Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lauralort

Is Bostik Dimension grout worth the cost?

lauralort
10 years ago
We are getting ready to put in a backsplash using ceramic beveled subway tile (in cream) in a herringbone pattern and Medici Bellini accent tiles (in Seaweed). What are the pros & cons of this product--will I be wasting my money (most of my tiles will be ceramic) or will I be happy with this extra shimmer?

Comments (78)

• PRO
    GannonCo
    7 years ago

I have used these grouts and really it has to be a special application for it to be worth it. I never understand all the dirty backsplash issues as I have just never had the problem.

They are a quick learn but if someone doesn't read instructions and have the ability to adjust technique it will be a disaster. Mapaei has a lower cost option.

• PRO
    Providence Flooring and Paint
    7 years ago

Mapei's version of this grout is not the same product. The Mapei product is essentially acrylic liquid with quartz particles for color. The Bostik Dimension and QuartzLock2 are glass and quartz particles respectively and are acrylic urethane similar to the clear coat on your car. Bostik's version is much more durable and more stain/chemical resistant. The Mapei product would probably be fine for a backsplash, but then everyone would have to keep inventory of different products for floors and walls. With the typical size of a backsplash what is the savings? $20? I would opt for the better product. Also, the Dimension adds an entirely different look to the grout lines and especially makes glass tile look amazing.

• Elissa Soyka
    6 years ago

I have lots to say about Bostik Dimensional Grout. I chose Bronze for my glass tile backsplash in the bathroom. The tile guy said it was impossible to work with.

Very dry and crumbly, difficult to fill the spaces, and leaves bad haze. I thought it must be my tile man because the videos made it seem so easy. We ran out of grout because Bostik calculations are not realistic. Ordered more from the same distributor. This time, it was just a jug of sand. They checked all their containers and they they were all defective. Still waiting for a decent grout.

This distributor went back directly to Bostik and, as she said, they are very unresponsive and slow at delivery.

That being saiid, I pray what did get in on the first batch does not fail because it is truly gorgeous. I now know the first batch we received was also defective and not the tile guys fault. We will see...

• PRO
    6 years ago

Elissa,

Bostik has had issues with the Bronze, Silver, and Copper grout for the past year or so. They have now started to ship the new batches just in the last couple of weeks. Those colors haven't been made for the past year. Also, any of the grout that was shipped and was frozen during shipping is ruined. If it is frozen, it usually resembles dried graham cracker crumbs. I will not ship between the beginning of November until the middle of March due to that possibly happening. I have noticed that several other distributors sell through the winter. I have told several of them about the freezing issue and even Bostik now puts this information on the shipping paperwork, but unfortunately greed seems to get the better of them and they do not heed the warnings. I am sorry you have had problems, but now would be a good time to re-order from the new inventory that has just become available. If you will look on the color sticker on your pail it will have a batch number like 1702160585 The 17 is the year, the 02 is the month, the 16 is the day of the month of manufacture. this number can be very telling. This is a fantastic grout and I have been selling it with very, very few issues. I also have developed my own instructions that make it as easy to use as the video shows. I hope this helps.

• Elissa Soyka
    6 years ago

Thanks so much for that info! I called Bostik directly and they mentioned the freezing issue but no mention that they have had problems otherwise. Also, the distributor is in Miami, so I don't know how it froze. The date identification is very important. Thanks.

• Elissa Soyka
    6 years ago

Also, do you think the first batch that my tile man used might fall out? It was not sawdust but dry and crumbly. He got it in but with great difficulty. It had come from the same distributor. I am hoping, since it is in, it will stay. If it has to be redone it will be a nightmare. Half if finished and mirrors will be going up.

• PRO
    6 years ago

Hopefully it will be ok. Use your fingernail and see if it can be dug out. If it is soft, probably the easiest way to remove it will be with a utility knife and a shop vac. I will keep my fingers crossed for you. Also, the freezing (if that is the issue) probably occurred during shipping from the plant in Baltimore to the distributor. Before the product was reformulated to make it cure faster (3 days vs 7 days to water exposure), you could freeze and thaw it with no issues. Bostik is working on the freeze/thaw issue, but haven't been able to remedy it yet.

• Elissa Soyka
    6 years ago

Bostik thinks it was just old and should not have been sold. They think it should be ok. The new pail came yesterday and was perfect. Thanks for your help!

• PRO
    6 years ago

Glad to be of service! I also sell Dimension and QuartzLock2 here on Houzz if you should ever need any more of it or have any questions about using it.

• Debi DeGennaro
    6 years ago

I am considering purchasing Bostik's Dimension Diamond grout for our shower walls in a new bathroom application. I originally found out about the tile when I purchased glass tile from Tilebar who recommended using it with the tile: https://tilebar.com/komorebi-jet-stream-glass-tile.html. We plan to use the glass tile as an accent around the circumference of the shower and in the niches. the walls will be tiled in 3"x6" cararra marble tiles. The shower dimensions are 6'x9', with three walls being tiled and the fourth wall glass. I want to use the glass grout on at least the glass tile which has an irridescent stained glass look in blues and greens. As for the cararra marble tiles, I'm not sure if the glass grout would be wasted on it. When I mentioned the glass grout to our tile installer, he was very hesitant. He said that his fear was that the grout would damage the cararra marble. I think it was the urethane in the mixture that worried him. When We called Bostik they said that the grout should be okay to use on cararra tiles but you should seal all sides of the tiles first. I'm looking for any information and/or confirmation of that assessment. After reading all the reviews above, I'm more confused than ever. I guess my questions are 1) In your opinion, can this grout be used with cararra marble tiles? 2) Would you be able to see a noticeable difference from regular grout on the cararra tile? 3) Can you tell me how much grout I would need to purchase to tile three walls (8' tall) of a 6'x9' shower? I don't understand how to use the tile calculator on the Bostik webiste. As a said, the cararra tiles are 3"x6" and the glass tiles are 0.87" x 3.25". I know I asked a lot, and I appreciate any and all information/help anyone can offer.

• PRO
    6 years ago

Hi Debi,

I would definitely use Dimension Diamond grout on the glass tile shown in the link to Tilebar. I am sure that your installer is concerned about scratching the marble because of the aggregate vs unsanded grout discussion (unsanded is the worst grout ever conceived). However, Dimension is made from glass beads that with minimal care will not scratch the marble. Or he may be thinking it is an epoxy, which it is not. It is a waterborne urethane that never requires sealing and has excellent stain resistance and flexibility, When Dimension or QuartzLock2 grout are purchased from me on Houzz, I send a very easy to follow sheet of instructions that make either grout extremely easy to use. Concerning the quantity needed; assuming a 1/8" grout line on your 168 sf of 3x6 and also assuming around 20-25 sf of glass, you will need 2 ea, 18# and 1 ea 9# Dimension grout. I have been selling these grouts since they were invented almost 20 years ago and use them exclusively for all of my own and customer's tile projects. The only limitations I have ever had are in submersed (pools & fountains) and commercial kitchens (too much corrosive grease). In those situations a Commercial epoxy is required.

• Debi DeGennaro
    6 years ago

Thank you so much for your timely help. The only thing I'm still unclear on is whether you would also use the Dimension grout on the cararra tile. It sounds like you are saying, yes, and it would require two 18 pound and one 9 pound bucket. I can definitely see the advantage to using the Dimension grout on the glass tile, but I'm hesitant as to whether it is worth spending an additional $350-$400 on grout (above the $120 for the 9# to grout the glass tile). It seems that the advantage to using the glass grout with glass tile is it's reflective property around the glass tile. Is there a noticeable difference between the glass grout when used with cararra tile that makes it worth spending that much extra. My budget is already in the red and I don't want to add that much additional expense without feeling it is well worth it. Once again, thanks for your help. They should begin tiling some time next week so decisions need to be made on my part ASAP.

• PRO
    6 years ago

We sell the 9# here on Houzz for $91.99. It is definitely worth using. Another option would be to use the Dimension on the glass and QuartLock2 on the marble. QuartzLock2 is $77.99 for the 9# and $135 for the 18# they can be found by searching and clicking on the Shop option. Either grout will save you time, life of the shower money, and make your tile installation look much better much longer than traditional grout. Dimension and QuartzLock2 don't require sealing, resist mildew, and don't crack and discolor with minimal maintenance. I sell 100 times more of those grouts than I sell the tile that it is used on.

• Nick Platt
    6 years ago
    A couple years ago I finished two projects using quartz lock2. One was a glass tile back splash. The other a marble and granite mosaic table top. The quartz lock didn't scratch either type of tile. I have never used two different types of grout on the same project. That doesn't mean it's not possible but it wouldn't be the easiest thing to do. No one can decide for you if the look is worth the cost but it does seem to be easier to maintain than cement based grout. On the other hand since you are going to have to seal your marble on a regular basis that isn't really a concern. Also it sounds like your installer has limited experience with quartz lock and there is a definite learning curve. On the glass back splash it was used for the look and with the glass tiles the extra sparkle was very noticeable. On the table top I used it because of the extra flexibility. If you know anything about grout you will notice it looks different than regular grout but not necessarily better. I added a picture of the table top so maybe you can get an idea how quartz lock looks with marble. I'm afraid none of this might help you so if you trust your installer go with their recommendation.
  • PRO
    Cinar Interiors, Inc.
    6 years ago

I will recommend you not use quartz lock2 on the wet floor of a shower. These grouts do not allow moisture to penetrate. Moisture can collect in the pan of the shower and needs to evaporate properly. If this grout is used on the wet floor, the moisture will become trapped and will eventually force it's way out. We learned the hard way, first hand, roughly 8 yrs back on a few jobs. It's best to use a standard sanded grout for the wet floor.

• PRO
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

We have had a few shower floors that the grout did wash out of. It was due to the fact that the tile was installed and grouted too soon after a still wet mud bed type of shower pan installation. We determined this caused the grout to have too much moisture present during the curing period and the grout did not dry properly before being exposed to water. We now use pre-formed shower bases and positive side waterproofing including waterproof wallboard. We allow the mortar that the tile is set with to dry 2 days or more before grouting and have no issue with grout failures since that method has been used. I have used QuartzLock2 and Dimension in exterior applications and had no failures so I knew it was something done during installation.

• Simona Stafano
    5 years ago

This grout is simply amazing! My husband read all these negative reviews and he was on the verge not to do it. Got convinced:) I would recommend 1000% . It makes day and night difference on glass tiles. It is difficult and different to work with but that was our first glass tile installation and we did it. You will waste more, you will have to be prepared how to clean after, but the effect is big! Just be patient, it takes more time and money. It took two of us 3 hrs to do grout on 100 sq ft glass tile 3x6 that is not flat. I think I’ll spend another 30 minutes with blaze here and there. We don’t have any experience installing any tiles, we did a small 4 inch backsplash approximately 15 sq ft. So just be patient , make sure you get the grout from reputable place. We payed a little bit more but if it was looking dry as a sand return was guaranteed.

• mervie44
    5 years ago

the tiles i've picked are a combination of glass and metal. Will the glass in the grout scratch the metal? I like the idea of some additional sparkle but not if its going to scratch the metal.

• PRO
    5 years ago

Metal does create its own set of issues, but the trick to grouting glass or metal with any grout is not to apply too much pressure when working it into the tile. I have done an entire shower (floor, ceiling, and walls) with stainless penny round tile, Instead of using a float we used rubber stripping gloves to apply the grout by hand and it was actually easier than using the grout float. I wouldn't hesitate to use Dimension on your tile at all. Please look for us on Houzz to purchase your Dimension.

• discrib
    5 years ago

Hi Providence,

Thanks for all the great and reliable information. I just want to make sure I can use the Bostik Dimensions on my shower walls. It is a ceramic subway with a glass stripe.

• PRO
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Bostik Dimension grout is an excellent choice for your application. This grout never needs to be sealed and will not crack and crumble like other grouts. It will enhance your glass accent stripe wonderfully and add dimension to your subway tile. Keep in mind some of the light colors of Dimension are somewhat transparent and will pull in color from what ever it touches. For example, some subway tiles have a red clay body. This red can affect the color of the glass Dimension grout. Most subway tiles have a white or very light color body, and most tile setters will use white thinset to stick the tile; both are the best situations for making Bostik Dimension grout look the best. As always, it is our pleasure to assist you with quality products and service.

• iamtiramisu
    5 years ago

Providence Flooring and Paint: I know this is an old/older thread but hoping you are getting notified of new comments and can help. I have decided on a 3x9 cream glass subway tile for our backsplash and want to use 1/16" grout lines. The tile supplier says use Bostik Dimensions for all the various reasons cited previously, but my tile guy (who is familiar with the product and has used it before) said that with such small grout lines he's not sure it would be worth the cost as the sparkle probably won't be very noticeable. What are your thoughts on using the Dimensions in an application with 1/16" grout lines?

• PRO
    5 years ago

I would agree with your tile guy that the sparkle will not show, but would still use the grout for the way it blends into the glass tiles. There are no other options, that I know of, that will blend into the glass. Cement, other types of aggregate and epoxy grouts stop the light and will stand out from your glass. Also, Dimension grout is much more stain resistant than other grouts with the exception of epoxy and there it is equal. You might want to consider going up to at least a 3/32" or 1/8" grout line if you want to see some "sparkle".. We now sell Dimension and QuartzLock on our own site.

• iamtiramisu
    5 years ago
    Thank you so much!! I will check out your site for the products and rethink the grout line size based on this info. I appreciate the input and advice!!
  • iamtiramisu
    5 years ago
    One more question: what’s the difference between the dimensions and quartzlock grouts?
  • PRO
    5 years ago

Sorry, it took me so long to respond, I didn't realize there was another comment on this thread. The difference between Dimension and QuartzLock 2 is the aggregate. Dimension is made with glass and has a slight sparkle. QuartzLock 2 is made with quartz particles. Also, the Dimension is somewhat translucent and a semi-gloss finish. The QuartzLock 2 is opaque and has a more matte finish. Both are mixed with acrylic urethane which gives them excellent flexibility and excellent stain and soil resistance.

• Anastasiya Sarg
    5 years ago

Does anyone know the difference between the Bostik Demention Grout and Starlike translucent similar products? I have been trying to find it on the internet, but no one has a description of the difference. The price between the two products is huge.

I have a glass mosaic tile in the kitchen backslash above the stove and also wanted to know which product is more heat, steam and stain resistant. Thank you in advance for any response!

• PRO
    GannonCo
    5 years ago

There are no magic grouts and people have to stop looking for them. Your shower will need regular cleaning regardless of what you use. I think the sparkle just looks tacky and Im sorry I can think of any use for it. Add in the difficulty to install and maintain and I am lost why anybody would pay such a premium for it.

I would never use in a wet area because if water gets trapped behind the grout and waterproofing it will never evaporate or dry and you get mold which is what about 10 people above has noted. Everybody scream waterproofing but these roll on waterproofings don't allow air flow. A simple sheet of plastic or roofing felt is sometimes the better way to go. I doubt anybody has ever ripped out a simple system like I just noted and found mold and that is because air is allowed to flow. Say the complex waterproofing to steam or high rise showers.

Use cementitious grout on field tile and save this to decorative tile.

• PRO
    5 years ago

Anastasiya, I commend you for doing your research. What I love about glass grouts is that light shines through the tile and the grout. Your backsplash will be beautiful no matter which one you choose. (You will appreciate the glass grout even more if installing under-cabinet lighting.) Neither products have glitter. I agree with Wannabath that glitter grouts seam tacky and cheesy. Here are some pros and cons with both grouts. Starlike Glamour is an epoxy grout with glass particles. Epoxy installations are time sensitive and require a level of skill and experience to make a beautiful job. However, epoxy grouts are the most durable and most resistant to chemicals, heat, and stains. In a residential backsplash behind the stove, epoxy is overkill in a good way. Dimension grout is an acrylic urethane grout with glass particles. Urethane grouts are not time sensitive; the product is already premixed which means there are no time constraints with this product. Dimension never needs to be sealed and remains flexible; it doesn't crack and crumble like other grouts. By the way, acrylic urethane is the same as the clear coat on your car. Its durable and washes easy; it does not accept stains. Starlike Glamour is $66.60 for a 5.5 lb container. Dimension is $91.99 for a 9 lb container. Dimension works out to be less expensive per pound, but they are both nominally the same price. I hope this answers your question.

• Anastasiya Sarg
    5 years ago

Providence Flooring and Paint thank you very much for the advice and detailed explanation. Very helpful. Much appreciated!!!!

• dietitian
    5 years ago

Old thread I know, but is it wise to use on bathtub/shower combo walls with glass subway tile?

• PRO
    5 years ago

It is a great grout for tub/shower surrounds with glass tiles. Be sure to caulk the change of plane edges (i.e. corners and where it meets the tub) with 100% silicone kitchen and bath caulk in the proper color or clear. Latasil caulk by Laticrete is a good choice. Glass is a completely different animal and you need to follow a few guidelines when installing it.

• teneca clark
    4 years ago

Would you recommend bostik dimensions diamond grout for this tile or just a white? I cant decide what direction to go here. this tile is on my shower walls? please help

• PRO
    4 years ago

With the tile you are showing, I would recommend white grout. However, stay away from cement based white grouts as they tend to discolor quickly. Quartzlock2, high white is pretty white, but not a bright white. I would recommend the whitest pre-mixed grout you can find. Stay away from white epoxy as it tends to yellow over time. The pre-mixed grouts tend to be more stain resistant and will look nicer, longer. Bostik has introduced some new colors in the Dimension line, but have been very, very slow to get them widely distributed. There is a whiter Dimension color available, but I have not seen samples yet. Good luck.

• teneca clark
    4 years ago

thanks for the advice.turned out great

• teneca clark
    4 years ago

thanks for the advice.turned out great

• PRO
    4 years ago

COOL shower!

• User
    4 years ago

I am considering using the Dimensions Diamond for a bubble tile, clear frosted glass and carrara marble for the accent wall of the tub/shower. I am a little concerned about it looking like someone squirted glitter glue between the tiles. Bubble tile has lots big grout lines between the circles. Thinking maybe of a darker color like the moons stone of silver but don't want to loose the brightness of the frosted glass

• PRO
    4 years ago

Diamond would be my first choice for a brighter look. Silver is a cooler gray that would coordinate better than the warm grey of Moonstone. Both grays are very similar. Although Silver tends to have a bit more sparkle. On a side note, the urethane in the grout tend to bond more to frosted glass which makes the glass more clear. To help visualize what the urethane will do to the frosted glass, dampen the glass with water. If the look is undesirable, treat the glass with grout release to prevent the urethane from bonding to the frosted glass. Let me know if you have any further questions.

• User
    4 years ago

Thank you, so the if the urethane does not bond with the glass would that allow water to seep in between the glass tile and the grout? Also could you provide a link to the grout release product you recommend?

• User
    4 years ago

I borrowed a Dimensons sample kit from my local tile store. I don't think any of the colors look right. The Diamond looks yellow and dingy next to the tile. The silver is over powering, the aquamarine is too much... Help.

• User
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Here is Moonstone, the tile is Lucente ambrato cirlcles from Emser Tile

• User
    4 years ago

trying to get the lighting better I want it to look like this

The Hills Group, Granite Bay, CA · More Info

• HU-881703592
    4 years ago

I installed a marble shower 7 years ago and used the Copper grout. I'm finally getting around to having the marble shower bench installed. I still have half of a 9lb tub of the copper. It looks good, doesn't smell, is still moist, and stirred up easily. Can I use it for my bench project?

BTW - I love this grout, I call it my happy grout. I smile every morning during my shower when I see it. It was totally worth the extra coins!

• PRO
    4 years ago

I love this grout too. We still sell it every day, just not online any more(sales tax law changes). I know they say it has a 2 year shelf life, but I have used some that was 10 years old and it was fine. As long as it hasn’t been frozen, it should work like the original. Happy showering :-)

• HU-334714329
    3 years ago

Used Bostik Dimensions diamond hue on stainless steel tiles in my kitchen. Installed all myself and love this grout. It did not scratch my tiles and looks great with the stainless steel. I’m getting ready to help our daughter to tile her kitchen with glass tiles that has metal accents). This is the only grout I will use, well worth the cost.

• greenhousedc
    2 years ago

@User did you complete your install of the Lucente ambrato cirlcles from Emser Tile? I have been vacillating between those tiles and the these from Glass Tile Oasis.

https://oasistile.com/products/jewel-jewelled-spa-j-605-white-uniform-brick-glass-and-stone-glossy-iridescent-tile

I would love to see the entire install and a close up of the grout used. Did you go with the Bostik? If so, did the grout leave a haze? Any tips on installation techniques?

@HU-334714329 would also love to see any pictures of your tile install.

• Jenn A
    2 years ago

Hi! I am getting this marble herringbone tile installed tomorrow and was wondering if bostik dimension in Diamond would look good? Will the formula ruin the marble? Do I tell my installer to use 1/16 joint lines??

• Shannon Grace
    2 years ago

Jenn A - How did your tiling go? I’m gonna use the exact tile and I had the very same question about the bostik. Does this tile even need it?

• Jenn A
    2 years ago

Hi!! @shannon you do not need the bostik - you will Not even see it - here’s the finished product- don’t use regular grout for the bottom where the tile meets countertop. I made this mistake and it’s cracking and looks bad. I will replace with clear silicone eventually.