Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
keithdavis79

Off centered tile to shower valve/head

Davis Plastering
6 years ago
I had asked my contractor to center the vertical tile joints on this 12"x24" marble on the shower valve/head. When I returned in the afternoon it clearly had not been done. The tile installer claimed he started with a full tile on the outside and ran with that layout. What are people's thoughts on his decision? Should he pay to redo it as instructed? (The shower valve/head are not center of this wall, they are centered between the left wall and future glass enclosure). Would you choose to center the tile layout on the entire wall and forget about the glass enclosure? Or center the tile up with the valve/head as I requested to keep the symmetry inside the shower itself? Thank you!!!

Comments (11)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 years ago

It looks great, leave well enough alone. Centered on wall/glass fine as well......when the glass is there, you will agree I am sure

• PRO
    Cinar Interiors, Inc.
    6 years ago

I agree with the statements above but you are the one paying them to do their jobs... How does the other wall look where the tile ends? To give a better answer about the install I feel we need to see the entire install area.

• PRO
    123 Remodeling Inc.
    6 years ago

I'd like to see the rest of the shower, but I usually prefer this kind of full tile layout. I think you'll be pleased when it's all finished.

• Wendy
    6 years ago

I agree with all above. The way the contractor laid out is good. If you center the tile on the shower head that would create two smaller pieces on the sides, wouldn't it? I don't think that would look right. You may want to follow your contractors advice on this one.

• PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    6 years ago

I think if he tried to center it, there would almost be no variation between the joints on the two rows of tile and it would have looked awful. It would give what is called a "zipper" effect. IMO, he did it correctly and this is what looks the best.

• T. J.
    6 years ago

Thank the person who tiled for not listening to you and doing what is best. He probably laid out the tile according to what you wanted and realized it would look bad. He did you a favor.

• PRO
    Davis Plastering
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you all for the Input! I feel better about the application.
  • PRO
    Phillip F Gaudette Construction Co.
    6 years ago

I am looking at the same situation and so glad I read this as I was going to center the tile on the valve But after seeing all the input I will do as seen in photos

• PRO
    Creative Tile Eastern CT
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I would need to see the back wall and location of the curb prior to making a final decision. Starting center on the back wall and folding the cuts at the corner might eliminate that 4" piece and move it toward the curb. The glass could be mounted over the grout joint at the curb and the entire shower would look as if full tiles were used every where. By folding the corners you get to use the same piece of marble from one wall to the next which means the natural veining would line up and continue around the corner. Just one tile guys opinion.

• PRO
    Eclectic Carpentry LLC
    last year
    last modified: last year

Sorry, he should have centered the seam. That is inexperience. It's a staggered pattern anyway. If you made that request, absolutely you should have the 1 wall redone but if it wasn't in writing good luck if he denies the request.

I design and build and I am working on a custom shower now. What am I doing? Figuring center of my controls relative to the curb, glass and wall. Seeing what works best. Working with 24x48 tile.

If you didn't have the controls and drain moved in relation to the tile layout then he still could have centered the seam or to the control.

I'd say you get what you pay for but even the inexperienced guys are charging a lot.

Design and layout is the #1 item. Do it right and the job runs smoothly. Every trade gets a plan.

Good luck.