Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yowp

Low ceilings. Do I have to give up on crown mouldings?

YOWP Tree
6 years ago

We have low ceilings. Do I have to give up my dream for crown mouldings?

Husband says it's 7 ft 11 1/2 inches high.

Master bedroom:

Living room/Dining room:

Kitchen/Dining room:

Comments (15)

• chloebud
    6 years ago

I'm not a pro but can offer this. Our ceilings are 8' and...IMO...the crown molding really makes a difference by pulling the eye up. I wouldn't get anything too wide. With the exception of the living room, I think ours are maybe 4" max. The crown is larger in the living room but it looks great. Not sure if it matters but that room is also large. All the crown molding was here when we bought the house. Love it.

YOWP Tree thanked chloebud
  • Susan Davis
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Our entire house is 8 foot ceilings and it is all done in crown moulding and I love it...no your ceilings are not too short....I would to the standard 3-4 inch depth though.

Historic Home Expanded · More Info

YOWP Tree thanked Susan Davis
  • YOWP Tree
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Susan! I also need a style that's not too ornate but looks good.

• PRO
    Main Line Kitchen Design
    6 years ago

Your ceiling height is fine for crown moldings. Presently less ornate crowns like cove crowns are more popular than the ornate moldings of a decade ago.

YOWP Tree thanked Main Line Kitchen Design
  • jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)
    6 years ago

I have crown moldings on my 8 foot ceilings. It's four inch cove and it look very nice. I actually this it makes the ceilings look higher.

YOWP Tree thanked jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)
  • Judy Mishkin
    6 years ago

whatever you choose, make sure it doesnt make the highest opening's casing look crowded against the crown. you dont want just a sliver of wall color showing between a door or window casing and the crown. looking at the far windows in the second photo.. i think it would look unnecessarily crammed in.

and actually, i disagree with the others, i think the large rooms with a crown will make the ceiling look lower. you may decide you'd rather have crown than visual height, and thats a decision you can make.

YOWP Tree thanked Judy Mishkin
  • chloebud
    6 years ago

yowp, I really think your own eye will show you how nicely it works. Our ceilings and crown molding (and baseboards) are all white with the walls a different color. The white also plays a part in pulling the eye upward.

• leelee
    6 years ago

Great idea from yowp! Finishes the edges but doesn't shorten the look of the walls.

Your windows are very close to the ceiling. I wouldn't want to close that space down any more.

Your home doesn't look incomplete without molding. It's open and airy and to me, doesn't lack anything.

YOWP Tree thanked leelee
  • chloebud
    6 years ago

You know, I kind of like that idea. For one thing, as leelee noted, your windows are close to the ceiling. I also think the "ceiling molding" has a more contemporary look which works with what your photos show.

I agree with leelee...your home does have an open/airy look.

• YOWP Tree
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks for all the input! Even my husband thinks it's a good compromise.

• smileythecat
    6 years ago

Lets see I was going to say your ceiling is not a low ceiling its 1/2 inch short of 8 ft, I think crown looks great on a 8ft ceiling, you have wide base, why not wide crown?,I like the ceiling trim shown above btw

YOWP Tree thanked smileythecat
  • Susan Davis
    4 years ago

Newer on trend is to do all kinds of moldings, then paint everything the same color. I like the contrast, by it is nice to think of everything before you decide. On line Traditional Home magazine and Veranda magazine have great on trend pictures of home! Check them out!

• YOWP Tree
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you! Will do!

• Jennifer Barnett
    2 months ago

I am faced with a similar dilemma. I am intrigued with the idea of placing the molding on the ceiling. Can you share how it came out?