Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swrackley

Master bedroom help

Stephanie R
6 years ago
Needing some inspiration! This is my current master. Bought the new quilt & lamp shades today but not sure they work well with the wall color. Also feel I should have something over the bed but I'm not sure if it should be a saying, a picture, etc.
would love some advice for the room.

Comments (47)

• Stephanie R
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Also, are the lamps too matchy with the headboard? Same burlap fabric.
  • PRO
    Poovi Art
    6 years ago

Here's some suggestion for your wall you might like......to know more about my Art work and collections please visit my shop -

https://www.houzz.com/pro/poochoudhary/__public

****CUSTOM SIZE AVAILABLE ****

• cpaul1
    6 years ago

To me, those lamps don't work. I wouldn't try to match the shade to the headboard, and I don't see where that aqua color makes any sense, so I would get something else. I would hang one round art piece over the bed. Your bed doesn't look very good because you need to LAYER ... you need more items to build it up. You need more blanket(s), more decorative pillows (remove those 3 white pillows and the phrase pillow). Your curtain rods needs to be raised up closer to the ceiling.

• Stephanie R
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    @cpaul1 thank you for your advice! I was trying to bring in some subtle color with the lamps. I like a pretty neutral pallet, and tried a metallic sort of base yesterday that seemed to stick out too much for me. And not to sound ignorant, but exactly HOW can I layer my bedding, if I want this quit to be the main color/texture?
    Do I put another blanket underneath the quilt? I'm a new, young 20's homeowner trying to figure out style!
  • Tina
    6 years ago
    I like those lamps. You can pick up the blue from the lamps in a picture for above the bed and pillows or a blue throw that you can layer at the end of the bed.
  • jansgirl
    6 years ago

Oh my gosh! Your master reminded me of this one from the "Before and After" board on Houzz.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/after-and-before-bedroom-on-a-budget-dsvw-vd~4706734

As far as layering your bed--I gave up on that stuff. Unless visitors dash in to look at your master bedroom, all that layering means a harder bed to make. Maybe a faux fur throw casually tossed near the foot of the bed. like some of the above pictures.

You've done a great job-gorgeous spread, lamps are pretty and the correct size. Since your curtains are white, white shades could be better. Your Mr & Mrs pillow is perfect in this personal space as you sound like newlyweds.

I'd choose art rather than a saying for above the bed.

• Tina
    6 years ago
    Oh yes I agree with switching out the lamp shades to white.
  • Stephanie R
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you all so much! I may have to take the lamps back until I can find something that works a little bit better in the space. The lamp & shade came as a set so I would hate to have to buy separate shades after spending so much money on them.

I will try to find some throw pillows to add more texture & layers (it's just daunting to find some in all the same shade of the light blue) I agree with the commenter about giving up on making so many layers on the bed(quilt, comforter, etc( since it's so time consuming to make up, lol. Pillows may be a good compromise for me.

I appreciate all of the styling information- as you can see I am absolutely clueless.

Do you think painting the walls a different color would help?

I will post a picture of the previous lamps I bought that I exchanged for these because I felt they looked too metallic..
  • jansgirl
    6 years ago

Now there is an idea. Have three of your wedding pix enlarged and hang them like this first photo.

Surrey house · More Info

Fort Morgan Beach Home · More Info

Morgan Creek Residence · More Info

• katinparadise
    6 years ago

I agree that the previous lamps are too bright for the mood you're trying to create in the room. I see the wedding photos you had over your bed. Those would be perfect as mentioned above if you blow them up to 11X14 and mat them in white with black 16x20 frames. 3 of them hung over your bed just a frame's width apart and about 5 inches over the top of your headboard would look wonderful. I like the color of the room, I just think the quilt was too cool for the other warm colors. A color like this champagne silk quilt from Macy's would work a bit better I think.

These lamps are from Lamps Plus and would bring in a bit of color.
    https://www.macys.com/shop/product/hotel-collection-finest-luster-silk-quilt-collection-only-at-macys?ID=2221614&CategoryID=22748&LinkType=&selectedSize=#fn=sp%3D3%26spc%3D151%26slotId%3D200

They have several different shaped bases that each come in over 100 colors.

• PRO
    Pamela Qarbaghi
    6 years ago

I don't see a problem with the bedspread or the wall. There is overall a lack of color in the room and with gray walls, you really need to incorporate color to warm the scene. I would choose artwork first, to create a focal point, then work out from there, weaving colors from the art elsewhere in your accessories (pillows, books, lamps, etc). A few suggestions here for the spot above the bed, and you can find more original art here: https://www.houzz.com/projects/1295077/art-original-abstract-paintings

Art - Original Abstract Paintings - AVAILABLE · More Info

Art - Original Abstract Paintings · More Info

Art - Original Abstract Paintings "60 X 48" - AVAILABLE · More Info

BTW, I would go with white shades for the lamps as it will make the room seem a little wider, and will afford you much more light in the room generally.
    Art - Original Abstract Paintings - each 36 X 36 · More Info

• jansgirl
    6 years ago

Stephanie--see? did you return your blue lamps? Now they are being suggested again. You are NOT clueless!

• Tina
    6 years ago
    If you like the blue lamps, you can always paint the shade to white with a fabric paint . I just spray painted two lamp shades that were a beige colour to white. They do not turn out pure white but definitely made a big change. I probably need one more cam to whiten even more but I am okay with how it turned out. The smell was terrible but I left them in the garage for a couple dope days so the strong smell would dissipate.

Could even look for fabric paint that you paint on with a brush.
  • Stephanie R
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you all! @jansgirl I kept the lamps so far; going to look Thursday for either a blue-ish option that already has a white shade, or try to find a white shade. :-)

Will also be printing some wedding pictures to hang above the bed, and on a hunt for either pillows, or another bedspread. I will post some pictures!

I know I need some different curtains as well, and to hang them higher, but I've got to find those as well ;)
  • katinparadise
    6 years ago

Stephanie, excited to see the wedding pictures you're going to place above your bed. It's the perfect spot. Did you like either of the bedspreads I posted? I think the champagne silk from Macy's would look great in your room. Take one step at a time, first bedspread, then pillows, then curtains. Check Target and Home Goods for shades-they're usually pretty reasonable priced. Perhaps you can use the burlap shades in another spot in your home.

• Stephanie R
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Ok y'all- so as I'm browsing through photos online I'm trying to find a new bedspread I come across this from Macy's. Super good deal, and out of my comfort zone, but I kind of like it. Not sure if it would work with the "feel" I am trying to go for though. I like shabby chic/country, but I also don't mind trying new styles.
    What do y'all think about this bedding in the room?

@Katin - I think the comforter you posted is just a little too fancy for my taste. It is very pretty, but I'm looking for something just a little different.
  • katinparadise
    6 years ago

That comforter definitely makes a style statement but it feels a bit tribal to me. If you like it, Stephanie, then you should get it. It's your room and you have to love it. If it doesn't work, you can always return it. I found this on Overstock. It brings in some of your accent color.

• jansgirl
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

This is leaning towards a bohemian/ethnic vibe. I like it and I usually prefer solid spreads. White! Or linen! This one has black, cream, gray & a taupe. Would a mustard color be good to accent with?

• Stephanie R
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Ok- here is a comforter I picked up today, and new lamps. I think I prefer these lamps over the teal colored ones.. still on the fence about the bedding as to if it's too feminine, lol.
  • katinparadise
    6 years ago

I like the lamps. They add a little sparkle to the space and stand out well against the night stands and wall. I don't think the bedding is sophisticated enough for your space and I'm not quite sure the pink works.

• Stephanie R
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Alright y'all- I painted the room. It's getting dark here so the lighting isn't that great. I went with a lighter gray, and want to use gray and dark blue for the color scheme. I took down the old sheers and will be trying to find new curtains. Would you suggest high, pannel curtains? Or stick with sheers? Also, how do I put curtains on the window to the right of the bed? It's right beside a door so I won't be able to extend the rod and hang a panel on the right side. Should I just go for a white bamboo shade? Or bamboo shade/wooden blinds for that window? I didn't know if it's odd to have different window treatments in one room.
  • katinparadise
    6 years ago

Very nice. Why not do pretty white roman shades on all the windows. Or you can do panels on the windows on the left and a roman shade to the right of the bed.

• jansgirl
    6 years ago

Windows are different within a room, so of course you can do different treatments.

I really like the lighter gray. Lamps are perfect, I think.

What direction on your bedding? Printed or plain?

• Susan Davis
    6 years ago

The room has evolved nicely.....I layer my bed with white sheets and white cotton blanket. Then I have the quilt/spread hang over the end and fold what is left into thirds at the foot of the bed so that if I want to pull the quilt up in the middle of the night the edge is closest to the head of the bed and i can just grab and pull....it does give a mini layer look.

And a roman shade on the window to the right is fine with panels on the other windows....matching. Like this room. Note the folded quilt in thirds on foot of bed.

Falmouth Residence · More Info

• Stephanie R
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    @jansgirl - I think I will stick to solid white and try to find colored pillows that coordinate. I really like the lighter grey as well. Heading out tomorrow to look for window treatments. I like the picture that was posted below but I'm not sure if I want to do a patterned curtain or plain white.

I'm kind of enjoying the simplicity of the gray and white, but would like to add in some navy so I may look for a curtain that has bits of navy along with the white.
  • jansgirl
    6 years ago

Hurray!! I love a white bed!! I don't care much for the printed bed covers. Too limiting.

What do you think of these,Stephanie? I'm sure some of these are plain white panels that were purchased and the trim was added. I would think this could be done w/ iron on fusible webbing between the curtain & trim. (if you don't sew)

Lauren Bruning (laurenbruning2) on Pinterest · More Info

Here are some added blinds...

Check out this one w/ mixed panels and blinds. Perfect idea for your window situation.
    (39) Pinterest · More Info
    did you have any luck shopping?

• Stephanie R
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    @jansgirl I love that picture with the roman shades & curtains. . . I didn't have any luck yesterday. Tried Marshall's, home goods, JC Penny, Belk, kohls. I'm having a hard time finding the white/blue I want. . Also having a hard time finding them in 96inches. . . thinking I may have to get 86in and not hang as high.
  • katinparadise
    6 years ago

Look at Half Price Drapes and Overstock. Lots of options there!

• User
    6 years ago

Remember your throw pillows do not need MATCH. Just a couple that coordinate well together will so. Once you get the window treatment, everyone will lead you to the pillows! Looks great!

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    6 years ago

Cotton Canvas Scribble Lattice Curtains (Set of 2) - Blue Sage | west elm · More Info

Cotton Canvas Scribble Lattice Curtains (Set of 2) - Midnight Blue | west elm · More Info

• PRO
    6 years ago

Poppy Printed Cotton Grommet Panel | Curtains & Drapes | Brylanehome · More Info
    BrylaneHome® Studio Filmore Canvas Grommet Panel | Curtains & Drapes | Brylaneho · More Info

• PRO
    6 years ago

Newport Wave Light-Filtering Grommet Top Window Curtain Panel - Bed Bath & Beyon · More Info

Botanical Grommet Top Window Curtain Panel - Bed Bath & Beyond · More Info

Regency Heights Parker Stripe Grommet Top Window Curtain Panel - Bed Bath & Beyo · More Info

Regency Heights Parker Stripe Grommet Top Window Curtain Panel - Bed Bath & Beyo · More Info

• PRO
    6 years ago

Lush Décor Edward Trellis 84-Inch Grommet Top Room Darkening Window Curtain Pane · More Info

• PRO
    6 years ago

Beverly Window Curtain Panel - Bed Bath & Beyond · More Info

• jansgirl
    6 years ago

Hang in there, Stephanie!!! Look at birch lane. I could have chosen 10 pairs or more-all 96". Here's several:

Rainville Solid Sheer Rod pocket Curtain Panel & Reviews | Birch Lane · More Info

Taren Damask Semi-Sheer Thermal Rod pocket Single Curtain Panel & Reviews | Birc · More Info

Buren Medallion Curtain Panel & Reviews | Birch Lane · More Info

If you see anything similar to the below in 96"-snatch it up. My favs for your room-esp w/ a printed blind

Ribbon Applique Striped Semi-Sheer Rod pocket Curtain Panel & Reviews | Birch La · More Info

• Stephanie R
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Alright y'all- here's an update. What do you all think? Found these blue curtains at kohls and although I don't think they are quite long enough, I think they will work ;-)
    Opinions? -- hard to photograph the room with the light coming in but here's the best I could get
  • jansgirl
    6 years ago

Not impressed yet? Maybe you'd prefer to stay gray & white at windows?

(3) Pinterest · More Info

19 best images about sides on Pinterest · More Info

(3) Pinterest · More Info

• Stephanie R
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I bought some white as well- may try hanging those tomorrow and getting your opinion!
  • jansgirl
    6 years ago

Did you find longer ones? Hang them high and wide!

• katinparadise
    6 years ago

I believe the blue and white are a bit too short and too casual. I'll be curious to see how the white ones look.

• Stephanie R
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Here are the white ... not sold on these either
  • katinparadise
    6 years ago

How about a solid navy? I like it because I think it's strong enough to hold up to your wall color.

• Stephanie R
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    @katin - I do like the all navy! Maybe that will be my next hunt..
  • jansgirl
    6 years ago

Oh! The solid navy is nice!

Found some stationary roman shades on Etsy that would coordinate. Some would tie in with added color to pick from for accessories.

View FAUX ROMAN SHADES by supplierofdreams on Etsy · More Info

Would you need a movable blind for your orphan window?
    Faux Roman Shade Lined Mock Roman Valance Lyon Premier Navy · More Info

Stationary Faux Roman shade valance with lining ready to · More Info

• katinparadise
    6 years ago

Glad you like them. As I said, they stand out against your wall color and bring over some of the navy from your bed.