0
fant_agirl

European faucet in America

Me AGirl

How would I install the European faucet in America?

i need an Adapter to connect the european hose to American plumbing.

• frenchtarragon

You've answered your own question: buy an adapter. Your local plumbing store, big box store, or online vendors are all good places to look. If you don't know the specifications, bring in the european faucet and the hose that is currently connected to the pipe and an employee should be able to help you.

• Me AGirl

What measurements? Where to buy? Big box stores do not have it. Don't exactly know what type of adapter it is.

European Oak Flooring

Just my 2 cents worth... but typically, OAK flooring will shrink/expand ACROSS the grain... it's usually pretty stable end to end, as with most hardwood species. Unless you're certain the gaps developed AFTER installation, I'd suggest the possibility they may have been present all along. Which possibly suggests installation issue.

can a european faucet fitting work in an american bathroom?

He may be right. I have this problem all the time working the other way.. I am, based in Switzerland. US faucets have a different gauge and finding a connector between two gauges is incredibly difficult. (But not impossible). The gauge for the water pipe to our US fridge dispenser cost me $200! Just brought a kohler over from the us, and it also caused problems.Also other problem is threading as the threads are sometimes differentAnd just to make matters worse, I am in Switzerland which is not part of the European Union,,so even between France and Switzerland we might encounter problems!

european wood stoves

I'm assuming that you are interested in stoves that are more contemporary in appearance. Jotul's F-370 is available in North America. Hearthstone, a US company, has the Hase Bari and Tula models. Here's a link to a supplier here in BC that has some information on these models (scroll down): http://www.northweststoves.ca/stoves-fireplaces2/wood-stoves Not sure if these have the efficiency desired, but might be a start to what you're looking for.

In2aqua faucets vs Newport Brass

Brizo is just Delta's designer line. kmkane is right about the quality, it is the same as Delta, but, then Delta quality is nothing to sneeze at, and it is backed by a lifetime warranty and one of the world's best customer service operations. Newport Brass (Owned by Masco as is Delta, Brizo and Hansgrohe) assembles faucets in the U.S. from mostly Chinese parts. We don't think it has quite the quality of Brizo faucets, and its warranty is not as comprehensive. Customer service is excellent. In@aqua is a German company out of Stuttgart. Its Kitchen faucets are assembled in Bavaria from Chinese castings, but the innards are European: Fluehs (German) and Kerox (Hungarian) cartridges with Neoperl (Swiss) aerators. It is equivalent to Dornbracht or Hansgrohe in quality at about the same price level. The diamond-like-carbon coating on its Kerox cartridges makes it a standout for reliability and long service -- up to four million cycles in lab tests or about 500 years of typical kitchen use. For the complete report on In2Aqua, go to In2aqua Faucet Review and Rating.
  • wannabath

DONT!! All products sold in the USA are subject to testing that other Countries don't have. You have no idea of it metal make up or what was used in mfg it. Co's pay a lot of money to certify their faucets.

It isn't that USA made products cost more to make because of greedy USA Co's it is the regulations for both workers and the products that have to be followed.

I installed a vanity from Wayfair that came with the faucets. It was obvious they were from offshore. They had ZERO markings to designate it met USA standards. I removed the airator and inside the faucet was rusted and corroded. The exact one is sold on AMAZON. Amazon now sells light fixtures that are not even designed for US based wiring it is disgusting what a Co will do to make money.

There is a web site dedicated to this very thing. You can go on it and verify your faucet set is USA certified.

There are so many faucets it is not worth it. Try explaining that to your insurance co if it creates a leak or your kids if they get lead poisoning.

• kudzu9

Sorry to also be negative, but another problem will be finding parts in the future if the faucet starts leaking.

• Me AGirl

All I need is a connector. I don't know what is the standard European size. And don't know where to find such an adapter

• chiflipper

Take the whole faucet to a plumbing supply (look in the phone book). They will have what you need.

Larisa Pomescikova Interior Design

I agree to chiflipper 100%!

• Me AGirl

I have done so. Not common to find such an adaptor.

i would like to order online, but o don't know size of European standard hose.

The Cook's Kitchen

The thread sizes and angle are different. You won't find an off the shelf adapter even in a plumbing supply house. A specialty industrial supply that deals with large pumps may have something. But it is likely to be a very special order. A local machinist with a lathe could make you one with some brass stock in an hour or two. But I suspect the pricing might be prohibitive.

The thread sizing is just one reason that Euro faucets aren't installed in North America. There are many others. Read Starcraft Builders reviews of faucets to learn a bit more about how plumbing products are tested and certified.

More than you want to know about BSP vs NPT

Me AGirl thanked The Cook's Kitchen
  • wmsimons85

I personally would just buy a faucet here to make life easier and avoid the problems already mentioned.

But have to say wannabath, I would bet that Wayfair faucet you bought was made in China. European products on the most part are good quality and I think sometimes have tighter regs than the US. Chinese products a different story in my opinion.

• geoffrey_b

Buy a faucet made for the USA. We now have strict requirements for the allowable amount of lead in brass.

• w0lley32

I would take the faucet and hose to an industrial hardware store. Many other trades use NPT fittings, and I would assume they would have fittings (or combination of fittings) that can accomodate you european (probably metric threads) to US plumbing.

• plhuckels

My wife bought a faucet from Italy when we lived there 10 years ago. I started installing it last week and as many others found that the water connection fittings from EU to US are not the same. Today I found the holy grail. I went to a hydraulic fitting company here in Denver and a really great guy helped me out. The EU fittings have British Standard Pipe (thread) Parallel (or known as BSPP). I got a male 3/8" BSPP to Male 1/2" NPT (National Pipe Thread) adapter, a typical water line connection size, part # 9007-06-08 and voila. Here's where you can call and get great help:

Mike Ortega, Titan Fittings, www.titanfittings.com or mikejr@vulcanengr.com

Mention my name, Patrick, and hope my issue will remind him of what he'll need to look for.

• mike_kaiser_gw

Patrick, useful information for those trying to install a European faucet in an American kitchen or bathroom. I would imagine that faucets sold in western Europe likely meet safety standards equal to American standards but who knows.

I approach such things from a more practical standpoint - finding parts. Just about every faucet sold today, from national "American" brands to store brands offer a lifetime warranty and free parts, but that doesn't do one much good if a faucet develops a leak on a Saturday afternoon. One can find parts for, say, a Moen faucet at any of the national home centers and hardware stores.

• Me AGirl
    Plhuckels, what a great way to spend 10th anniversary if visit to Italy. ;)

Well, at least you came around the honey to do list eventually ;)
  • pippabean.

No, the US is not the only country with rules regarding lead in drinking water.

In the European Union, faucets need to undergo lead testing, among other tests, before being certified. Certification is required before being allowed to be sold or installed by plumbers, A typical certification for a specific model costs around 50,000 Euros.

Unlike the US, where lead pipes continue to poison countless children, in the EU, back in 2013, new rules were adopted that required old lead pipes, or pipes containing some lead to be replaced with lead-free pipes. I grew up in Switzerland (not a EU member country) and know that lead service pipes were disallowed there early in the 20 century, when the toxicity of lead became known. A far cry from the US, where lead-service pipes were installed until the 1980s! Same with lead paint. Despite it being known what a danger leaded paint posed, the paint lobby managed to keep politicians from passing laws against it until the 1980s. Same for leaded gasoline.

Since December 2013, the allowable lead levels in the EU have been max 0,01 mg per liter. And new rules have been in the works for a while and are just now being adopted, cutting the currently allowable lead level in half, to 0.005mg/l or 0.005 parts per 1000 parts. That's the acceptable lead level of water out of the faucet, not at the water plant. Tennants can have their water tested privately, Should the results be above allowable levels, landlords have to pay for what can be very expensive remediation.

Personally we have a German version Ikea faucet that required adapters for the hoses to be connected to the US system (By the way, German pipe fittings differ from British ones.) DH had no problem finding the correct adapters and neither did our plumber who brought a set with him. So much for it being difficult to find these adapters, sheesh!

We chose the German Ikea faucet because we could get it in stainless steel there, while here in the US it's only offered in polished chrome. We have a stainless Grohe Minta as our main faucet and wanted to pair it with a similar looking smaller faucet for our filtered drinking water (both hoses are connected to the cold water supply). Love the simple design of these faucets, the two go very well together visually and neither one of them poisons us ;-)

Ikea's list of pipe sizes and various connectors around the world:

• plhuckels

Sorry everyone, I gave the wrong website for the part although Mike works at this company also.

www.hydraulichoses.com part # 9007-06-08.

• mike_kaiser_gw

That's nice of Ikea but I think something is lost in the translation because there's no such thing as a 9/16" plumbing fitting in America. 9/16" (I'm guessing is an outside diameter) could be 1/2" iron pipe thread or 1/2" compression, which aren't interchangeable. Frankly it would be better for the American market if they just used a 3/8" compression fitting which is the most common size of shut-off valves.

I have no idea what size pipe threads they use in Germany but assuming it's some standard not used in America you are not going to find an adapter the local home center or hardware store. Plumbing supply houses likely have them but not everyone has a supply house locally and many only cater to the trade.

• pippabean.

mike - DH found the adapter easily. So did our plumber. We're in the Chicago area. Obviously it helps to be in a major metropolitan area.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!

Pipabean, thank you for explaining the level of safety regulations in Switzerland and the EU. I knew the answer in general terms, but didn’t know the specifics. In general, the European view is you have to prove something is safe, whereas the American take is you have to prove something is unsafe. The first standard is much harder to meet than the second.

The Europeans are a lot fussier about what they use in most things and I had faucets from Germany in my last house that are now more than 20 yrs old and never have needed a repair and my plumber found them very easy to install.

• Brad
    I purchased my adaptor at IKEA. YMMV.
  • johnc777

Not knowing any Europeans I can't comment on their fussiness but looking at the website for the German hardware store chain Bauhaus most of their bathroom faucets seem to be in the sub €100 range, with one as low as €20 (about US$23). Many were Grohe (now owned by a Japanese company). I have no idea if a Grohe faucet sold in Europe are any better than ones sold here but given they have to compete in a global economy, I suspect any differences are negligible.

Just like in America, the European stores sell what most people buy. It's not like Home Depot or Lowe's won't sell you a $500 faucet, it's just that they don't stock them because most customers don't want to spend that kind of money.

Kuhns Contracting, Inc.

We as a company do not warranty any product outside of the United States. Caution....water issues can destroy your home....I would recommend staying safe and buy U.S. plumbing fixtures.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!

Folks better toss those Dornbracht, Graff and THG Paris fittings! /s Lol

• pippabean.

Brad, when you purchase your Ikea faucet in the US, the hose connections fit US plumbing. No adapter is needed.

• pippabean.

johnc777 - There are a total of 16 Bauhaus and 19 Otto stores (better known larger chain) in all of Germany. That's just 35 stores for 83 million German people.

For comparison:

The greater Chicago metropolitan area has about the same number of HD and Lowes stores for 9.5 million people.

Very few Western Europeans do DIY. DIY is very much a niche thing.

None of my relatives and friends in Europe does any, at all. Ever. They are not weekend warriors or barn-raisers like you find here. At most, they have a tiny little toolbox with a screwdriver, hammer pliers and a measuring tape. If they need a new faucet or appliances they buy from a "Spezialgeschaeft" that also take care of the installation.

So anyone going to a "Baumarkt" type store to shop for home products is looking for rock bottom prices. Not your average person in Western Europe.

• goodhikers

pippabean not trying to be contrarian, but actually not true at all for Southern Europe where most everyone does DIY! Not just small projects, but whole additions. Usually accompanied by lots of beer, rakija, and BBQ! Also, in the areas of Germany outside the big cities, DIY is now quite popular. For example, near Sindlefingen, Germany (home of Mercedes) we had at least five or six major DIY stores equivalent to Home Depot near our house. In Paris, we found several huge DIY stores in the downtown area (and packed on weekends). Not sure about your relatives there, but I had to wait in line often at checkouts where scores of DIY folks bought their goods. Maybe it is a niche thing, but its a big niche and very common throughout most of Europe now. At my last posting in Zagreb, Croatia, within five or six km of each other (and of ikea), there are four major DIY stores including not one but TWO Bauhaus (and three total in the city). Headed there now! I have finished renovating one apartment and on to the next...all with local suppliers (including a huge Bauhaus in Pula) and a local store (just as big) called Pevec just around the corner from the Bauhaus...and of course, IKEA kitchens, among the most popular in Europe.