Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bonitapplebum

Walnut counter stools?

bonitapplebum
6 years ago

I have a new white and walnut kitchen with a walnut island and some looking for walnut counter stools. I can't seem to find much that doesn't look like mid century modern plycraft or molded walnut veneer.

Here's my kitchen so far:

Here are two that I found that are walnut:

1. 900/each so these are rather pricey. A mix of veneer and solid

2. Solid walnut, about 500/each

I'm primarily looking at walnut so that it matches or blends in with the island. What other counter stools, walnut or otherwise do you think works well in my kitchen?

Comments (30)

• Barbara Almandarz
    6 years ago

First, I assume you want backs on the stools? I wouldn't match the wood, rather I'd go with stainless or something that stands out. Not sure if you want traditional or modern? I'd go a bit modern like these so you can see past the stools to show off your lovely kitchen. Or add some color there via the stool. Look at grandinroad.com. Good luck!

• lwfromny
    6 years ago
    I agree that I wouldn't go with something with so much walnut - they will "disappear" visually. I'd consider something that is perhaps the same as the lightest tone in the walnut, or something in a soft black finish (metal or wood), or a distressed matte leather. Some examples below (all from Arhaus):
  • kjg3
    6 years ago

Design Lab Dreux Gunmetal High Back Steel Counter Stools, Set of 4 · More Info

Fine Mod Wood Leg Counter Chair, White · More Info

Quinn Counter Stool, Natural Metal · More Info

Lynx Counter Height Contemporary Stool With Metal Base, White · More Info

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Don't match the island and a world of stools exist! that would look fabulous. The island is the star here, not the stools. If you do want the walnut match, plywood and veneer do not make it a crummy stool : )

Sleek Leather Stool, Gray, Counter Stool · More Info

Chi Counter Stool, 25.75" , Brushed Stainless Steel Frame, White · More Info

Colter Counter Chair, White · More Info

Corona Wood Counter Stool, Plywood Walnut Finish, White, Seat: Leatherette Pad · More Info

• PRO
    Annie Santulli Designs
    6 years ago

Why do they have to be walnut. Find a beautiful upholstered stool with a walnut finish on the legs.

• hemina
    6 years ago
    I love your kitchen! What's the backsplash? And what's the size of your island?
  • hemina
    6 years ago
    Oh my-and have you used your sink yet? How is it?? That's the one I wanted! What size did you go with. Love this kitchen!
  • acm
    6 years ago

Another vote against walnut -- your island is a star, but you don't want the stools to just disappear into it. Lots of good suggestions above...

White and walnut kitchen · More Info

Kitchen Island with Carrara Mable Countertop · More Info

Bakes & Kropp - High Style Sagaponack Kitchen · More Info

Moraga Residence · More Info

Kitchen · More Info

Rye Transitional home · More Info

• PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    6 years ago

I like something like this, but I can't find any information on it.

Transitional Interiors Greenwich, CT · More Info

bonitapplebum thanked Brickwood Builders, Inc.
  • bonitapplebum
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you everyone. Barbara Almandarz lwfromny kjg3 JAN MOYER Annie Santulli Designs acm Brickwood Builders, Inc.

So this kitchen (see picture below) is the main reason I started looking for walnut bar stools. I'm using the same brass dome pendants over my island and to me it seemed that in this kitchen's the walnut island was even more emphasized with the walnut barstools. Visually it looks like one piece and your eye goes up to the bold pendants. It looks rather nice, I thought, so I started looking for walnut as well:

I tried black barstools, and they looked nice but I thought I should still try walnut. It kind of seemed to be that the black should have highlighted the dark grain of the walnut but instead I started noticing the barstools before the island. Here's the black barstools that I tried a few weeks ago:

What do you think?

• bonitapplebum
    Original Author
    6 years ago

hemina Thank you! The backsplash is from Cle tile. I attached another up close picture. I'm a big fan.
    The island is 8 feet long by 43" wide. And I LOVE this sink. It is the bigger one of the 2 options.

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago

Have a furniture maker design and make them for you.

• Flynn
    6 years ago
    Akaur - your kitchen is gorgeous! Love the walnut island!
  • bonitapplebum
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks tgb1! I'm curious - do you find that clothes catch and snag on the back of the chairs? That was my first thought when I saw Flynn's pictures.

The chairs look very cool. But I think I might need something with 4 individual legs so that I don't come home to our roomba stuck on one of the chair leg rods on a daily basis.

(Love the cherry? and black combo in your kitchen!)

• tgb1
    6 years ago
    Thanks akaur!
    No snagging whatsoever- they're pretty well made and surprisingly comfy. Never thought about the roomba....:))
  • gtcircus
    6 years ago
    LOL, went through this and gave up. Here is what I did - I went to Pier One, got the white stools and then painted them on arrival to match my cabinets. You'll never find walnut stools to match - I tried.
  • gtcircus
    6 years ago
    And its the kitchen - who wants to spend a fortune on stools that will get gunked up. When you grow tired of Pier One - you can get others without crying about your bank account. If I find some fabulous stools later, these go to the thrift store that support the violence prevention center.
  • PRO
    User
    6 years ago

Really creative quality products stand the test of time

• bonitapplebum
    Original Author
    6 years ago

bellburgmaggie Your kitchen turned out beautiful! I remember you had shared your sea pearl countertop with me.

Did you by any chance try the the two stools that I linked? I think our walnut is lighter (it is unstained, just raw with a clear coat) than yours, but still curious. The first is from Room B via YLighting and the second is from Rejuvenation.

• jbtanyderi
    6 years ago
    Uppers and lowers are fighting. Pick one colour for all.
  • jbtanyderi
    6 years ago
    I presume the big space is for an exhaust hood.
  • PRO
    Nancy the Stager & Redesigner
    6 years ago

I would not match the stools to the island.

i would use either of these depending on your choice.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    Pick from many out there but I prefer ones where the seat swivels. Much easier to get in and out.
    bonitapplebum thanked Flo Mangan
  • gtcircus
    6 years ago
    I did not try your stool links. I was at the end of my project, sick of all the expense and fed up with counter height stools that cost $2000 each or more. If I come across stools I love more, I'll get them but at least I have something to sit on! And the fabric on the stools actually matches the sea pearl exactly - an added perk. I can see that actual walnut matching stools would be nice with the island - please do share with us your final selection. Your kitchen turn out beautiful!!
  • gtcircus
    6 years ago
    I noticed you have brass accent, lovely! Here are some ideas, the only drawback, they don't swivel. Beauty or function!
  • gtcircus
    6 years ago
    More options, I superimposed a couple into your kitchen for you. Don't know if you want a pop of color.
  • bonitapplebum
    Original Author
    6 years ago

jbtanyderi Yes it is going in tomorrow. It is a chimney hood and there will be 6" of space on both sides between the hood and cabinet.

• PRO
    Julia & Elizabeth
    6 years ago

I too would not match the walnut. The stools are a nice place to add an accent color and a fabric. Enjoy!

• PRO
    Chi Renovation & Design
    6 years ago

A lot of times counter stools are meant to add color and be an added accent to your kitchen. If you want some stools with a back I'm sure you can find those, as there are many choices out there, but you do not have to match the walnut.

Kitchen Remodel · More Info

Downtown Condo Makeover · More Info

Modern-Rustic Loft Kitchen Remodel · More Info