rosecanadian

Summertime and the Rosin' is Challenging!

rosecanadian

Hi everyone,

Due to most people being unable to see the photos on Summertime and the Rosin' is Easy...I decided to start a new thread. :)

Here are some of my recent roses:

Garden shot

Memorial Day and Falstaff (new this year)

Lorice Wojciechowski (Bareroot. Phototropic - In the shade for most of the day, so it's lighter.) I like how it's quilled. It has a very high center.

Buxom Beauty

Chandos Beauty X 2

Belinda's Dream

Pink Peace

Radox Bouquet

Dark Desire

Carol

• Henrik (Sweden, USDA 4-5)

Carol: My VdB isn't very photogenic as a bush, especially not this year. I don't have any good photo but I found one from about a week ago:

About a third of the flowers balled this year.

It's been a candidate for shovel pruning for several years (gets powdery mildew, rust and black sport every year) but I always end up keeping it anyway because I haven't been able to find a better alternative with similar colours and bloom form.

rosecanadian thanked Henrik (Sweden, USDA 4-5)
    Featured Answer
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Oh my goodness Nanadoll, each one a stunner. No wonder everyone wants Augusta Louise. What a gorgeous rose. Love Song is such a romantic color.

I love your Munstead Wood. I am happy with my MW right now too. The color is unbeatable. I am even picking up. a lovely fragrance.

You know, I spent the rest of the day freaking out about that bat. He flew under the undercarriage of my bus were he is probably still hanging oUT. Pun intended. Hopefully he has moved back to his bat cave .

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

My condolences, Jim. Yours sounds like a tight knit family. That's a treasure.

You learn something new every day here. I did not know armadillo's had furry bellies. That almost makes them cuddly.

Diane, if that Love Song is a little tattered, then I give up! Looks perfect to me. Augusta L is still the most beautiful rose I've ever seen. I'm hoping my new Sonia Rykiel and Versigny will sorta, kinda make up for her. Versigny doesn't know he's supposed to rest between bloom cycles. Sonia is taking her time. We're getting similar weather. Rained all day. Hard to give up a day, but the roses are all smiling.

Kristine, all I can say is - ackkkk! I know, bats are good, but they're even scarier than armadillos! Cori Ann, I bet that bat wasn't too anxious to go back to the yurt with the man with the broom!

Trish, I completely agree with you on fragrance and Diane sharing top honors. We ought to nominate them to have their own float, (provided by Garden Web), in the Rose Parade in Pasadena, CA on January 1, 2018. How fun would that be! We could all take the Pink Party Bus down there for a big party afterward.

• titian1 10b Sydney

Great idea, flowers!

• Ann9BNCalif

I returned from a trip a week ago and happily discovered that my newest miniature rose, Pink Poodle had finally bloomed! Pink Poodle is a Ralph Moore creation that I believe is fairly rare at this point.

I happened to ask Pam at Angel Gardens almost a year ago if she had this rose. She said I could be on a waiting list. I finally got Pink Poodle a couple of months ago. It struggled during our successive heat waves, even though I put it in partial shade. While on my trip I was worried about my husband watering my pot ghetto but when I returned, I discovered this cute little rose!

I think my pot ghetto likes my husband better than me.

Ann

• titian1 10b Sydney

Ann, I thought I was looking at a dahlia! What a pretty and most unusual looking rose. Trish

• Ann9BNCalif

Thanks titian1!

I love dahlias so naturally Pink Poodle has a lot of appeal for me.

I recently got Jean Giorno which I think is an HT and really looks like a yellow dahlia.

It's still a baby, not much fragrance so far which I believe it's supposed to have. It can get very tall and needing support, even in a pot.

Ann

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9

Ann, I am in love with Pink Poodle! I wonder if Burling carries it?

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9

Oh, and Happy New Year l'Shanna Tova! for those that celebrate today.

• Ann9BNCalif

Hi mustbnuts -- I checked with Burling a year or two ago and I think she said she had problems with getting Pink Poodle to grow.

I was supposed to get PP in April I believe but Pam kept saying it could use more time. I finally got it in late July. I would contact Pam (Angel Gardens) and get on the waiting list if you really like it.

Ann

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Wow, what a sweetheart of a rose.

I have a rose with no buds or blooms on it yet can your husband come over and spend the weekend watering it ? Maybe it will Bloom for him. Sounds like he has the touch.

• fragrancenutter

Girls thanks for your confidence in me but there are so many great Rose growers here I'm hardly the rose whisperer!

Ann that is a very pretty and unusual rose indeed! The petals are shaped like leaflets and there is even a vein in the middle! How wonderful!

• jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

Great pics Ann! :-)

• Ann9BNCalif

Thanks Kristine! I think my roses got tired of me staring at them, willing them to grow or bloom. Once I was gone and the pressure was off, they responded to this other human who just gave them what they needed with no expectations. They probably wish I would go away again!

Glad you like Pink Poodle fragrancenutter. Your roses are really gorgeous and I enjoy your postings!

Ann

• Ann9BNCalif

Thanks Jim!

Ann

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho

Ann, how do you get such perfection, especially in such unusual roses? I, like Trish, thought I was viewing a dahlia until I read your post, and even more amazing is that you have a yellow dahlia/rose, Jean Giono. I looked Pink Poodle up on HMF, and none of the photos there could hold a candle to your photo above. I did notice that there was a lot of variability in color and bloom structure, though, and a few didn't even look like Pink Poodle, but just a conventional rose bloom.

Jim, I'm sure that cowboy armadillo was a stuffed one, but the guy drinking the beer looked alive to me. What do you think? I also second your recommendation to LL to put out a few beers and let the armadillo get good and wasted. Then a nice drive in the country to distant lands, ending in a new home, might be good for the the armed one and LL's roses.

Well, today the rain has gone and it's back to wind, with plants the looking beat up and stripped of blooms. The deer have been up to their mischief, and there are just two ragged Augusta Luise blooms left on the plant. At least we don't have hurricanes. I am appalled that yet another one, Maria, is striking Puerto Rico. I hope she totally misses the US.

And I thank you all for the lovely comments about my photos. But I do believe we all are devoted rose whisperers, and the photos shown just on this thread prove it. Diane

Augusta Luise and her family a few days ago before wind and deer, sob

• dublinbay z6 (KS)

Don't you think it is about time to start a new thread--Part II--and continue the conversations there? This thread is so overloaded with pics that it almost cannot get them loaded now--had to wait several minutes for the pics to show up.

But whatever you wish. Lots of lovely roses and rose talk here. : )

Kate

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho

We know that, and a new fall thread is being started by Cori Ann this Friday. More information is up the thread. Diane

• Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy

Hi dublinbay. The gardeners on the rose forum do a seasonal thread each season. It's usually ongoing for the entire season. One person "hosts" it by starting it and trying their best to comment regularly. I volunteered and am starting the fall thread (spring for those down under) on Friday. :-)

• jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

I did not realize how big some of our Marigolds were until I layed a yard stick on top of one...lol

• Ann9BNCalif

Hi nanadoll - thank you for your kind words but the word "perfection" doesn't apply to anything I grow! I try to have fun with my roses, capture beauty in photos, and share that beauty with other rose crazy folks like me. I appreciate your sharing your photos of your many lovely and very well-grown roses!

I was inspired by Paul Barden's Pink Poodle which is pink and white. I hope my rose shows some variation like his. Pink Poodle has produced a couple more buds so I'm looking forward to seeing what blooms.

Jim - your marigolds are amazing! I love the color.

Cori - Looking forward to the new fall thread and your contributions.

Ann

• Samuel Adirondack NY 4b5a

Jim that's so cool. Nice marigolds . A neighbor has a rose flower bed with yellow marigolds. He's a great neighbor because I feel better knowing that I have the protection for the roses from pests. Keep some of the bugs away.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)

Nana and cori--sorry I butted in. I seem to have been out of the loop this summer and wasn't aware of this new practice. I shall follow along as best I can.

I've been taking an assessment of my garden the past week. Couple RRD casualties and several that seem to have just died from the heat. I was in the hospital earlier this summer and then recovering, so I didn't keep up with the watering very well. This is the first time I've lost multiple plants to the summer heat.

New roses for next spring:

• Felicia Hybrid Musk (died)
    • Molineux (died)
    • Scepter'd Isle (RRD)
    • Eden (RRD)
    • Eliza--a new rose with more BS resistance as replacement for Mrs. John Laing (died)
    • Elina--maybe; there is a tiny plant there barely surviving--maybe it will get through the winter--but I don't know.

I also had a Double Knock Out die in the summer heat--not replacing it. Moved some daylilies over there. Never was the best spot for a rose in the first place.

I also have 3 Home Runs--not looking real well; have no idea if they will survive the winter or not.

Interesting that this summer has proven harder on my roses than winter has. Usually it's winter that takes one or two of my roses; this time, summer has taken 3-4 of them. And then there is RRD!

I'm impressed with all the lovely pics of Augusta Luise above. If I were looking for a new rose. . .but I'm not, so don't even think about it, Kate!

: )

Kate

• Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy

Ann I agree wih Diane. Your rose photos do display perfection. Plus you and I have similar tastes in many ways when it comes to roses, so your photos have inspired quite a few of my purchases this past year!

I'm looking forward to fall here (and spring for those in Australia). It's my favorite season.

I have a feeling this year is going to be a very good fall for me... and hopefully for the garden too. I just got news today that I was accepted into the doctorate program of my first choice school, which means I can breathe easier while finishing up these last few prerequisites. I can spend a little more time in the garden. :-)

I'm still processing it. It hasn't quite sunk in, but it is wonderful news and I'm ecstatic!

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

Great news, Cori Ann. I think they should give you extra credits for your uplifting all of us!

• Ann9BNCalif

Thank you Cori and congratulations on your acceptance to the doctoral program! I'm happy to be an enabler; hopefully those purchases have worked out well for you.

Ann

• Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy

They have Ann! Thank you! We are in similar microclimates and have similar rose taste... so I'm sure we can continue to enable each other. :-)

Thank you Sheila. Instead of extra credit, I will gladly accept your appreciation. :-)

• titian1 10b Sydney

Well done, Cori Ann. Now you have a whole new place to take by storm!

• jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

Congrats Cori Ann!

• Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy

Thanks Trish and Jim. Soon I will be making you all call me Dr. ;-)

• fragrancenutter

Well done Cori Ann!

• Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy

Thank you so much everyone. I really appreciate all of the support from my rose friends! I have been the oldest in all my prerequisite classes so far... but I'm also the first to be accepted. ;-) Second adulthood rocks. I'm happy to keep giving the young ones something to strive for for their own future second adulthood. ;-)

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Dr Cori Ann of Norcal east bay. I love it

• Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy

Still 4 more years. But yes. :-) Before I'm 50. :-)

• jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

ok Doctor Cori Ann - Norcal east bay, inland valley(9b sunset 14 - acidic clay soil, extreme hot, dry and radiant heat, but with enough winter chill for peaches) and remember to get your flu shot this season... ;-)

What doctoral subject/area you going to get into cori ann?

• Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy

It's a clinical doctorate in physical therapy. :-)

• jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

Cool Cori Ann! A girl that lives in Florida whom my wife knows is in that field and does very well... Awesome!

While checking out our roses today I noticed Miracle on the Hudson has produced a few blooms... I see lots of rose midge damage though but we will take what we can get...

I still really like the look of a faded Julia Child bloom...Those speckled spots & that slight yellow glow in the middle...lol

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18

That's so great that you got your first choice, Cori Ann. Congrats!

• rosecanadian

Well, it's snowing...been snowing all day..windy, crappy weather. LOL

Lisa - what glorious roses!! - Mary, Louise and Abe look gorgeous!!! But your cat is such a beauty!!! Those eyes!! Oh my!

Jim - love your Julia!! So many lovely roses!!

Titian - no, the house doesn't seem empty...I actually had a good moment...my daughter was emailing me about how sad she still is about Toffee (one of my dogs that died over Christmas). I commiserated with her...but then after I was done with the email...I could shut off the anxiety that usually would stay with me all day from being worried about her. It was really quite a wonderful feeling. I've had so much drama with my kids over the many years...that it's nice to shut the feelings away.

Diane - Diane - Diane!!!! Wow!!! Those are GORGEOUS roses!!!!

I've got to go lie down now.

I'll keep responding later.

Carol

• jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

You serious its snowing at your location Carol?... Hopefully the cold miser did not get carried away...

• titian1 10b Sydney

Carol, sorry about the crappy weather, but great about you. I've had a few dramas too, but long in the past now, thank goodness.

• jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

An entire branching cane on one of our D Ko's was getting dead yellow leaves...Took a look and found this so cut the entire cane to the ground...

Alittle bare in that spot now but not to bad..

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

That looks like flat head apple borer damage, Jim.

• jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

Some type of borer...I'll have to keep my eyes open from now on...

• Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy

Carol I'm sorry about your snowy weather too... but it was wonderful to read about the nice moment you had not worrying about the kids. We have had family drama in the past too.

I love having an "empty nest." Suits me just fine! Love my kids... but love my own space with my hubby too.

Your roses are always a joy to see and you did such a great job cohosting this thread after the photos crashed the last thread.

The autumn equinox (for the northern hemisphere) is supposedly at about 1pm (my Pacific time) tomorrow, but I will open up the fall thread in about 2 hours since then it's officially tomorrow on the east coast. ;-)

I'm going to cozy up next to a fire outside, drink some wine, and say farewell to summer, hello to fall.

• Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy

Thank you so much to Halloblondie for officially hosting the summer thread. And to all the other cohosts who help to make this rose community so inviting, friendly and fun!

• Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy

A few minutes before it's tomorrow on the east coast... but the fall rose thread is up... http://forums2.gardenweb.com/discussions/4877503/m=23/rocking-the-fall-and-rolling-the-spring

See you there!

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho

Yikes! I am getting behind, and if I don't get caught up, I'll be left behind forever in summer (I can think of worse things). Cori Ann, how wonderful about your acceptance into your first choice of schools. Will you begin soon, or are there more classes to plow through like physics? I love your positive attitude, and I'm sure lots of success awaits you. Meanwhile, we'll all have some fall fun. Like a virtual Halloween party, maybe? I'm sure Jim can supply some gruesome photos! Vampire armadillos, perhaps?

Jim, is that some kind of white filament growing under the bark of your Double Knockout rose? I just read on the Antique Rose Forum about oak root fungus in a rose, and the photo shows the white fungus filaments growing under the bark of the infected rose. I guess it can invade roses where it is wet. The thread is entitled Death of a Rose, and the OP was Rosefolly. I'm sorry I don't give a link, but I'm a computer illiterate old lady.....Your photos of Julia and MotH are beautiful. I keep saying you must grow more Julia with those marigolds.

Carol, I was getting worried about you again, and am so glad you posted. Phooey on snow already. Our weather turned cold, windy, and wet several days ago, and it's really inhibited blooming and any ripening of cukes or tomatoes. Summer came to a crashing halt. I think the cold continued on up your way. Last year, summer and a warm fall just went on and on. We've had four days straight of light rain which is amazing here. Thank you for your nice rose compliment. How are your flowers and roses doing in the snow? I hope it melted promptly.

Kate, I hope you'll be posting in the fall thread. I'm sorry you lost roses to the summer heat. And how are you doing yourself? Ready to plant all those replacement roses? I've got to do some tearing out and planting yet, and it's nearly October. I'll be doing this stuff on Christmas Eve if the weather doesn't let up.....As far as loading a lengthy thread--have you tried just going straight to the bottom of the thread using the "End" button? Some people have to hold down CTrl and End at the same time. I just punch End.

Speaking of end, this is the end of this post, and it's onward to fall. See you all there. Diane

• titian1 10b Sydney

Thanks Halloblondie and Carol for hosting this thread. Look forward to seeing you all in the Fall one.

rosecanadian thanked titian1 10b Sydney
  • mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9

Thank you all! On to the next chapter in our lives and rose's lives! Happy Fall and Happy Spring everyone!

• jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

Nanadoll, no white filament under our rose bush... Sun made it look that way...There was a borer of some type in the branch..

Loudoun County's Premier Painting Contractors