Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maryrutho

Wasted space in master bath layout - would LOVE input from designers!

maryrutho
6 years ago

Here is my current bathroom layout:

As you can see, it's a decent size, 14' x 9.25', but the layout is awful! It has the huge bathtub that is set very tall. There is no step so you have to climb in or use a stool. Needless to say, it has never been used.

Also, the corner between the bathtub and vanity is empty space...the only storage is in the double vanity, which is only 32" tall, including countertop.

The shower is a fiberglass insert which feels very cavelike!

Here are pictures of the current bathroom.

This is my proposed layout:

Issues I want to address or fix:

1. More storage - increase vanity size and add tall linen closet where toilet was

2.Move toilet to where shower insert was - I would like to raise the ceiling to ceiling height of rest of bathroom, add exhaust fan, and slider or regular door. I would like to keep current size. I have a few inches that could be added to dimensions, but more framing/drywall, thus more expense.

3. Remove tub and replace with freestanding tub - I only have 56" though. I have found and sat in a tub that size...works for me, but feedback appreciated.

4. Walk-in shower - curbed or curb less? Also, will my dimensions work? Should I build pony wall between vanity and shower or just solid glass? What about heated floors? I plan on installing in bathroom, but can they be installed under shower tile as well?

5. Add lighting above vanity. There are can lights above vanity, but the ceilings are 9', so all they manage to do is create shadows.

These are my thoughts and ideas so far. I would love input from designers or others who have done similar projects for ideas and any other helpful feedback.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (9)

• maryrutho
    Original Author
    6 years ago

This is kind of what I'm going for as far as shower and tub are concerned:

Knobhill House · More Info

Family Loft · More Info

• PRO
    Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
    6 years ago

Where is the transom window located on that wall and what is it's height off the floor? Also, just fyi, moving a toilet can be expensive; likewise installing a curbless shower. I'm not saying you can't or shouldn't do it, just saying that it is a consideration.

• auntthelma
    6 years ago

Looks like an improvement.

Another, less expensive change would be - replace the shower and tub where they are. Then, make the vanity go all along the same wall where it is. Or vanity and linen closet. More counter space. Fewer plumbing moves.

• maryrutho
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I will have to check on the height of the transom window off the floor...not home right now, but you can see it in the pictures above of the vanity. I have already gotten an estimate on moving the necessary plumbing...not as bad as I thought since we have basement underneath so easy access. I haven't gotten other estimates yet, so not sure in the big picture if I will be able to afford the project the way I want. Once I get an estimate on the curb less shower install, I might have to rethink it all!

• PRO
    6 years ago

Was also wondering where the window is as far as left and right on the wall. I'm glad you have gotten some estimates - just didn't want you have sticker shock!

• PRO
    6 years ago

Regarding you proposed plan, I think I would angle the tub in the corner which would allow you to get a bigger tub. I also think it's very pretty that way. A concern I have about the shower is that it looks like the plumbing would be on an exterior wall. I don't know your climate, but I would check with a plumber on it.

Dallas, TX: Ross & Megan Brown · More Info

• maryrutho
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc - I agree, that's very pretty...definitely something to look at! Back to some of your earlier questions, the transom window is 79" from the floor and pretty much the same width as the vanities and is centered directly over the vanities. I do plan on keeping the sinks in the same location, just raising them to fit a taller vanity. I also plan on changing from the two mirrors to one big mirror...I know, not the "in" thing to do, but when I'm using blow dryer and such, I like to be left or right of the sink, just works better for me. My husband prefers that also. It will either be framed or beveled, feel free to comment on that. Any suggestions on light placement...one over each sink (above) mirror, to the side, ?? I have poor eyesight, so bright light is a necessity. Also, the other window is about 15" from the wall.

auntthelma - Anything is an improvement over what we have now, for sure. If the project gets to be too costly, I will have to consider maybe keeping the toilet where it is, but we are definitely moving the shower...too cramped and we have enough room to fit it in on the side by the window.

Thanks again for input!

• maryrutho
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Almost forgot...the plumber suggested adding a false wall with 2 x 4 to put plumbing, since it is on outside wall.