Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_38907633

Low Voltage Lighting source??

User
6 years ago

Unfortunately the electrical source over my kitchen island is LV. The space calls for a large pendant type fixture at least 24" in diameter. The kitchen is a large octagon with a pointed ceiling (witches hat) and lots of windows. The island is also a 62" octagon.

All LV lights I'm seeing are small pendant types. Looking for a large minimal modern fixture, wide but somewhat narrow profile so as to not interupt the views. (We have no overhead cabinets.)

I'm not keen on bunching a group of smaller pendants together, either.

i may be stuck.... :(

Comments (13)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 years ago

Why is the source LV? Do you have a remote transformer mounted there?

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Dear Beverly and Flo - thank you for your comments. I know LV isn't the sexiest of topics! Beverly, the transformer is located under the kitchen in a lower garage. It was installed at the time the house was built 24 years ago. I will attempt to attach a photo or two which will help you see the difficulty of the situation! We are meeting with the electrician to see how hard it would be to get line voltage up there.

Flo, thank you for the photo of the pendant. If I am successful at uploading a photo of the kitchen, you will see what I'm working with style-wise. I am not very computer literate (it's a love- hate relationship!) so this may take awhile. J

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

You can (barely) see four halogen fixtures at the top of the kingpin in the witches hat. If we can get line voltage up there, by the magic of carpenters and electricians, we would drill a hole through the bottom of the kingpin and hang a simple pendant from that. The top of the witches hat to the floor is about 25'. (The island is going to be enlarged because it is out of scale currently.).

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Here is a better photo of the space. We are painting all walls and wood trim white, staining the floors a warm dark espresso color, staing the cabinets black and putting in plain white counters on the perimeter and island. I've had a warm color palette (paint color and wood) for years and wanted to change it to a neutral color. Huge difference.

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Beverly...sorry! The logs are staying as is. I was unclear. I'm painting the window trim, base, and windows white. So, the floors will be somewhat dark, white "middle area" (walls/windows) and the ceiling will remain with the warmth of the log structure. My goal is to eliminate the yellow of the maple cabinets and the floor. You okay?!

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ps... we are high on a hill with lots of south and west light so although the photos look dark, it's actually quite bright!

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Definitely not!! The logs are staying as they are in the photo, see reply above.

No, I know exactly what you're saying, painting the logs was never in the equation.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 years ago

Me, I'm having a heart attack. Ok, I feel better that the logs are not getting painted, but I'm not sure that white around the windows is the way to go. If you intent is to focus on the view then the frames should recede and they should be painted perhaps a bronze or dark grey.

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes, I don't blame you...I'd be having a heart attack, too. I thought about going dark on the windows as well, but in the end decided to go white. In these photos you can still see the terracotta color between the log and the ceiling...that goes white. Also the island hasn't been installed, yet. The black granite goes away. It is hard to photograph during the day...