Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cheezewhiz

Feature Wall on New Build

cheezewhiz
6 years ago
Here is the design of our back feature wall in our new build. The front door opens directly across from it so it's the first thing you see when you walk in. I was pretty adamant about having the window over the gas fireplace as we live in snow country and have very few sunny days November to March. Now I'm second guessing myself.

1) Would I be more visually appealing to take the fireplace all the way to the ceiling (which is about 14ft tall)? Or would the loss of the window really darken the whole room?

2) We picked double hung windows as the rest of the house but I'm wondering since these are at the back if they should be different. No grids? I'm leaning towards keeping them clear.

We've been working on this design for nearly 9 months now and I need someone with a fresh perspective. Thank you in advance.

Comments (14)

• felizlady
    6 years ago
    The plan looks like three square windows over two double-hung divided-top windows and a fireplace. Five windows in two styles on one wall? Or are the two objects to the sides of the fireplace bookcases with doors? If the view from those windows is beautiful, why not have one tall window on each side of the fireplace? I would prefer a plain wall or an exposed chimney over the fireplace, because I would hang a large painting there. A seated person may see treetops through the upper windows, but nothing more. Depending upon the direction the windows face, you may need window coverings to control direct sunlight or reduce glare. Since that wall is the first thing guests see, I would want to make the view the focus.
  • PRO
    PPF.
    6 years ago

• cheezewhiz
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Those are two double hung windows on either side of the fireplace. The picture ppf did is probably the best looking and not too much change. There was issue designing the wall and needing support through the middle which is why they aren't tall windows.

I think it may be possible to trim it all out to look like one large window?

I think the architect put that mantle in as a placeholder. We were planning on river rock with piece of live edge wood mantle. Maybe the issue with the fireplace is the size it is right now. Maybe it's too large for a window above but too small for no window?

You are correct that there won't much much to see in the window above the fireplace - it's just so gloomy here half the year I was trying to bring in more light. I was planning on electric shades for those times the sun would come in on hot summer days.
  • User
    6 years ago
    I like the original one but I prefer the bottom to be the sliding pocket windows which slides into each frame
  • PRO
    PPF.
    6 years ago

Here is another idea. Make the upper windows as large as possible, and optionally add a 3rd on each side.

• cheezewhiz
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I'm not sure what you mean by sliding pocket windows? The slider windows? I didn't think about those as I was told they were the least efficient. But they would probably visually look best.
  • PRO
    PPF.
    6 years ago

Windows really should match remainder of house.

• cheezewhiz
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    PPF - I think you may have pointed out why I never really liked the windows up top. They didn't really fit anything else. Would you suggest putting the exact same windows above - even though we couldn't open them they would look the same.

Are you thinking we should take the stone all the way up? Either straight or possibly angled?

I want to thank everyone for their suggestions so far. I needed fresh eyes. :)
  • PRO
    PPF.
    6 years ago

When I said match, that's in a general sense. The lower windows have grids in the top sash, so carry that into the windows above, only they are fixed and have grids over the entire window.

Also, consider doing away with the raised hearth. The fireplace seems rather imposing as is.

Fireplace extending to the ceiling. Could also have plumb (straight up) sides.

Might be rock, or just drywall.

• PRO
    PPF.
    6 years ago

I'd probably do this.

• PRO
    PPF.
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Quick rendering

Here is one with a less busy grid pattern -- one on left, different on right.

• Nidnay
    6 years ago
    Personal opinion here - I would never place a window directly above a fireplace. It looks very awkward to me and makes the fireplace look fake (real wood burners need a chimney).

Really like PPF's last three renderings and the window layout.
  • cheezewhiz
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you very much for the renderings. It looks fantastic like this. Much better with the fireplace all the way up the middle and the angle is much more appealing than straight. I like the low hearth too!