Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tanpexoctics

Adansonia perrieri

tanpexoctics Willis
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Grew this nice succulent from seed last year .I wish I could just set it out and let it grow from now on,but wouldnt last my winters.So it is 43 inches tall now,

has started to branch at top now.any thoughts on how it should be treated for pot life which it will have to stay in.

Comments (27)

• Alain (Pacifica, CA;10a)
    6 years ago

You can give them good water while they are growing, this helps them getting fat, but keep them dry during the dormant period (winter) most of all when in pots and in cold climate. Good drainage is always good but they do like compost or fertilizer. I have mine in a 50/50 C&S and potting soil mixtures. The C&S that I use is actually a 50/50 mix of commercial C&S with perlite or pumice. After a while you need to consider making bonsai out of them as they grow big and don't like temp below 50! Depends if you have a set up that can accommodate large plants indoors. You can keep the water low to slow their growth but then their shape will not be baobab-like :(

• tanpexoctics Willis
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Alain good advice there thanks a bunch you have any pics I like see a plant with some age on it in a pot. Eric

6 years ago

Eric, I only have younglings like yours currently. My first attempt at transitioning to bonsai was a failure, was my first try so I am learning :) I made sure I have several plants to increase the chance one will survive for the second round. I have 1 rubrostipa, 2 grandidieri and 3 digitata coming out of dormancy now. The good thing is that you have a good 5 to 7 years ahead of you before you start scratching your head and decide what to do with them! I did find plenty of pics some time ago when I was doing searches on baobab growing from seeds so you might want to try that route.

• tanpexoctics Willis
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Alain I also have digitata it is just starting to leaf back out ,no where near as big as the perrieri.this is my first attempt at growing these .

6 years ago

Very nice, I love these gentle monsters!

• tanpexoctics Willis
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Going have to move perrieri down to floor ,has grown 12 inches since July 5 with 32 oz of water about every other day ,now if it just put on some weight

6 years ago

Wow, that's impressive in 1 month! Placed several outside this summer but they don't like how dry it is out there :( Growing slowly at 2-3 feet now! Weight seems to come by between the 3 and 5 years depending on species! This one still under 2 years old, so still some time to wait...

• tanpexoctics Willis
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Alain I was amazed to on the growth in a month time .wish i could put in the ground like yours here new pics today it does seem to be swelling

6 years ago

Actually, mine are still in their pots, I just burry them to help keep them moist. I take them back in the greenhouse at night early in the season so they don't go dormant too quickly!

At the pace yours is growing you might run out of height clearance very quickly :( If I remember correctly from my reading some time ago, yours could be the right size for a trim and starting to shape it for bonsai training. Definitely looks like started swelling too! Exciting :)

• tanpexoctics Willis
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Alain do you know where you read that about trim and training at .Yeah it is starting to swell .I should have another month or so growing here ,at the pace its growing ,might hit 7 ft lol.I did read last night that these do real well in pots and are tuff plant .however I don't know much about bonsai .will you be able to leave yours out one day for good

6 years ago

Willis, yes they are easy but get very big so it's quite a challenge when you need to overwinter them. I am close to "paradise" weather wise but still on the wrong side of the fence, i.e. we still have here occasional night frost that prevent from keeping tender plants outdoors year round :( Although they grow well in pots I cannot accommodate beyond 8 feet in my small greenhouse, that's why I am looking at the bonsai alternative at some point for baobab, although not an expert. There are many sites out there, here is one I liked that can give you a head start, I mostly like the last picture. Would love to have that type of end product in a pot some days. One can always dream.

http://lennardsbonsaibeginnings.blogspot.com/2010/04/adansonia-digitata-baobab.html

On another note I am following the Fat plants 2 thread diligently, you have quiet a collection of fat plants!

• tanpexoctics Willis
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank Alain that a good website I see what probally will happen to mine in the future ,as I don't have a lot of head room in my green room either ,and yes I got some caudex plants never enough lol ,got some more coming in this week .its a addiction haha

• tanpexoctics Willis
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Well was just getting to bushy in the green house.had to make the cut,but not before he reached 65inch I must have fed him well. Now just 6-1/2 inches tall and 1 inch across the cut lot more manageable but not near as showy lol

6 years ago

More manageable indeed, good size stem though, hope it works for you. Mine are still too thin and short so one more winter in the greenhouse!

• tanpexoctics Willis
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Alain we are going see how it goes.I stopped water few days ago ,cut today and set it in the room where rest plants will go, soon as weather gets cold .hopefully yours be ready soon also

• tanpexoctics Willis
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Well it has survived the over winter and starting to grow some now.didn't get time to root prune it .maybe this winter will get to.long ole road ahead lol got a Lot of limbs to work with one-day its looking like

• aloebot
    5 years ago

Tan, you are being rewarded for that Very brave cut you made. I'm happy this is working out!

• tanpexoctics Willis
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I'm hoping so aloe, got to do the roots sometime though .really didn't know what else to with it. but try to bonsai it .it was over 5 ft last summer

• tanpexoctics Willis
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Some new pics of the progress on this guy . it's been setting about 3 months dry now since the topping, Has bunch of buds , so going bring in to the house see if it start back growing

Havnt cut root yet think wait another year it's not to big yet,But will one day to try and get the lean out of it

• tanpexoctics Willis
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I have just been going by website you told me about I not know much either on them haha

Yours looking good maybe mine do some leafing out like yours now that I. Moved mine in the house

• tanpexoctics Willis
    Original Author
    5 years ago

1-1-2019 pic getting alot new growth on last September's cut point .had so many buds I didn't want to risk them dieing off so brought in house to let grow

• tanpexoctics Willis
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Growing like a weed got 3 stems from this cut this time maybe it start swelling up one day and look like a baobab tree the old cut is starting to get growed over . prunned the tallest limb to slow it down a bit in hopes the others will become good strong limbs

• HU-314069769
    4 years ago

Hello, I am a horticultuirst at the Fruit & Spice Park, Homestead, FL, southwest of Miami. Our 40 acre educational park features ethnobotanical plants from around the world. I am trying to add Adansonia perriei, and A. grandidieri to our collection of plants from the African region. Can any of you suggest a source of seeds, or plants of these two species for our park? I have checked out and signed up on websites for these seeds, but everyone is out of stock. Thanks for any leads you can send me!

Louise

• HU-314069769
    4 years ago

THANK YOU!!!!!! This nursery had both of them!!! What a great day!

• tanpexoctics Willis
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Your welcome glad help you out

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting