Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmg77

son's 1st apartment - can cherry furniture go on a taupe gray rug.

dmg77
6 years ago

Hi,

I am picking up furniture for my 22 year old son's 1st apartment. Unbelievably, he fell in love with that rug and bought it. Do you think the cherry dresser & night table will be o.k. w/it? The furniture is at Costco (no headboard available) and I can pick it up today and have it to him by the weekend. The price is great, too. In this photo, the rug appears very silvery & there is some silver in it, but not nearly as much as shown. In fact, in person, the black is striking, which doesn't really appear strong in the photo.

Any advice you have is appreciated.

Thank you.

Comments (8)

• Cara Lewis-Watts
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Here's a badly photoshopped rendering. I don't mind it, especially if the grey comes out in the bedding.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    I would try to find black and white bedding with bright yellow accents. I will post a room I did for a young professional. Bbl
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    Using some gold would modernize the look and be a younger look. We added a black faux throw instead of the white one shown here.
  • miss lindsey (She/Her)
    6 years ago

Has he ever slept in a sleigh bed before? My 6'4" husband can't stand them so consider his height when making this decision!

Even though the suite is pretty and does go with the rug, it seems very heavy and formal for a young guy and it will be burdensome to move around as he progresses through life's stages. It might also not suit the taste of a future s/o which might cause a dilemma when it comes time to furnish a forever home. It might be more practical to get a bedframe and create a "headboard" from reclaimed wood or from a gallery of photos, art, etc.

• dmg77
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your advice.

Felizlady, I couldn't agree more. It's a miracle he picked the rug. He literally has been sleeping on an air mattress in a room with nothing but his clothing in a suitcase and his suits in the closet. I always ask him to call me the minute he meets someone named Belle. He doesn't laugh, but the rest of us do ;-)

Cara,

Badly photoshopped is in the eye of the reader - it looks good to me. Whew.

Flo,

The gold looks great.

Lindsey,

I'm not getting the bed - just the dresser and night table. Honestly, they are inexpensive enough that "Belle" can do whatever she wants with the stuff. I'm a daughter in law and always side with daughter in law (even when they're wrong, which isn't very often!)

Thanks guys, I really appreciate this.

• torreykm
    6 years ago

I think it will look great. Since he's not getting the headboard - perhaps a grey upholstered one would look nice.

• dmg77
    Original Author
    6 years ago

That's a great idea - I will look into it. Cannot believe the prices of the costco furniture. Some of the stuff in there is beautiful.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!