Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jedward

Judy EDward
12 years ago
I see crown molding painted the same as the ceiling, I see them the same as the wall, I see them in an entirely different 3rd color. We'll have 10ft ceilings in our 2nd floor main living area in our beach house. In the FR will have a coffered ceiling, in the DR, a tray, in the K and BR's just crown. Any recommendations?
J. Hirsch Interior Design Portfolio · More Info

Comments (7)

• PRO
    DeCocco Design
    12 years ago
    Wow, enjoy those ceilings! You pay for that crown molding, so you should let it show, which means paint the ceiling a different color, even if just slightly. I like using a stronger color in a coffered ceiling and I LOVE using metallic paints in the tray ceiling. Most of the brand names in paint now carry a line of metallic paint--not shiny and weird, just glowing and lovely.
  • Judy EDward
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    hmmmm. Sounds interesting - I will check those suggestions out. Thank you so much!
  • hilltop1155
    12 years ago
    There are so many options. You can paint the ceiling the same as crown moulding in one space and not in another. Just as you differed the type of moulding, play with different ceiling treatments too.

With 10' ceilings, the bedrooms will probably benefit by having a slightly darker tone of paint in the ceiling area. Tall ceilings tend to make smaller rooms look a bit out of proportion, and using a darker tone than the walls generally creates a perception of lowering it the ceiling and making the room seem wider.
  • Judy EDward
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Thank you hilltop. Good point about the tall ceilings in the BR.
  • PRO
    J. Hirsch Interior Design, LLC
    11 years ago
    There are many ways that you can do them. So that the house doesn't get too busy, you may want to have the trim the same throughout, unless there is a special space where you want it to be different. If you do the ceiling the same color, it will still look a little different since trim is usually painted in a semi-gloss which lightens the color a little bit. I have painted ceilings the same color as the trim, the same color as the walls, half pigment of the walls, or a totally different color. There is not really a wrong answer as long as the colors all work together.
    Janie Hirsch
  • PRO
    J. Hirsch Interior Design, LLC
    4 years ago

Basically, this crown is made up of a few different pieces. The top is a 5" Cove Molding with a bead at the bottom. Then the next piece is dropped down the wall about 3" and painted the trim color so that it looks like it is part of the trim. This piece is a small cap similar to something that might be used to top off wainscoting. If you zoom in on the crown molding and look at the corner on the left side of the picture, you can better see the profiles of the moldings.