0
pensacolapi

Simonton Reflections 5500 vs Andersen 400: Time to select, WHICH WAY?

Pensacola PI
last modified: August 28, 2017

Ok, we've gone round and round on windows and I am down to TWO. I've got pricing on the Andersen 400 windows and I just got prices on the Simonton Refections 5500. Truth be told, I was rather surprised by the price of the Simontons. There is a MAJOR price difference and the Simonton's are far less costly. However, let's negate the cost for just a moment. We have 33 windows and 3 french doors. I know the Andersen French doors are so so and I'd lean towards a Provia if anything.

Having said all of that WINDOW for WINDOW, which will be the better performing window? In reading in general the Simonton's are somewhat outdated in the appearance department. I'd prefer to have a better performing window than a window with good looks and so so performance. We've got to plug the window sizes into our final plans so it will be either the Andersen 400's or the Simonton Reflection 5500 windows. The windows are a mix of double hung and casements.

Thoughts and comparisons please....

toddinmn

Pocket the change and go with Simonton.The 400 double Hungs look dated as well with there jambliner system.

• Pensacola PI

Thanks, it's a LOT of change. Well over $10K. How are the Simonton French Doors ?

toddinmn

Never seen there doors

• Pensacola PI

Thanks, nor have I. I can always go with the Provia which seem pretty well received.

HomeSealed Exteriors, LLC

Pensacola, you have a couple pretty different options here. I'm interested to know how you narrowed it down to these two. Kinda like saying I'm choosing between an F350 heavy duty truck and a Honda Civic... What I'm getting at, is that I'd recommend choosing a window material first (wood, vinyl, fiberglass, etc) based on matching your project goals with the inherent properties of each material (or at least the general rule). Then, narrow down a couple final choices in that material. Based on your statements above, you value performance over looks, and with some weight on value as well. Vinyl is an easy choice in that case. Of these two, there is only one vinyl, so if you are truly set on these options, choose the Simonton and save the $$$.

The only other thing that I have to add, is that performance is indeed a primary goal, you may be doing yourself a disservice by not considering another vinyl option or two. Simonton is a solid window, but its performance metrics would not qualify it as a top performer. You've probably read through recommendations for Softlite, Okna, Sunrise, and some others as top performing vinyl products. They should be somewhat close in price to the Simonton, although that will vary by dealer. You have also mentioned the Provia brand, and they have a pretty nice vinyl window as well... Just a thought.

• Pensacola PI

Thanks, due to our location I chose vinyl first for the material. House is dead on salt water. I know the Andersen is a vinyl clad window. We also MUST have the option for an impact window and some of the windows will be impact rated. We've gone round and round and around again with windows. It's been a real thorn in our side LOL and there are only so many avilable locally. We are way out in NW FL. I did some digging on the Provia windows and did get a bid but, the prices were FAR more costly than the Andersen windows. I know overall there's not much love here for Andersen products but figured I'd ask anyway.

IF the Andersen 400's and the Simonton's were the SAME price, window for window which is the BETTER window? If the Andersen's are FAR and away a better performer and value, it's well over $10K but I'd consider going Andersen.

Uneeda Home Improvement Co., Inc

Pensacola:

We are both Simonton & PGT dealers.

I'm not a big fan of the Simonton French door I would consider the PVC French door from PGT that is available both impact and non-impact at a coastal DP rating of +-70. This door is only available outswing.

We offer Provia as well and its a fine product but the PGT door was built for coastal applications.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nj0sdefsrfx9rvy/5PGT5450FrenchDoorBrochure%26ProductGuide.pdf?dl=0

What style window are you purchasing? double hung or casement?

• Pensacola PI

A mix of both. Door won't work, we need two outswing and one inswing that match.

Uneeda Home Improvement Co., Inc

The Simonton casement is standard with a stainless steel hardware as is the double hung so you are covered in that regard. You will probabaly have to upgrade the hardware on the Andersen line at an additional cost.

If you have double hung windows in the bedrooms the egress size is very large on the 5500 series double hung not so on the casment with the available maximum clearance hardware but I'm sure your have looked into egress size requirements at this point.

The 5500 double hung can be upgraded to a design pressure rating of +-55.

Pensacola PI thanked Uneeda Home Improvement Co., Inc
  • Pensacola PI

Thanks much and yes, I've checked egress. Windows meet or exceed requirements. For the price difference, I can buy a whole house generator and still have cash left over!

HomeSealed Exteriors, LLC

1) Good advice from Uneeda.

2) "IF the Andersen 400's and the Simonton's were the SAME price, window for window which is the BETTER window? If the Andersen's are FAR and away a better performer and value, it's well over $10K but I'd consider going Andersen."

It's not that easy, is the point that I was trying to make above. What's a better vehicle, the Ford truck or the Honda. Depends on what you need and want it for. If you want a beautiful, rich, stained wood interior, a wood product like Andersen or Marvin will fit that better. If you want better energy efficiency, no worry about staining or painting in 10-15 years, then a good vinyl window is better. My own personal thought on each of these is that they are both above average to good. I wouldn't call either of them great.

• Pensacola PI

Thank you. Regardless of the window, the interior would be white. We'd end up painting the Andersen's so the wood would not come into play there. The overall energy efficiency is more important than a window that can be painted or stained which ultimately, is more upkeep. Truth be told, the less upkeep we have maintenance wise in the house be it siding, windows, floors or the like the better off we are. The stainless hardware is a very good point regarding an upcharge from Andersen, a question I didn't ask YET!

toddinmn

I think it would be easy to compare especially painting the Windows white. The performance numbers would be really close in DP and U-values. The air infiltration numbers on the casements would really close as well and would be better in the 400 (0.03)double hung which would rival many top rated vinyls

Uneeda, do you know what the air infiltration numbers are on the Simonton's? Do they improve with the PG upgrade?

• Pensacola PI

Seriously, you're in Nevada? I don't think so.

• Ron Mexico

Panda, your excessive spam is making a bigger mess of this forum than my yard after the first snow melt in spring. And I have 4 large dogs. I'd strongly discourage dealing with a company like that.

Pensacola PI thanked Ron Mexico
  • Pensacola PI

Agreed, they've got more complaints against them than our current president if you use Google. AWFUL reputation, I can see why.

• millworkman

" I'd strongly discourage dealing with a company like that."

Spamming is about the least if the reasons I would give...............

Pensacola PI thanked millworkman
  • Pensacola PI

Ain't that the truth MW!

Panda Windows & Doors

We made a ton of changes here @ Panda Windows and Doors, from our installers to some role players here @ Panda, we are here to say that when you buy one of our products we guarantee to be by your side for 10 years. We just want to make it right.

We hope everyone has a fantastic day!

• Ron Mexico

You can start buy offering some sort of relevant advice when you post as opposed to trying to sell your product. Pretty sure houzz charges for advertising, which is precisely what 100% of your post have been

Panda Windows & Doors

Will do! Thanks for your feedback. We appreciate it.

JKL Development Inc.

Panda I hope you cleaned house in Las Vegas! The last time I dealt with your sales staff/managers/installers it was a complete nightmare. The worst service before and after install I've probably ever experienced.

Panda Windows & Doors

We apologize for the inconvenience and know it can get frustrating. We are taking the necessary steps to make your experience with Panda Windows and Doors much better.

toddinmn

Sounds like Much better may still not be all that good.

Pensacola PI thanked toddinmn
  • Alison Winther

Pensacola PI, which window did you end up going with? New construction window selections now and I'm between these two brands as well...