Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovetodecorate

I need help deciding on what to do with my ottoman!

lovetodecorate
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I purchased a beautiful leather ottoman from a lady who had it custom made. They didn't install the decorative tack strip correctly and was pretty crooked. She should have not accepted it but she did and it bothered her so she decided to sell it. Everything else about the construction of the ottoman is top notch..I pulled off the rollercoaster tack strip thinking I would just reinstall new tacks. The tacks I removed left impressions from the tack head..little circles. If I were to install new tacks some of the impressions higher up would be noticeable. I'm thinking of leaving it as is. It kind of looks like a design..but I may be kidding myself..I would appreciate your opinions on whether I should leave it as is or install new tacks knowing that some of the impressions will be visible above the new tacks. The first picture is at the owner's home camouflaging the tack job..but if you look closeoh you can see the tacks going up. The second picture is in my living room with the tacks removed. If you blow up the picture you can see the impressions from removing the tacks. Thanks for your opinions..

Comments (22)

• lovetodecorate
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The only problem is they were installed like a rollercoaster so if I put them in exactly where they were they would be crooked again. If I do them straight then you will see the impressions from the previous tacks above some of the area.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

Totally understand that..but with the lighter nail heads the wave will not be as noticeable...that is why the original owner couldn't fix it! Only way to make it go away is to reupholster it..than it is not a good deal...or not attach track add a piece of trim but upholster would have to do that....it is what it is.

lovetodecorate thanked Home Interiors with Ease
  • lovetodecorate
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Okay I understand what you're saying now. It's leather and perfect in every other way so your idea makes sense.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

Great hope it all works out and you can enjoy it!

lovetodecorate thanked Home Interiors with Ease
  • mindshift
    6 years ago

I suppose, over time, that the indentations could relax; however, perhaps you could cover this area with white ribbon—a plain grosgrain or one with a FANCIER design. There are a lot of fabric glues that could make the task relatively easy.

Aleene's Platinum Bond Super Fabric Adhesive gets 4 stars on Amazon. Of course, you should always test on a sacrificial piece before applying to an expensive item.

lovetodecorate thanked mindshift
  • P Banos
    6 years ago

Could you use a larger size upholstery nail that might cover most of the wavy marks from the prior ones?

lovetodecorate thanked P Banos
  • User
    6 years ago

Try a hair dryer on it. The heat may relax the leather enough.

lovetodecorate thanked User
  • lovetodecorate
    Original Author
    6 years ago

P Banos..It isn't a slight amount..It is significant enough that if I put in a new nailhead the impression from the previous one would still show.

• lovetodecorate
    Original Author
    6 years ago

pennydesign, I will try it tomorrow!

• lovetodecorate
    Original Author
    6 years ago

mindshift, that would be great but it's leather so I can't use a trim.

• PRO
    homedecorandideas
    6 years ago

I honestly like it just the way it is. It's unique, imperfect. Perfection can be overrated. Just my opinion. :)

lovetodecorate thanked homedecorandideas
  • lovetodecorate
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The ottoman was purchased at Ethan Allen for close to a $1,000 by the previous owner. She kept it covered with a throw in the first photo for a few years because of the odd way the tacks were installed. I bought it for $75 dollars! It's upholstered in the most buttery leather so I feel it's a great deal. It really does look like a design from afar..I noticed that some of the tacks left cuts in the shape of the tacks. I may leave it as is until I decide what to do. The area on the side in the photo doesn't even show how bad it is. The worse parts are on the long sides. I think I'm going to just live with it the way it is..Putting more tacks in it will just accentuate the defect as the tacks go way above the seam where the tacks on the sides are installed..enough to put another row underneath next to the seam. I'm going to love the imperfection. It's still a beautiful ottoman. Thanks so much for your suggestions!

• Judy Mishkin
    6 years ago

how about a contrasting leather trim strip? glued on, and you could even hold IT down with tacks. it would cover up the old impressions.

for $75, i'd want it better than this.

lovetodecorate thanked Judy Mishkin
  • lovetodecorate
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I thought of that but it would have to be a contrasting color leather as I would never be able to match it. You gave me an idea to see if I can get any ideas from photos.

• Judy Mishkin
    6 years ago

you have a lot of nice colors in your room that you could go with. here are a couple i found.

not advocating either, just that it has been done and i dont think they look odd.

• Judy Mishkin
    6 years ago

you might also have the top part reupholstered, less money than the whole thing.

• lovetodecorate
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I love the leather so would like just a trim. I'm actually using the blow dryer and seeing if I can make some of the circles pop up. A lot of them did but not all and I noticed the tack holes. I need to fill them in. I didn't mention that a one piece tack strip was used so they were tacks on a strip and only every other hole had a circle where you tap one tack in. It's a butter cream color..off white do need something to fill in the holes. If I can get them a little blended in from the blow dryer I may just leave it...or even install a new tack strip which doesn't look too hard.

• Judy Mishkin
    6 years ago

measure from the bottom of where the strip would begin to the top of the highest indentation, and thats how wide of a strip you need.

reminder, you probably arent going to get it on perfectly either. you might have someone else do it if you are in doubt of your skill.

• User
    6 years ago

You can buy leather and faux leather bias tape, for under (or to replace) the new tacks, also...

And I agree with ninigret about taking it in to a local shop if you can. You need a very steady hand and a good eye to do this. You could just give the a call and ask for a guestimate before you go lugging it around.

If you choose to diy, I would chalk a line first and measure measure measure...

So glad you rescued this!

lovetodecorate thanked User
  • PRO
    Efficiency Plumbing & Remodeling, INC
    6 years ago

I would put the tack back on too and maybe put the part that is not straight up against the wall. I like the location in your house for this ottoman in the first pic better than the second. Good luck!

lovetodecorate thanked Efficiency Plumbing & Remodeling, INC
  • susanopeno182
    6 years ago
    I would apply new tack and just forget about it. I doubt anyone but you will ever notice the flaws. We're always critical of our own belongings, but rarely look that closely at other people's decor.
Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!