0

Fuchsia Gartenmeister Bonstedt – Deadhead, Prune, or Leave Alone?

Mick T

Do I need to deadhead or prune these leggy ends? It hasn’t produced any new flowers recently and most of the flowers have fallen off. All that remains are these leggy ends.

It has just started forming some cherry like seed pods or… blooms. I don’t know. It’s a new plant and I am trying to figure out what’s going on with it.

Thanks in advance!

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Your choice. The berries are edible.

• Mick T

Which is the best choice if I want more flowers? I would like to cut them off if it will bring more flowers. And I don’t think those straggly ends with just a couple flowers (or no flowers) add much aesthetically. Will those straggly ends make more flowers? If not, I will cut them off. Thanks for the info on the berries.

• charles kraft (SoCal 9B)

The plant wants to make fruit. If you want the fruit (I wouldn't ) then leave them on. If you want flowers (I would) cut them off.

Along the scraggly ends there are probably leaf buds, which will fill out in time, giving you long branches. I would cut them off, back to some good looking leaf joints. The plant will probably branch at that cut, giving you two or three branches, all of which will give flowers. Overall the plant will look better if it is trimmed back. It will flower when it is ready, not much to do if you don't want it to flower. Sometimes people try to shape their plants, when flowers come there is not much else to do but let them bloom.

Mick T thanked charles kraft (SoCal 9B)
  • Mick T

Everything that you said is what I suspected, but I couldn’t find a clear answer anywhere. Thanks charles kraft (SoCal 9B)!

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

I've never deadheaded Fuchsias and never noticed any reduction in blooming.

Mick T thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK