Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_37448293

2 large adjoining "living" rooms - where to put tv?

User
6 years ago

Hi everyone! First time poster here. We have bought a new home and I am attaching pictures of the rooms that I need help with. Please note that the furniture in these pictures is not our own (they are from the staging prior to our purchase).

Here's the dilemma: where do we put our tv? The room that has the dining table is where I am thinking to put our tv, but I don't know where to hang it and what type of furniture may work. The room has lots of windows, which is beautiful...but, it makes finding a place for a tv difficult! (Please note: We will be utilizing another room for our formal dining room (not pictured here)).

As for the room with a fireplace...my preference would be to keep the room with the fireplace a room without a tv. Do you agree? I always hear that if it's possible to not hang a tv above a fireplace, then that is a preferable option. And, because we have the room to make separate rooms, I am inclined to not have both a fireplace and a tv in the same room.

What do you think? Thank you so much in advance!

I've attached photos of our entryway, 2 pics of our potential tv room (the one the previous owners used as a dining room), and 2 pics of the room with a fireplace.

Thank you for your ideas/input!!!

Comments (12)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Reverse your usage, put the tv over the hearth, and use the other as a sitting room......that won;t get used unless you give it a purpose. But it has NO good place for a tv. Make it a reading room, a den... a study, a bar and drinks room......or leave it as dining space which works perfectly well.

I wish they would stop distorting real estate photography!

User thanked JAN MOYER
  • User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

thanks for your input Jan - yes, maybe you are right: perhaps there is no good place for the tv afterall.

• mrykbee
    6 years ago

Would a corner entertainment unit fit where the sideboard is in the dining room? Or is there enough wall space for a tv where the piano is in the sitting room?

User thanked mrykbee
  • mrykbee
    6 years ago

It's also possible to install a shade on that lone window in the dining room (2nd picture you posted), pull it all the way down so a closed shade is what is seen from outside, and then pretend the window isn't there on the inside by covering it with a large, tall entertainment unit (tv, shelving, etc.). Something massive that fits in the "nook." That's probably what I would do. It isn't like you're lacking in light--all of your rooms have great windows.

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks mrykbee - nice points. I suppose we could see if a corner unit might work...never thought about that. And, yes, there probably would be enough room for a tv where the piano is. The piano was left there by the previous owners...so, we need to find a place for that too! The only issue is that that room opens up on the right side similar to the other room. So, it's not a full wall, probably just less than 1/2.

Maybe i just hang the tv above the fireplace...

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Another interesting idea mrykbee...i never thought about that! i hate to cover a window...but, you are right, we have a ton of sunlight....

• mrykbee
    6 years ago

This is what I mean. My photoshopping skills are zero, and this is a stock entertainment unit picture from Houzz smashed on your pretty room, but I think it could work nicely. There are many out there that are much prettier than this one.

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

ha! i don't even know how to photoshop, so you've got one up on me! but, thanks - this helped me visualize what you are saying. interesting idea - thanks

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

w93639, thank you so much. it's an old, old home (1880s victorian). it's a charming home, but needs lots of work. i'm starting to ease into this project...just wait until you see the kitchen. i need major help there! :)

yes, the corner idea is a good one that i never thought of. i always planned to just hang the tv. and, yes, i do believe that that a corner unit can fit in the space that you suggest. terrific idea as well! and, yes, then we could have seating that faces the tv. such great ideas - thank you!

• jhmarie
    6 years ago

Don't hang the TV too high - that always reminds me of a hospital room:)

The TV should be straight on when you are sitting and looking forward. Set it on something and brace from the back if needed to prevent it from falling.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/on-my-soapbox-mounting-the-flatscreen-too-high-dsvw-vd~4537748

User thanked jhmarie
  • User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

helpful link - thanks.