0

2017 Bolseno -- Italian hybrid tomato

14tomatoes_md_7a
last modified: July 8, 2017

For those loving very tangy tomatoes --- this is the one!

It is the healthiest plant so far, and the first to ripen from all the hybrids.

• 14tomatoes_md_7a

We love crisp, juicy and tangy tomatoes. The supplier's description is spot on: "Delicious flat-round slicer. Bred in Italy with old-world character. 7-12 oz. fruits with light ribbing and intense red color. Flavor is enhanced by strong acidity...."

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/vegetables/tomatoes/beefsteak-tomatoes/bolseno-f1-tomato-seed-2771.html

My wife and I sliced the first ripe one today (7-8-2017) and it surpassed our expectations --- a keeper if it continues to be so healthy, productive and tasty!

Tony

• gorbelly

Nice!

14tomatoes_md_7a thanked gorbelly
  • whgille

Tony, it sounds like a good tomato to add to my seed rotation, I like different flavors for different recipes.

Silvia

• suncitylinda

I like it too!

14tomatoes_md_7a thanked suncitylinda
  • 14tomatoes_md_7a

Linda, are you also growing Bolseno?

Tony

• suncitylinda

Not growing Bolseno right now but I have grown it before and may start some for Fall. I have overwintered it here successfully before.

• 14tomatoes_md_7a

Bolseno keeps impressing --- from one plant we keep picking a ripe one or two each day (this early in the season). They've gotten bigger and tastier! Here are today's two. Current temperature is at 98 --- and it will get hotter in the afternoon!

Tony

this one is at 10 oz

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

this one is 12 oz

• Chippah

Growing Bolseno this year. Just out of curiosity is that how they are grown with scab on the top and bottom, or do you have a calcium deficiency?

• gorbelly

The bottom mark is the blossom end scar and the top scars are cracking. Both are the result of environmental factors. The blossom end scar is normally round and smaller, but it looks like that fruit might have been from a fused bloom, which causes a much longer blossom end scar because the bloom is two flowers fused together. Fused blooms happen in early flowers and as a result of cooler temps early in the season. Cracking on the shoulders can happen from strong sun/heat and/or from heavy/sudden rain after the fruit reaches mature size and begins ripening. Neither of those is caused by calcium issues. I think you're thinking blossom end rot, which is something very different.

Some varieties are genetically more prone to one or both phenomena, but it's still a combo of genes + environment. Even those that aren't genetically predisposed can have the occasional fused bloom or cracking from weather conditions.

Many commercial tomatoes you see in the supermarket are bred to resist these conditions and/or are grown in greenhouses or other controlled environments and/or are picked early at the mature green stage and ripened off the plant.

Most tomatoes grown at home will show cracking or large blossom end scars at least occasionally. Some of the most delicious heirloom varieties are particularly prone to these kinds of aesthetic flaws.

• 14tomatoes_md_7a

Chippah -- lots of rain followed by extremely high temps of 98 F caused lots of cracking on all our tomatoes. Once temps went back to normal -- mid 80's -- the cracking was minimal.

Tony

• Chippah

Thanks! Im excited for my bolsenos this year. Last year was my first year having a veg garden and the tomatoes I grew 'Primo Reds' were a little too soft and mild tasting for me. When I think back about my favourite tomatoes, I always harken back to ones my mennonite grandma used to grow. A classic tangy and fruity almost ketchupy flavour. Reading reviews, people are impressed by Bolsenos tanginess. Hopefully these will come close.

• 14tomatoes_md_7a

One plant gave us 60+ lbs of delicious tomatoes. Bolseno was best of all in productivity, disease resistance and taste! Last one standing and still fruiting! -- till first frost killed it 11-11-2017 !!!

This year we are growing six!

Tony

• Chippah

@14tomatoes_md_7a determinate or indeterminate?

• 14tomatoes_md_7a

indeterminate -- mine got 10' tall

Bolseno

• Chippah

when is safe to pick? do the finish orange or red?

• Chippah

and green shoulders?

• 14tomatoes_md_7a

i pick mine like this

• Chippah

very nice. is that this years>?

• 14tomatoes_md_7a

Yes, all from this year. Here are some (all Bolseno) of the many we picked so far from 5 plants.

Tony

Bolseno plants loaded

• Chippah

dang nice plants. i have mine staked. about 6 feet tall only one red so far.

• ss1114

Great pictures - After seeing this thread, am sold on trying Bolseno next year.

Judging from the pictures, it looks like you prune the side branches quite aggressively? Someone inexperienced like me is always hesitant to prune, I only prune the lower branches - the 1st 12-15 inches or so - and only after the plant has grown quite tall. Would be interested in knowing your take on pruning.

• 14tomatoes_md_7a

I prune up to 16", but early Septoria onslaught forced me to prune more.

Tony

• 14tomatoes_md_7a

Chippah -- how did Bolseno do for you?

Tony

• whgille

Hi Tony

Next season I am going to try your Bolseno in my garden, got the seeds already.

I am starting my tomato harvest, today's tomatoes, cucumbers and radishes going on a kale salad for lunch.

Need help with a Houzz order? Call us at 1-800-368-4268 (Mon-Sun)