Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jessica_cook43

Garage door color advice for mid century red brick ranch

Jessica Cook
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Slowly adding mid-century touches to our red brick ranch, beginning with a focal point front door. I know we need to update the trim color, and I'm thinking about dark gray. My question for this group is what to do with the garage door. Should we go basic and keep it all the same color as the trim? Our neighborhood is very conservative and even my plans to add some large metal house numbers is going to rock the boat a bit...but I love the design of this house and want to highlight it. Is there a contrasting color I could add to the garage door rectangles, or maybe just a lighter or darker shade than the trim? I would love your advice.

PS - any thoughts on size/location of the house numbers, replacing the lights, or what to do about the odd iron support post is also appreciated!

Comments (16)

• Jessica Cook
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Here's another exterior photo. Landscaping is a work in progress!

• PRO
    Gary Rosard Architect
    6 years ago

How about painting the garage door a red to complement the brick. I agree with librastudio to minimize contrast of the trim. Put the house numbers below or next to the sconce. There are lots of modern looking exterior sconces to replace those with, check out either ylighting.com or lumens.com. As far as the wrought iron post goes, it looks like it may be structural, so not sure I'd just remove without replacing with something else. I did a cool v shaped steel post on a similar house, but unfortunately don't have a photo to send.

• mmilos
    6 years ago

I would keep the trim white if your windows cannot be painted.

I would replace the decorative iron scroll post with a plain square column.

Replace the light sconces with something bigger.

Put the house numbers on a plaque mounted to the brick on the right side of your entry way facing the street. Light up the house numbers with a low voltage landscape light in your planter bed.

• PRO
    Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader
    6 years ago

I like the gray idea. I would do the trim and the garage door in the gray and save the pop of color for the front door. The teal color you have would work with the gray. I would also replace the wrought iron post with something with cleaner lines (simple square post). You could put the house numbers on the post. I would definitely replace the porch and garage lights with something with a more MCM look. If you're interested in seeing some "virtual" changes to your house check out my web site, Creative Visual Concepts. I could show you how your house might look with the suggested changes.

Jessica Cook thanked Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader
  • schnable1
    6 years ago
    SW exterior historic colors has a modern, mid-century view of different colors. You are right on with the gray and might find more inspiration.
  • Denita
    6 years ago

I like your front door - and the color. I do think painting the garage door in a color that blends with the brick would take the emphasis off the garage door and put in on the front door - where it belongs. Possibly replace with a style that mimics the front door (not the color - the window style).

Olsen Residence · More Info

Or go completely modern with this type of garage door :)

Note how the driveway and walkway are done in this MCM below...pretty outstanding reno and your home has all the good bones to go in a MCM direction.

Tangerine in the Desert · More Info

Jessica Cook thanked Denita
  • resist9
    6 years ago

If you want to give it a true midcentury modern look, as opposed to just a midcentury look, paint the brick. Any color on the gray spectrum will do.

• Tony Montana
    6 years ago

I swear to god they just started selling a door very similar to yours if not identical at menards. I was laughing cause I seen 3 new doors there and I remember seeing doors like that as a kid. Now they're selling them again and calling it modern. LMAO. This whole modern thing is a joke. Its really one thing but they call it another. Seen it a million times. Just do quality and you'll never loose.

• Tony Montana
    6 years ago

I was right!!! Here it is!!! Keep yours, its original!!! Its probably real wood.

I think its hilarious they always resort back to the old styles. Because the actual modern designs are garbage!!! No one these days has any creativity. Can you imagine how many people threw out this door cause its "dated"? Now their selling it as ''modern'' and a ton of people are buying it again. Only now their less quality. This industry is scam artists.

• annied75
    6 years ago
    What color is your roof, since it's difficult to tell? You'll want to take that into consideration when you're picking out exterior paint colors.
  • Jessica Cook
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Wow, I am so grateful for all of your quick responses! This is my first Houzz post and I'm so glad I did it.

First, I should have been more clear, the door is new. It's the closest match I could find to MCM style for less than $2k...and it's from Home Depot. :) Tony Montana, that Menards price made my heart rate go up quite a bit until I saw it's for just the unpainted slab...ours was around $900. It came pre-painted that color and I love it, but lime green was my second choice. I love the bright yellow suggestion too!

Our roof is brown; really brown, and fairly new. Do you think I need to rethink the gray idea based on this information? I never even considered it. I LOVE the advice to just do one trim and garage door color though, the example photos from librastudio are just what I'm going for. Mmilos, the windows are wood so can be painted. I do want to get rid of the white, but I know it's a big project.

Thanks for the advice about the post as well. I know a square wood column would be easy to do with our resources, but I know a metal artist as well and maybe I'll ask him for a price for something more bold.

Shopping for house numbers and lights today! Thanks again.

• Tony Montana
    6 years ago

A door with the frame is usually only about $50 more. If you paid for the paint and install then I could see the $900 price tag. I would (and did) pay a little more for the doors at home depot also. Heard a lot of bad things about menards mastercraft doors. They used to be high quality in the 90's but not anymore. Made cheaper. steel is thinner. That "prepainted" gray is not paint, its just primer.

• ptreckel
    6 years ago
    I suggest that you cut the ornamental scrollwork and the twisted rods our of your wrought iron support post. You will be left with a simple linear post with cross braces that will be a quick, temporary fix and enable you to spend your $$$ on more important things. Good luck and have fun!
  • katinparadise
    6 years ago

Posting to follow. Love your door!

• Erica_ Buchanan
    4 years ago

Any updated pictures? I’d love to see!