Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_765499

Windows and doors galore! Where to put the TV, and more...

Isabel Hamilton
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hopefully my rhyming title will attract some helpful comments :)

I have been racking my brain trying to find a solution to this problem for some time now. I have a room on the top floor of my home that I would like to make into a family room / hang out room. There are a lot of windows and doors to work around.

please disregard the current position of the TV in front of the fireplace. It was originally in front of the windows but it blocked a lot of light so I just moved it - definitely not a permanent solution.

Is my only option to mount it over the fireplace? I know there's a very split crowd over that...

i guess another option would be to put it on one of the two available walls, but that would mean I would lose seating.

I'm buying all new furniture (don't make any comments trying to work around those ugly things), am obviously going to declutter - we foster kittens so some of the supplies from the adjacent room that we use have migrated over to this one - and my general contractor will paint the walls (any suggestions for BM neutral paint colors that would look good?)

The furniture pieces I was thinking of are:

• a sleeper sofa because we have 3 guest bedrooms that aren't enough for when family that lives far away comes to visit
  • another matching sofa
  • a pair of accent chairs

The sofas would be positioned against the walls and the chairs would probably be on the side with the windows.

I'm going to need the furnishings to be durable as the kittens can come in to this room under supervision.

Also, what's a good source for affordable, comfortable furniture? My budget for the two sofas is around $3500, but I would prefer to keep the price <1500 each.

This is my inspiration pic if that helps with any suggestions:

Here are some photos of the space:

And a crude, unprofessional floor plan:

Comments (137)