Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mjconti

Like traditional, advise how to make rooms look more current

mjconti
6 years ago

Hello to all you creative gals & guys. Thanks in Advance!! I like traditional and our home is traditional. Where do you advise I start to make my living, formal dining, family rooms (carpet & upholstered furniture is staying) & entry more current??? I am stuck. Should it begin with a blank slate, by removing all decorative accessories? lamps? artwork? window coverings? How do I purchase the right things in their place? What items are best to begin with? The photo is what I'd like my home to 'feel' like: cozy & traditional. Our family room has a similar fireplace with built in cabinets & shelves on each side. Our living room is more formal, with NO architectural interest. Just imagine SIMPLE, & BORING & that is what it looks like!

Comments (42)

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    6 years ago

Wall color and throw pillows will make a huge difference. Willing to paint?

mjconti thanked JudyG Designs
  • mrykbee
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I like this room but it's almost impossible to make suggestions on what to update without seeing your actual space or the shape and colors of what is staying. I guess step 1 would be to take photos and careful measurements. (I'm right there with you in this step!)

• mjconti
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes, absolutely willing to paint and it is on hold since I'm stuck on where to begin. Here's photo of main living room wall. I plan on replacing the art work with a more colorful art print & will probably use the current frame. Are the lamps old fashioned?

• leelee
    6 years ago

Start by replacing the coffee table and one end table. No matchy matchy.

Coffee table

End table

The square picture would be better on another wall and go and then go for a large rectangular painting with a floating frame for over the sofa.

Then lamps need to change too.

mjconti thanked leelee
  • apple_pie_order
    6 years ago

To get a feel for the look you are after, do these more colorful rooms also appeal to you?

Classically designed Living Room · More Info

41st Annual Marin Designers' Showcase · More Info

mjconti thanked apple_pie_order
  • leelee
    6 years ago

A floor lamp in one corner and/or a live plant

Don't be afraid to pull in some unexpected colors in your pillows or throws.

There's hardly anything in your model room that's modern in style but they weren't afraid to use color and pattern to go outside the box. Of course, they probably paid a high priced designer to come in and do it all.

mjconti thanked leelee
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    6 years ago

You need to get the sofa color up on the walls,so:

Going for this effect…brown sofa against off white walls, off white drapes; inside book shelves the same brown as the sofa.

B.M Navajo White

• hooked123
    6 years ago

I think you need taller end tables with weighty lamps to flank whatever artwork you choose. Your sofa and paint color are nice! I think you can also keep your coffee table. New end tables that don't match that are taller would help a lot.

mjconti thanked hooked123
  • hummingalong2
    6 years ago
    You asked if your brass lamps are old fashioned..yes they definitely are.
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    6 years ago

The lamps have to go…: > )

• PRO
    Soltech Solutions
    6 years ago

Agree with leelee! Plants are always a great choice. Theyre timeless and would suite your desired combination of traditional and cozy yet modern and clean. Dwarf fruit trees are always fun and an attractive decor piece. Something like a dwarf lemon or avocado tree would be fun!

mjconti thanked Soltech Solutions
  • latifolia
    6 years ago

Thinking that painting your coffee table cream color would update your space at minimal cost.

Wondering why you want to keep the carpet, because that is a dated look. Traditional spaces today are far more likely to have hardwood floors with area rugs.

mjconti thanked latifolia
  • Darzy
    6 years ago

I think painting the baseboards white and adding crown molding will "dress" it up and tone down "plain". For small changes and little $$ I'd start with adding color and texture with toss pillows. I'd paint the frame of your art black. Yes, the lamps look dated. For fun, you could spray paint the brass a "test" color like burnt orange or cobalt blue? Replace the shades with a drum shade would update as well. Notice in your inspiration photo there is burnt orange, greens, browns. You could do that in your space, or instead of the greens, you could do navy and shades of blue and orange. Add a tray on the coffee table for flowers, books, candle, to cozy it up. Oh, relocate one of the matching pillows or add a couple more to mix it up. Simple tray, books, box and flowers. Easy peasy.

My Colourful House! · More Info

Rizzy Home Decorative Pillow, Orange · More Info
    Madrid Square Throw Pillow, Red and Blue · More Info

T06218 - Orange, Blue, Polyester Filler · More Info

• Darzy
    6 years ago

I won't delete it but the more I think about it, I'm not liking my orange/blue ideas above. Never mind...:)

• mrykbee
    6 years ago

Marilynjoc, I'm not sure I understand what you're looking for based on these replies.

Do you want a more luxurious, layered look with some eclectic warm but classic pieces and bolder prints as per your sample photo?

Or do you want a trendy look built around your traditional sofa as per some of the suggested pieces?

Do you like apple pie's photos? (BTW I love your lamp bases. They look pretty solid from here. I'd keep at least one of them using a different shade, and place on a more interesting, different height table (maybe consider Asian shapes like in your photo).

The skirt and arms on the brown velvet sofa in your dream photo tell me it's new. But the room looks old. I love how they did that. How does that work, Pros? Because they used Brady Bunch colors instead of today's ubiquitous grays ?

mjconti thanked mrykbee
  • groveraxle
    6 years ago

You are allowed to have matching end tables.

mjconti thanked groveraxle
  • PRO
    Seldens Furniture
    6 years ago

I would suggest starting with a new sofa and have your second project be new artwork. For the lamps/end tables omit one end table and table lamp and add a floor lamp. That way the two sides of your sofa are not so matchey-matchey. Good luck!

Abbott Distressed Leather Sofa · More Info

Robert Abbey Real Simple Floor Lamp, Dark Bronze · More Info

mjconti thanked Seldens Furniture
  • mjconti
    Original Author
    6 years ago

What a wonderful group and thank you all for your responses! The sofa is a year old. The matching end tables & coffee table are 48 years old; I'm giving away my age. I never thought about painting the coffee table...hmmm. I love symmetry, what can I say. But I do like all of your suggestions that it's too matchy matchy. I want the room to have a casual elegance. I want a eclectic/trendy/traditional combination. I don't want my house to look like a very old lady lives here when someone that doesn't know us walks into our home for the first time. Like the Arsenic & Old Lace ladies in the movie. Ok back to your comments. Most of you said the lamps should either go, or one of them should go, or they at least need new shades. Would drum shades work on these lamps? I DO like the look of ceramic bases, or marble. I am a fan of marble. It is im my Italian genes. Apple Pie, yes I love the picture of the colorful room you attached. I wouldn't want chairs quite that busy, but like the room, overall. Judy G: I love navajo white & actually have a paint sample of that color. I'm not sure how to carry the color of the sofa up on the wall - should I do that in new artwork? Drapes with brownish trim? Another question: are shear curtains with pinch pleated drapes old fashioned?? I need to replace my window treatments too. The room has 2 windows, 48 w x 68 h on one wall. I really like carpet & am old-fashioned in that regard.

• apple_pie_order
    6 years ago

Do you have photos of the other walls in the room? With all the lights on?

• latifolia
    6 years ago

Here's an idea that may help: go to the library and spend some time poring over decorating magazines. Take notes or photos of things you like.

It's easy to stick with what you know - much harder to try something new. Sheers and pinch pleats are not so common as they once were. There are more grommet tops and shades or blinds. It really depends on your needs: privacy, sun filtering, insulation, etc.

Brown wood furniture is no longer seen in the quantities it once was, and furniture sets are out of style. Coastal rooms often feature painted wood. There's a lot more metal.

I understand completely where you're coming from. My SIL calls it dead grandmother furniture. I finally hired a decorator and that was my one instruction: no dead grandmother look.

mjconti thanked latifolia
  • tedbixby
    6 years ago

What else is going on in this room? I'm guessing that you may have chair or two? More photos of your living room would be very helpful. More photos may also help us decide if a new furniture layout is possible which could give your room a new refreshed look.

You've posted a photo of a room that you like. Study that photo and identify exactly what you like. Ask yourself do you like the woven window treatment? Is that something you could do to your windows if you like it? Do you like the mix of different patterns? Once again, ask could you do that to your room? Do you like certain colors in the room? Would those colors work in your room? Notice that the side table and coffee table are not traditional but are you drawn to them and find them more interesting than what you currently own. Use that photo as one of your guides.

mjconti thanked tedbixby
  • mjconti
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I think I am hung up on what I already have in the room. I can't visualize because of it.

The only items that need to stay are the sofa, and a tv stand and tv on the opposite wall of the sofa. That wall has nothing on it in these pics.

They are the only 3 new items in the room. Everything else is old. I have a 2-year old chair & matching ottoman in the room that I absolutely hate and paid way too much for, buyer's remorse, and plan to move it to a corner of the family room. I've posted pics of the chair before, with questions about it not suiting the room. I just need to move the darn thing out I hate the style and the pattern too. Here is a pic. of it and the mirror needs to go too. It used to be above a tall table that was there and I haven't moved/removed it because I don't want holes in the wall since we aren't ready to paint yet since I am so hung up on what to do. I want to get a new chair that I like LOTS better and recover/or slipcover an old wing back chair that I still love. What are your opinions on window coverings? I like privacy at night. The room faces east and a full length porch is on the front of the house. thanks to ALL of you! I am really enjoying your unbiased opinions - it helps a lot.

• mrykbee
    6 years ago

I feel like there is a bit of confusion on this thread because you are talking about two different rooms--

1. the simple plain Living Room that you have shown a picture of with the new sofa, and in the post above

2. the Family Room, which we haven't seen yet, but has built in bookcases and a fireplace similar to that of your sample dream room shown in the original first post.

I think Judy was telling you to paint the backs of your family room bookshelves the color of your living room couch to bring the color up the wall. I can understand the confusion.

How about we talk about the living room ONLY in this thread and you make a new thread for your family room? Or maybe do one at a time so it's not too overwhelming.

I also love symmetry. I even love some Grandma furniture--stuff from the day when things were well made. I'm a big fan of up cycling and giving old things new life.

Drum shades might look great on those lamps! Or art shades. Or squared shades. Or shades that are a similar traditional shape, but upgraded in materials (silk? another weavy texture?). This isn't meant to make you pick something yet-- just to look at some possibilities (scroll through): Nice Shades

(Edited to take out the request for more pictures--we posted at the same time!)

• mjconti
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Good Morning Mrykbee, I actually like my family room and won't post pics of it to add to the confusion. It reminds me of the first 'dream' pic I posted, without the orange colors. It is primarily beige, with some soft greens. Back to the living room dilemma and bringing it into 2017 to make it look like it was put together over time and not a 'buy the furniture store matched display'. The room needs new carpet, window coverings, lamps as most of you suggested, and something different with the tables. I don't know where to start. I can look at someone else's room and come up with ideas but when it comes to mine, it's like I draw a blank - maybe it is fear??? Fear of making huge mistakes?

• mrykbee
    6 years ago

@Marilynjoc, take your hated chair to the family room corner of banishment right now. It's sucking out your energy here. Or sell it.

I removed some hated drapes and an old carpet from my own room (much uglier and grannier--gold floral granny wallpaper!) and it really helped me think of some new possibilities when I couldn't before because I had been trying to work around what was already there. Even though you know it isn't staying, it's hard to free the imagination when your old look is still there and you have to walk around it every day. I still feel a psychological pull to look at gold stuff even though I know the gold granny paper is going. So strange what the mind holds on to.

Your curtains look "blah" to me. They aren't bad, but they aren't adding to the room either. I understand you need privacy-- but are the curtains hiding windows that are pretty?

mjconti thanked mrykbee
  • Susan Davis
    6 years ago

Here is a pic that I think resembles your living room style that you would possibly like?

The sofa is simple with fun pillows.

Art work resembles what you already have but in a more modern frame and size

I think you could keep you end tables but shoot for a new glass and brass cocktail table. Then add accessories in a modern monochromatic theme.....and the pair of chairs are really pretty. A watered pattern on the back of a pair of chairs. They show a love seat in the room, but I think just a nice lounge chair with small table next to it would be lovely; sofa, pair of chairs, lounge chair for reading.

The console and pictures on the left would help to fill up your blank wall and console could be sized to fit the wall.

The flooring is wood/laminate with large plain area rug that mimics your broadloom and looks very nice.

If you hit More Info under the pics it takes you to more pics of this house. I just thought this was the mood your were looking for and it would be doable in your living room as the finished product....

Classic Living · More Info

PS I love all the brass, gold metal and trims against the blue grey walls......adds warmth and sparkle to the room.

mjconti thanked Susan Davis
  • mjconti
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Mrykbee, you diagnosed the situation perfectly! The chair is stuck in my head giving me a mental block. Are you a counselor?? I need one! And, like you, still like the color gold. The dreaded chair actually looks good in the corner of the family room on the fireplace/bookshelf/cabinet wall. A corner is better placement for it because it's a club - looks like a big CUBE to me. No gentle curves, no shape, yuk. And no one ever sits in that location! (sorry I am mentioning this room so hope it doesn't confuse anyone). Yes the living room windows are attractive, kind of Williamsburg styling - was actually pondering top down/bottom up honeycomb blinds with simple side panels? And Susan, thank you. I really do love the rooms you posted! Calming & pretty and YES that IS the style I truly like for this room. I love the watercolors. I will always love Monet and have two 12x16" gold framed art prints in a bedroom. like your coffee table idea. It would brighten up the room. The room has more brown than I'd like it to have. I still love gold/brass. I have a console table nearly identical to the one you posted. It has an oval shaped top. It used to be below the mirror and blended nicely with the mirror's style, with a nice lamp on top, on the wall between the two windows where the new ugly chair now resides. Should I replace the piece of art above the sofa first? Then go from there?

• mrykbee
    6 years ago

I think start with finding an inspiration piece that really speaks to you. It could be a Monet painting, or a pillow, or a fabric or a rug..... find something you love. The pieces you're keeping are neutral enough to go in a lot of directions. It could also be the original picture you posted, the dream room with the tone you like, or Susan's suggestion, or whatever. Disect it and those elements that are grabbing you can be copied.

I would like to see some actual paintings in your room and not glass-reflective prints. Or prints are fine, but see how the art in Susan's examples (which may be prints too) are not bouncing mirror images back onto you? I can see your windows reflected in yours and it's hard to look at the picture. Think about that when picking out or framing more artwork. Light bounces around a room and does funny things.

mjconti thanked mrykbee
  • Susan Davis
    6 years ago

art work is Canadian called Clear Space and is a Giclee with knife finish on modern float mounting with gold frame. recheck more info and price is $950.00 Canadian so it is available and not crushingly expensive......oh, most important the size of the Giclee is 60 x 45 so if you do start with art, make it this big!

• huntcm
    6 years ago

So what do you use the living room for, entertaining, reading, games, tv, study? An updated living room should be multi-functional that is not just for receiving guests, but can be used by you and your family all year long. The room gets good light for starters. The room needs something tall to anchor it, be it a secretary, tv stand, bar. Extra storage is always useful even for linens, games, collections, books. End tables could consist of one round table, one chest, flanking the sofa and not necessarily matching stains, but woods that compliment each other and are close to the same height. A nice chest or game table flanked by two wooden arm fabric chairs would be inviting and provide good reading light with a nice lamp for evening. The wall opposite your sofa, if for tv, or what ever needs a picture so we can see how much space is available to determine what you want to do with it. Ready made curtains are available on houzz's website and linens are in ( do a shade lighter than whatever paint color you choose), as well as geometric patterns that can add a lot of color. Blues would be a great choice with a cream or beige background. If you keep your carpet, layer a fun over-dyed blue carpet under your coffee table and get some larger traditional blue and white lamps to match. If you keep the lamps try a geometric shape rather than a bell or round shape. Fun pillows will change the dynamic of the room and can be changed with the seasons or your mood.

I am a granny too, so get what you love...what are waiting for?

mjconti thanked huntcm
  • mjconti
    Original Author
    6 years ago

We sit in the living room when we have our morning coffee, because of the east facing windows and the room was always soothing! One of us uses it occasionally to watch tv in the evenings when we don't like to watch the same shows! I can take only so much football & basketball! And it's used when our married children and our grandchildren come over, when there is an overflow in the family room and kitchen. So overall, the room isn't used much for entertaining. I actually wish our house didn't have this living room and had a small den instead. A designer once told me putting an area rug over a carpet was a bad idea & didn't make sense - although I always liked the idea of adding some color under the coffee table. I agree with you huntcm, that the room needs something with height. I'm not sure how to achieve that and don't want to purchase more furniture, except 1 or 2 chairs. Susan, what is float mounting?

• Susan Davis
    6 years ago

I think a floating frame is a frame done around a canvas print that is mounted on an armature to make it ridgid and then set into the frame like box. Enlarge picture to study the Giclee print. Look at the top pic and it shows sideways and you can see the Giclee is a high in more relief where as a frame sits on top of the canvas......hence the work floating as it appears to float in the frame.

• Susan Davis
    6 years ago

I do not think you need a tall piece in the room....but you can get a tall effect with vertical items that give the room height....some great example in your pics above. Tall flowers, tall lamps, art work on the walls floor to ceiling curtains....all things that work together with a monochromatic color scheme to soothe; at least I think so.

• tedbixby
    6 years ago

Thanks for posting more pictures (and now I understand why there isn't a fireplace in this room) but could you post a photo of the TV wall (as I don't see that ) since you want to keep that it would be nice to get a feel for its style. Whats on the wall opposite the window besides the chair? Photo? Just want to make sure that your furniture layout is the best for the room before you start investing money into it.

If you have removed the chairs you don't want, then bring in that wingback that you want to use in there so we can see how that works in your room.

For privacy do you close the drapes or are the sheers giving you enough privacy?

• mjconti
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Would this table break up the matched look the room has now?

• leelee
    6 years ago

It's not matchy but it's nothing like what you're talking about in your model room.

It actually looks cold and unfriendly.

Maybe you like the room in your pic but it's just not you.

mjconti thanked leelee
  • mjconti
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The more formal, traditional rooms posted by Susan Davis is the look I'd like for my living room, but in warmer colors than all the blue. However, she has figured out the traditional look I'd like. Thank you Susan. I like this room I just posted! Although I don't have a fireplace or any architectural interest in the living room. I have an oval table similar to the one in this photo.

Our Work · More Info

The first picture I posted, is similar to my family room, which has a cozy feel and too casual looking for the living room I need to update. I'm sorry for the confusion. The living room's medium brown tone sofa is relatively new and the only item in the room I need to keep even though I'm not crazy about the style. There are too many brown tables: 2 matching end & coffee tables, a tv stand, and an oval antique table. The room has no personality! Should the artwork over the sofa be replaced? It is more rectangular than square, and is primarily blue, looked great with my old sofa but doesn't work with the new sofa. I'm partial to scenic impressionism. Does anyone suggest ordering a new giclee print and do it myself?

• tedbixby
    6 years ago

I'm going back to an earlier comment you made that you wish this room was more of a den. Why not go that route? You could still incorporate your sofa and it could still be used for family over flow. We can help you make it more into a comfortable Morning/Den room. The trend for homes is to have flex space rather than a specific name for a room. Maybe your head is telling you formal living room but your heart is telling your otherwise and that is why you are having a hard time figuring it out?

Going back to the "formal"- if you want the art to be the main focus of the room then shop for that 1st. But I believe you want the "room" to be the focus instead? Is so you should be figuring out what furniture you need and shop for that before you start selecting art and accessories. You mentioned earlier that the TV stand and sofa are the pieces that you want to keep. If that is the plan could you please post a photo of the TV stand and a photo of the wall across the windows.

mjconti thanked tedbixby
  • mjconti
    Original Author
    6 years ago

There is a 6 ft. opening/archway separating the living room from a 'formal' dining room with a Queen Ann style, cherry table and 6 chairs (2 have arms), and a matching credenza/hutch with glass doors on the top. Does it dictate that the living room needs to have a more formal look? What would give the dining room a more casual feel? It is kind of cramped and is used infrequently. My family loves the kitchen! Thanks in advance for anyone's input and advice.

• mjconti
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Any thoughts on moving the dining room credenza/hutch into the living room? My dining room is cramped, not enough space between the hutch and the table & chairs. The hutch is too heavy to move just to see how it looks. The dining room size, window, table & hutch look like this photo. The room in this photo isn't very interesting, just like my dining room! My chairs don't have upholstered backs, & the chair backs are high. I plan to recover the seats with a more colorful fabric. They are currently very light beige.

Chesapeake Drive Dining Room · More Info

• tedbixby
    6 years ago

Do you really need the hutch? If the living room is larger have you considered swapping the spaces? Unless you post more photos of both areas it is just to difficult to be more helpful..