0
Find the right pro for your project

Age of Camellias

Brad Edwards
September 28, 2017

I was lucky enough to buy a house with 20 camellias many older varieties. I have most of the varities down but am having a hard time pinpointing their age. Most have a 6 to 8inch diameter and are 8-10 foot range and looked to have been pruned every year while some others have been pruned heavily every year but the age is hard to tell because its so coastal and the sand is fairly heavy. Any ideas on how to tell without cutting them down " not thinking of doing that"? EX we have some live oak trees that run down a street near us that are 120 years old that look like they are 50 years old while my neighbors has a 5 foot diameter and looks 120 years old yet is only 60.

Comment (1)

• luis_pr

Tough question. Camellias tend to grow at various rates and you have to also account for your local weather when determining growth rates so, all I can say calculating the age is probably tough. The most you could probably do is to take an average of growth in several years and use to guess-timate how old the shrub/tree is. Not 100% accurate as it does not account for growth in m-a-n-y years but heck, it gives you at least a guess-timate. Post the question to the American Camellia Society's website and see if they have someone who can also chime in.