Shop Products
georgiavines

Almost all of my shrubs and large vines are showing stunted growth

This problem started a couple of years ago with some of my larger crossvines, tecoma stans, and ligustrum. But as the season progressed, they seem to start putting on growth. This year I'm afraid I've lost all my roses, along with many more plants to this problem. I have contacted the U of G programs for help. They were able to tell me that is wasn't certain types of nemotodes but were of no other help. I sure hope someone can point me in the correct direction. I do know that this problem was not caused by anything that i put on the plants as even my giant kiwi vines have this problem and I haven't put anything on them. I'll add a picture of my variegated ligustrum as an example,. Thanks for your help. Lori

• 6 years ago

I have contacted the U of G programs for help.

==>>> who??... and where ...???

oh... you arent georgia??... you are in GA??? ... lol .. good one ...

did you talk with your county extension office????

ken

• 6 years ago

We'd love to help you out but honestly, there is just not enough information provided to make anything more than some broad assumptions or wild guesses.

Were all the affected plants planted at the same time? Have you ever had a soil test done? Have you dug up any of the plants and examined the roots? How are the plants cared for.........fertilizing? mulching? watering? Are you close to any neighbors who might use pesticides?

I would expect this to be a below ground issue :-) Meaning that something in the soil (or missing from the soil) is causing the problems. Might be insects or other soil organisms; might be nutrient issues; might be applied chemicals that have percolated through the soil to contaminate your plantings.

Does the UofG have a plant pathology lab to do a proper diagnosis and evaluation of the affected plants?

• 6 years ago

I agree. We need to know everything you do/did.

We also need more images beyond the few close-up views you shared. For instance a view of the entire shrub, above.

Even tho you said "almost all my shrubs and large vines" are affected, the vine in the 1st image isn't affected.

So, please make a list of what is affected and what's not. If you don't recall or know the names, post images.

Also, please tell us what have you used, applied, added in the line of compost including manure (fresh and/or composted; from a farm or commercially packaged).

Oh yes, how do you get rid of weeds?

The clusters of small elongated leaves in the 2nd image resemble damage from glyphosate (in Roundup & more) that was used the prior fall/winter.

Did that happen/occur?

• 6 years ago

The name georgiavines and that the U of G (ie University of Georgia) indicates to me that this is in Georgia.

What are the soil conditions? Type of soil? Amount of organic matter? Drainage?

Many years ago I had some shrubs not growing well and found there was a leak in the natural gas line running below them.

• 6 years ago

Are you there yet?

Did you find an answer for the distorted growth?

If so, please tell us so that we know just that little bit more. Thanks.

• 6 years ago

Did you talk to someone else about this issue?

• 5 years ago

I have asked this same wuestion of landscapers and ansrborist. My arboricola shrubs are near a large transformer. But this issue has spread to 35’ of my hollies and mexican petunias.

I thought of electrolysis from the box but the maiden grasses around the box are not affected.

Id sure like to know! Changed lawn chemical company too. I have rocks (no mulch) as groundcover.

• 4 years ago

No other replies? This is getting worse.

• 4 years ago

HU and a bunch of numbers, you would probably get some decent input if you created your own thread with clear photos of the problem as well as a detailed description of what is happening and for how long. Include anything you've checked out and what soil and watering conditions are like. Helps to know where you are as well.

Have you discussed this with your local extension service?

• last month

Did you wver find out what the issue is? i have had the same issue wirh my olive tree and boxwood shrub and a coastal rosemary shrub.

• last month

the issue was ..... OP never provided us any further information ...

start your own post. include big city location.. pictures... and

ALL pertinent information ..

ken