cmmrealdeal

Omg I picked the wrong color!

cmmrealdeal
September 1, 2017
I picked some wood to try to match existing hardwood and it does not match at all. Now I am left to figure out what to do next which would likely be sand it down and restain it, or should I try to just sand it down and leave it natural? Thoughts? should I go to the darker color or the lighter natural color? An expensive mistake!

• Melissa Gallagher
    Sand and re-stain.

"Natural" looks unfinished to me. I'm assuming it's red oak?
  • cmmrealdeal
    Yes it is Red Oak. So match the new wood which is,the darker color?
    Barbara Griffith Designs

You need to sand them both down, then restain to whatever color you want. I see it as your only option.

• lefty47

This is really not a job for an inexperienced person . You need to have all of the hardwood sanded and then all of it stained at once for an even look -- trying to match one with the other never works well.

Beth H. :

when you picked the wood, was it already this color or did you have it stained on site? I'm just trying to understand if the former, couldn't you see it didn't match before install,,,and if the latter, was a sample portion done to see if you could match the existing floor?

if it's solid hardwood, sand down the darker tone and redo. Or, sand the lighter tone and darken to match the kitchen (since you already have that formula)

• chinch

do whatever you have to do to make it match

• cmmrealdeal
    Beth H, it is a prefinished floor and we thought the darker tone would blend in because it matched some of the darker boards and all the other samples we saw didn't match at all. The existing floors is 12 years old and it's not stained but over time it ages and it changes color. This was a huge mistake because I thought it would blend but it absolutely does not. I didn't know what to do because we already had ripped out all the tile. In hindsight I should have had them stop and not continue the installation but everything's been pulled out of the kitchen and all the appliances were moved etc. I didn't know how to stop the project. it took quite a long time to get that wood and then you have to let it set for a few weeks before they actually install it.
    Beth H. :

yes, I see. I just thought, perhaps, you pulled out a few of the boards while they were at the house and laid them next to the old floor. It's quite a difference.

any way, since it's prefinished, it's probably engineered. you really can't sand those to match older, solid hardwood. If it's a prefinished solid oak, then by all means, strip away. But matching that older floor will be a nightmare so that one will have to be stripped and finished at the same time.

• cmmrealdeal
    It is solid so I think will strip it all!
  • Melissa Gallagher
    It's not that horrible of a problem. Get some estimates for sanding and restaining the whole area one color but pick something that will look good with your cabinets, which to me should be nothing as orange as what's already there. It will be fine.
    Even if someone had come in to feather in boards that continued into the old flooring they would have to sand and stain. You could never match up 12 year old flooring with new.
    Now you have a chance to pick a better color!
    Cinar Interiors, Inc.

Prefinished solid or engineered? If engineered you'll want to make sure it has a wear layer of 4mm or greater to be able to sand properly for restaining.

• Melissa Gallagher
    If engineered it will probably only be able to have one sanding so she should be fine.
  • cmmrealdeal
    Melissa, what color do you suggest? Is it possible to go to a flat finish with no shine and do something more like gray wash?
  • Melissa Gallagher
    Do you mean more of a white oak rather than red oak floor? I had white oak in my last house and loved it. I'm sure you can have them mix a stain that would tone down the red, just sample it on a piece to see. That's why you need a professional to do this.
  • cmmrealdeal
    Thanks yes we are definitely having the installer do the sanding and refinishing.
  • Melissa Gallagher
    Maybe they could sand it and "bleach" it or pickle it to give it a different look? I'm sure a flooring professional on here will know what to do. I just wouldn't go dark since your cabinets are dark and dark floors show everything. Google white oak and you'll find tons of photos...
  • jbtanyderi
    A morrow row of tile suggesting a removed wall would be a possible solution.
  • emmarene9

The difference does not bother me. I'd just leave it.