prairiemoon2

Thinking of soil prep for next season....

prairiemoon2 z6b MA

I already have my eye on next season. I have two areas that I want to do more soil prep. One is a a raised vegetable garden, with 5 large wooden raised beds. That area I had tested last year, and it had high levels in all nutrients but nitrogen. This season I was not able to garden it the way I wanted and have not done my usual, additions of grass/leaf clippings or kitchen scraps. I don't make home made compost and organic bagged compost is expensive.

So, I'm wondering what I should do to the soil for next season. I will put a mulch of chopped leaves and grass clippings before winter comes. But is there something I can do to add nitrogen for next spring? I'd also like to have the beds already to be planted.

The second area is a front bed that has perennials, annuals and a few veggies in. I try to grow tomatoes, peppers, herbs, and a couple of squash plants and the rest ...sunflowers, cosmos, cleome, Cuphea, Buddleia, Hydrangea, Sedums, and lots of other perennials. That bed has not had a lot of additional work done to it. I put a good layer of chopped leaves/grass clippings in the fall, but that's it. I can tell by the way the plants grew this year, it needs nitrogen at least, as well. I haven't had this area tested. I thought I could do the same for this area as the back vegetable beds.

Any suggestions would be welcome.