Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitchenhelp16

IKEA vs Custom?

lisa
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi there, ive been planning a new kitchen for some time now and finally ready to purchase. Now I love the Ikea bodbyn kitchen, but I also looked into a custom kitchen maker who happens to be a business acquaintance of mine and thus is giving me reduced prices on all parts of the kitchen. He quoted me around 12-13k for all custom cabinets - 45" upper cabinets with some glass inserts that go to the ceiling with moulding. Basically I love the design he gave, however, I dont love the finish of the doors. I can chose any style of door I like, but to accommodate my budget can only offer a "newer" version of foil doors (which he says wont peel from heat), and he only offers them in 2 colours, one is a white, and the other is a light grey (I dont love either to be honest). He also didnt include as many drawers as ikea, and is charging around $80 per additional drawer, so another 1000-1300 for drawers. This does not include backsplash and counters. Ikea on the other hand, the cabinets are costing me only $7000. I can put them up myself, or have someone do the entire installation for me for $2500. These include all drawers and all the features I want in a kitchen. So installed it would still cost less plus give me the colour I want. Also Ikea is giving me 20% back in gift cards, which I can put towards counters. Now, I guess the question is whether sacrificing IKEA painted cabinets for thermofoil is worth going with the custom cabinets where I wont have to lift a finger? I believe he uses the same type of material for his boxes as Ikea. What other options do I have?

Comments (19)

• User
    6 years ago

Your guy ain't custom. He is a parts orderer who puts together parts and pieces from different component manufacturers. Get a quote from a real custom cabinet maker. One who can do any door style in any color and in any wood. In his own woodworking shop with a clean room for finishing.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    6 years ago

Custom for 12K? Seriously? Tell me you really don’t believe that is possible.

Add a hundred thousand to that number….

Whether you go with Ikea (and I am a fan for a kitchen at a reasonable price) or “custom”, stay away from this guy, for sure.

White Shaker IKEA Kitchen · More Info

lisa thanked JudyG Designs
  • lisa
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thats exactly what I was wondering after he gave me the quote, originally he quoted me 21k for painted cabinets, then went down to 13k for the foil. Is he using incredibly cheap materials? Ive been in his workshop and saw employees working on building cabinets, so I had the impression that he really is building them himself, and he showed me images of his completed work which looked nice to me. Deep down I feel like the price is too good to be true, and I might end up with a crappy kitchen that only looks decent on the outside.

• A&R
    6 years ago
    If you already have that feeling, I'd trust it.
  • optimal viewz
    6 years ago

If you want a specific color, I see no reason why you would want to pay double the price even with the too good to be true 40% discount.

• tedbixby
    6 years ago

Custom cabinets doesn't necessarily mean you are getting a better product. I talked to a builder this week regarding his custom cabinets and he doesn't put a top coat on the finish to protect it. I couldn't believe it. And this builders homes start at $600K and go up from there which is expensive in our market. The house I purchased last yr has custom cabinets throughout and the finish on them is junk. How does his warranty compare to IKEA. And will he be around to take care of anything down the road if you have problems. I don't think IKEA is going anywhere any time soon...

lisa thanked tedbixby
  • lisa
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@karemore55 Thank you for the lovely reply!! I did have one question, do your upper cabinets pull away slightly from the wall at the bottom? I watched this video and this man claims that is an issue with ikea cabinets. Is this true for you as well? I think IKEA will be the best and safest option for me within my budget.

• Kathryn P
    6 years ago

I've got ikea cabinets and the cabinets have little spacers you install on the bottoms during the build process to account for the extra depth because of the rail at the top. So no funny hanging or pulling away. You can see the spacers in the shadow when I put my phone below the cabinets, but they're not normally visible.

• Kathryn P
    6 years ago

Also, ikea cabinets do not come in 2" increments. It's true their sizing is more limiting than other companies, but generally they go by the same 3" increments that other companies do. They just don't carry all sizes (27" or 33" for instance). And one more point to clarify, there is a 12" pullout basket base cabinet, but there is also a 12" door cabinet. I have one and use it to store baking sheets. There isn't a 12" base drawer option though.

• m_gabriel
    6 years ago

The current 12" pullout has two solid white shelves (set positions; can't be adjusted). I use it for cleaning supplies. Happy with my IKEA kitchen.

• btydrvn
    6 years ago
    Without reading all the comments...it is my opinion that IKEA cabinet are not really a good investment for long term ..or quality...I would avoid them unless they are all you can afford...
  • sunshine home
    6 years ago

Ikea is both good quality and decent for the long term with their 25 year warranty. Personal opinions are great, but they don't help the OP unless you can back them up with facts and your own experiences with ikea kitchens.

• karemore55
    6 years ago
    Kathryn P, thanks for correcting my mistakes....you are absolutely right about the 3" increments. I don't know where my head was at when I said 2" lol. And I do see that there is. 12" base cabinet with 3 shelves....I'm sure it was available when we did my daughter's reno (2015), so I must have missed it somehow.
    Lisa, one thing I'd like to add is that it would be totally worth it to have the Ikea contractors do the install. The cabinets arrive completely disassembled and i would think it would be a nightmare for the average homeowner to tackle assembly and installation him/herself. The contractors are so experienced they can have your cabinets in place in 2 days or less. These makes for shorter down time for the entire kitchen reno.
  • chiflipper
    6 years ago

Pay for the Ikea install team...it's way cheaper than marriage counseling.

• karemore55
    6 years ago
    Chiflipper - lolololol!
  • K Laurence
    6 years ago

Everyone will have a different opinion. I have no personal experience with IKEA kitchen cabinets, but one of our friends bought a house where they had been recently installed. Our friends said that they are of poor quality, but I'm sure that might differ depending upon the selection. IF you can afford it, I would go the custom cabinets route, but that's just my personal preference. I guess it depends upon where you live ( value of your house) & how long do you think you will live there...

• T. J.
    6 years ago

IKEA and have them installed. I had a semi-custom kitchen in my old place and my husband (now our) home has an Ikea kitchen..... I like his cabinets more than the ones I paid double for. The reason I like them more is they are sturdier and easy to replace a door or change the kitchen because I can go to Ikea and buy replacements (at least for now).

• Janie Gibbs-BRING SOPHIE BACK
    6 years ago

We installed an Ikea kitchen this past December, Sektion cabinets with Bodbyn doors, hired the installers, best investment we could have ever made.