PRO
    Soothing Company
    10 years ago
    Adding a water fountain with a pool basin would really transform that area and add curb appeal...

http://www.soothingwalls.com/outdoor-fountains/outdoor-fountains-with-pools.html
  • ericarm
    10 years ago
    Wow! These are incredibly beautiful and classic styled homes. I have just started making the transformation to this style myself. In my quest to finding the perfect flooring, I found a really wonderful flooring company (www.twinoakscarpet.com) in Naperville. They are incredibly helpful and the least expensive of any other flooring company. They meet or beat all of their competitors which is a great perk! Just wanted to share my with the local Naperville folks! :)
  • PRO
    The Brothers that just do Gutters
    10 years ago
    You'll need to offset the brick with white trim, making it look like a traditional Georgian home. I would also add copper gutters which will only add to the historic look of the home! Good Luck :)
  • PRO
    Timberlane Shutters
    10 years ago
    Our shutters would hang flawlessly on your home! With many styles of shutters, along with hand-forged hardware, we are bound to have something that will fit your design preferences.
  • Alex P
    10 years ago
    I would add a terrace to the front that runs along the front of the main part of the house, secondly in the area directly in front of the front door I would add a small covered porch with a ceiling that matches the curve in the brick, this small addition would make the house distinctly Georgian with a formal outdoor space while also adding a distinct entry area that would also break up the front of the house (with it being so large) by doing this, distinct sections of the house would be formed making the house seem as if it were built in sections as was the practice during the time period you are trying to accomplish. Next in the blank space off to the viewers right where there is a large space between the two windows I would add an arbor that covers a secondary outdoor space with brick steps centered leading to the front yard the property would then achieve depth, in the blank wall space you could do either a large wall fountain or a wall vine. Now as for the windows, the windows are a little large for shutters, however a stone surround much like what "mugsy1703" posted. Those are the main changes I would make to make the house distinctly Georgian, Best of Luck to you!
  • Nathan Stannard
    10 years ago
    I would firstly remove the fencing around your house and replace with high hedges and then have a roundabout shingle drive with limestone edging and water fountain added to the centre. i would then re paint the exterior brick to brighten the front up and to make the brick stand out paint the cement you can buy exterior wall paint in all main DIY stores. Once that has been done i would paint all window frames white and the part under the roof should also be white and also the part at the bottom of the house then add dark coloured shutters to the windows. Then paint the brick that is on the front of the house around the front door the same colour as the cement to really make the main part of the front of your house stand out and look classy. i would add low bushes around the edge of the house with lights shining up through them onto the front of the house. On the driveway i would add neon blue spotlights around each side of the drive then add multicolour changing lights to shine through the water on the fountain. on the left side of your house you have a bare wall i would add a growing plant to decorate that part of the wall or remove the wall and have a large panel of glass. This would mix georgian style with contemporary class giving you the perfect mix for a beautiful home. Best of luck and show us how you get on.
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    10 years ago
    What a lovely home! I would landscape and add fountain. Lose the fence, or replace it with black iron and a power gate on the drive... and exterior LED lighting would be nice.
  • reggiesmall
    10 years ago
    Great home! So did you finish the front? May we see pictures please?
  • indy1234
    10 years ago
    Add a fountain in the middle of the circular driveway.
  • Romain Boyer
    10 years ago
    I think you have quite good ideas here :-)
  • PRO
    Gabrielle Santiago Design
    8 years ago

Wow- So much potential here!

• jfrient
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you all! We incorporated a lot of the great comments we heard and this is the result:
  • decoenthusiaste
    8 years ago

Great improvement!

• sheilaskb
    7 years ago

Since the brick and roof are such dark colors, I would suggest you choose a light silver grey found in the highlights of the roofing material and use this light silver grey on the shutters. Contrary to what other posters have said, I would suggest you paint all the window trim and all other trim white.