Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindseytoth

Bathroom cabinets: to paint or not to paint?

Lindsey Toth
6 years ago
We recently had a color consultant come into our home, and one of her recommendations was to paint the cabinets in our main and master bathrooms because, as she noted the wood doesn't really match the granite that was installed by the previous owners, and painting the walls Ballet White and the cabinets Bleeker Beige would tie things together better.

What do you think of painting wood cabinets like this? My mother, a realtor, is really against painting nice wood cabinetry so she hates the idea haha and I wasn't sure what style rules or redecoration rules or resell rules would dictate. The colors recommended are below (Benjamin Moore). Thanks for the advice!

Comments (23)

• Susan
    6 years ago
    I like your cabinets, but not the blue walls. What about putting the darker of the two suggested colors on the walls? Pretty bathroom, btw.
  • Lindsey Toth
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks! Agreed, the blue is bad haha. The first bathroom is the main home bath, and the blue one is our master. The previous owners used the room as their little girl's room. The cabinets and counters are the same in both and the color consultant recommended just doing both the same as such - light color on the walls and dark color on the cabinets. Could be interesting to explore the darker color on the walls I suppose!
  • User
    6 years ago

I'm not a fan of wood but those are pretty nice. I wouldn't touch them.

• cpaul1
    6 years ago

I would paint. They look like nice cabinets, but that color stained wood doesn't match anything and is making the counter top look worse than it probably is.

• katinparadise
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I would not paint your cabinets. They're the only thing bringing in any warmth and organic feel into the rooms. If you paint them, you're going to have all beige bathrooms and I think that would be a mistake. I would leave the guest bath alone and try the Bleeker Beige on the master. Maybe consider upgrading the knobs. I used these by Jeffrey Alexander and I love them. They're heavy and well made and really dress up the vanity.

• coopermcboo
    6 years ago

I wouldn't paint, either. They look like really nice cabinets... and from your pictures, I'm not really seeing the disconnect between the cabinet and granite tops. I agree with Susan about using the darker color on the walls -- or you could even go a little darker... maybe BM Cosmopolitan. What's that they always say? Oh... yep. "Listen to your mother." :)

• PRO
    Selectblinds
    6 years ago

If you kept the walls the way they are and painted the cabinets darker it would look great! Making one of the two a little darker would complement the other nicely.

• PRO
    Carolina Kitchen & Bath
    6 years ago

Don't paint, those are beautiful cabinets in good condition. They look like cherry wood from all they way down here in NC.

• groveraxle
    6 years ago

Paint the walls, not the cabinets. They look to me like good match to the granite. Plus they really are beautiful the way they are.

• leelee
    6 years ago

If you just want to change some things the frames on the mirrors would look warmer if they were bronze. I'm not sure if you could paint them but probably. Much warmer look.

• leelee
    6 years ago

Then if you still need a change then swap out the over-the-mirror lighting for sconces

• Lindsey Toth
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    @leelee I was thinking the same thing! Swapping the hardware and mirrors for an oil rubbed bronze and moving the lights from overhead to sconces! Love that!
  • leelee
    6 years ago

It would make a real difference.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 years ago

I would not paint the cabinets. The wood looks pretty good, and it may be different in person, but granite is from nature with all different shades, that appear to coordinate with the wood. Love those mirrors. I'll bet they were expensive. Fits the room style.

• Trem Wills
    6 years ago
    I really like the original colour. (Not the blue) Seems to yell everything in nicely. Different mirrors would be nice.
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

I would change that Emperador Marble countertop before I painted the cabinets. And i certainly wouldn't paint them beige. if you have to paint, maybe a creamy white to match the travertine color tile.

such nice high ceilings. Can't quite put my finger on what's missing w/this space. Maybe it's just that countertop and no decorative backsplash that bugs me.

• Lindsey Toth
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    @Beth, yes! There's something that bugs me and I can't quite figure out what it is! Something that doesn't feel quite right.
  • PRO
    Shine Rugs
    6 years ago

Paint it white!!!!!

John

shine rugs

• Tonia Tussey
    6 years ago
    Would not paint the cabinets. They look great the way they are.
  • User
    6 years ago

I actually think that there is only one thing that needs to be changed and that is the floor.

The rest of it looks great!

• lhutch13
    6 years ago
    Do not paint that beautiful cabinet. Go with the darker color walls that Grover picked.
  • PRO
    Interior Dimensions and Design, LLC
    6 years ago

Stenciling can also be a nightmare in the future (as mentioned by other posts prior to this one) as it WILL telescope/transfer the image if you try to paint over it in the future and will do a great deal of damage to the drywall if you try to scrape it off instead. Best way to prevent that is to install a paint-able liner, then paint and stencil over that so one can remove it all easily in the future. For those of you who are against wallpaper, you may not be, or have ever been, in the business of selling or installing. Proper prep (of anything!) is key as is purchasing a quality made paper and not the cheapest one. In addition to this the construction and backings of the new wallpapers...they are not the same as what was done a generation ago. Do a little research. (We maintain a library of over 175 of the "best on the market" wallcovering books at our design studio.) So, please don't give up a beautiful new look for someone's mistaken poor installation and/or experience in the removal. Just like in your clothes...patterns can be so much more appealing and pretty than just plain solids.