Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gmells

Island Quartz support w/o a pedestal. Got any ideas?

Gary Ells
6 years ago

Our 48" x 96" piece of quartz will be setting on 66" of cabinets. The designer thought a single pedestal under the 24" overhang would be enough support - we'll have the last 6" hanging off the opposite end. A) I'm not a big fan of pedestals (toe killer; knee knocker, etc.), and B) I'd prefer to use a series of brackets and have open feet and leg room at the end of the island for stools. Do I risk snapping the quartz off, if someone sets something heavy on it (leans hard on it)? Any suggestions for

another way I could support the quartz without using any support legs or pedestals?

Comments (8)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I'd add storage underneath. Stools do not require this much overhang, 12 inches is quite standard, and 15 is generous. The visually too large expanse hanging wide open at the end, tends to look extremely unfinished! If you plan stools on three sides of this overhang, a trimmed to match rectangular "box" beneath allowing 12/15 inches on all three sides, will look far better, and allow no knee knocking. If you don't believe it, sit comfortably at a dining table and mark the spot at the end of your knee. But know that you sit differently, more casually at a counter too. Thus a box, basically 24" x 18"......and in other words more storage: ) and another drawer base.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

You could have a 1 1/2" square tube frame fabricated, mechanically fasten it to the cabinets, mechanically fasten them to the floor, and have your countertop fabricator make a drop edge that covers the frame.

You could make the frame from brushed stainless steel and expose it.

• stephanie tally
    6 years ago
    love your cabinets! mind if I ask make, door style, color??
  • acm
    6 years ago

I don't really understand the size of the overhang on either side -- why do you want 6" of extra on the working side? and what do you accomplish with 24" on the sitting side? Jan's suggestions are good ones, or other structural advice above.

• Gary Ells
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Presidio - we thought about a steel plate, but I like your idea of aluminum better. How thick of an aluminum plate would you suggest?

Jan - love the idea! And yes, we are always looking to gain storage! Do I risk snapping the quartz with a 15" overhang?

Joseph - not ruling this out...I still like the thought of a 'floating' surface - and the idea that I may be able to 'squeeze' four stools in and around the 24" overhang.

Stephanie - Thanks! My wife gets all the credit! The cabinets are Aspect Cabinets. Go check 'em out at: www.aspectcabinetry.com

ACM - the 6" provides a comfortable toe kick area on that end of the island; the 24" allows us to

squeeze four (4) stools around the end. Our family events are large at times!

Thanks ALL!

• PRO
    Presidio Tile & Stone
    6 years ago

Hi Gary. We use 1/2" honeycomb aluminum. We install it in place of the plywood. Eliminates the need for legs, posts or corbels.

• PRO
    Ashley Pitts
    6 years ago

@Presidio Tile & Stone - what is the maximum area (rectangle) of quartz that could overhang using the aluminum honeycomb substrate? Thanks in advance!