Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
achemeachi

Need help for living room and dinnigroom flow

Milly Vildozola
10 years ago
Hi everyone, here is my dilema, i need to make decoration flow from living room to kitchen dinning room, living room is brigth and kitchen dinneroom is very dark , northfacing, i want to paint walls, i was thinking ligth grey for all the house but maybe look dull on kitchen and i want to change my accent color in livingoom, is lottus pink , i make a mistake with the sectional color i be force to accent with that color to bring that cougth alive but i dont like it, please help to find the rigth palet and the rigth decoration!

Comments (49)

• PRO
    Paramount Bathrooms
    10 years ago
    You can go through paramountbathrooms.co.uk for all wuerrie's answer.
  • Milly Vildozola
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you, the problem is that the kitchen is very dark , i always used with the artifitial ligth, the original color walls are like antike orange almost dark beige and the livingroom has lottus pink pillows and paint ( west elm) and i dont like to bring the lotus pink in to the kitchen, will be to much redish, so i never find the way to make everything flow nicely, i like grey but i was reading that in nothface room look dull, so i was thinking to go for more warm orange for the kitchen_ dinning room ,the accent wall in thelivingroom maybe grey and the rest very white walls and change the accent accesories to orange with a litle royal blue o turquase accent, what do you think?
  • elcieg
    10 years ago
    I am not sure where you could start/end a new paint color. Is there a break in the wall somewhere we can't see in your photos?
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    I truly think your home looks wonderful. Relax and enjoy it. Your sofa is gray, isn't it? So you must be careful to get a gray in the same family with the same undertones or it will fight with your couch. You have a very good sense about decorating so I'm sure whatever you do will look good. It may be different but will it be better? Plus, that's a lot of money to replace all the art, pillows, throws, etc.

Do you have under cabinet lighting in your kitchen? That might help brighten and it's a nice effect.
  • Milly Vildozola
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The sofa is velvet chacoral, look diferent depents on the ligth, i dont have under cabinet ligthing, good advise!
  • Milly Vildozola
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The kitchen has diferent color than the accent walls and the rest of the house
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    In the corner of the dining room by the window you could add a palm tree in a nice ceramic pot. Get a floor spot light and put it behind the pot to shine up through the fronds (palm leaves). That would give nice light.
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Now I see the pictures above and your room might be too small for that. You could add a floor lamp under the round basket hanging up on the wall. This is a floor lamp, tall and thin.
  • Milly Vildozola
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    What about a mirrow or 4 paintings with white frames? Which color area rug do you think can go best to create the flow
  • Milly Vildozola
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I also looking for two wingbacks chairs for dinning table, i dont know the color, maybe grey chacoral
  • Phil
    10 years ago
    The living room is very nice. Very bold and graphic with those punchy colors and geometric shapes. Have you considered a wallpaper? Maybe something with a nice geometric print to complement those chairs. Perhaps something subtle like a nice tone on tone or similar to add some interest and keep your graphic theme going. Also I think the problem in the kitchen is lack of contrast. Those cabinets would look great in glossy white, especially against your very colorful scheme and those dark stools, you'd have a very crisp punchy environment. Right now the color of the cabinets, the countertop, backsplash and the color of the walls are too similar and creating an uninteresting space. I might also try to work that blue in somewhere that you've got in the vase and the (i'm assuming they are) lamps, even if it was subtle.
  • Milly Vildozola
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you, yes the kitchen has a lack of contrast, i thought in white cabinets too but i want to star for the walls first, i still thinking about the rigth color who can give inviting, warm feeling and fine the balance and flow with the rest of the house, i dont have the turquase vases in livingroom, i just post the wrong pic, i only have lottus pin-red accent deco, i traying to decore the kitchen and balace everything with second accent color, can be blue , turquase, yellow or orange, no sure yet.
  • Milly Vildozola
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Dear helpers, what do you think about this choise color for the kitchent, accent pillow and i did the red paint my self so i can do another in orange grey white blue mix
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    Yes, give it a try. I think the orange will look better than the pink anyway. You're a talented artist!
  • Sonya Wilk
    10 years ago
    You have a Beautiful home! If you wish to lighten your home, then I would go with the paint sample on the very right. Just looking at your photo this is the one that reflects the most light. I would use a textured wall paper on the wall opposite the window/doors and paint it the same colour. On the wall with the textured wall paper I would have a collage for picture frames, different sizes with family photos (make sure these photos have your accent colours in them) and mixed in some picture frames with mirrors in them. This will create a real talking point, your friends will love looking at your pictures and see themselves reflected back! The mirrors placed opposite the light source will reflect light back into the room. You could even paint the frames in your accent colour and use black and white pictures. Your flooring is quiet dark and is a main feature of the home, you need to showcase it by making it stand out, same with the kitchen. By painting the walls a lighter colour the floor and kitchen will then POP and stand out! Do the same with your dining table, add a wider, lighter table runner and something tall to the middle of the table (glass Lantern?? a vase with white lilliums and bird of paradise??) I also think your charcoal couch would look good with just one or two solid orange cushions mixed with grey, black and cream, plus a cream throw. Add your accent colour in small doses, as they say "less is more" Your painting looks like it has orange in it so the orange as your accent will look great! Post pictures when you have finished, whatever you do will look spectacular :-)
  • sherryclune
    10 years ago
    Find a big piece of art for your dining room wall first, then choose the wall color to set it off. If you find art in the pink, orange or turquoise colors, a dark brown would look good. If you go with a green, blue or sandy brown then a grey wall would look better.
  • PRO
    Sterling Wilson Design
    10 years ago
    I would not go with the one on the right or the one in the middle, these look like creme and have a yellow undertone? contrary to what most people think, yellow undertones tend to darken a room. You are on the right path with a gray tone. Grays, again, contrary to what people think, if not too dark, lighten and brighten a room.
    I like the one on the left or, mix the left and the one next to it. It's hard to tell from a picture of a small sample.
    You do have a beautiful home and if you've done all of this yourself, I think you will be able to pick the right color.
    What color are your kitchen cabinets, it's hard to tell from the photo. Just one suggestion, loose the end table at the end of the chaise section of your couch. You have good symmetry in the room, the couch is not symmetrical and if you take away that end table it will let the chaise part float, as it's meant to do.
  • beverlynn
    10 years ago
    You have a beautiful home!! Don't waste your time, energy, or money by painting! Paint the dining room wall back to it's original color. The pink is pretty! Concentrate on accents! Choose nice artwork for the dining room wall. Change the centerpiece on the table to one with a variety of colors that include one pink flower.Wing chairs would be to big for the table; look at armchairs or parsons chairs in a cream color.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Not sure what you are saying about painting wall in living room pink?? NO, like your room as it is. Remove some pillows from sofa. Too much pink. Use accent colors in very small amounts. Your walls look gray already? Are they? The colors you have on wall in picture, I like one on end by door. If going Thur out house and some rooms are dark. I love your choice of decor. You are doing a great job. I wouldn't change much. Add tall back chairs to dining table in a print. Similar to chairs in living room.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Your choice of sectional is perfect color. You can add any color you like to pillows. I would not have to use pink. Mix light gray, and a turquoise, like your pots color for pillows . Painting is wild, the size is perfect. Can you return? Something with the blue grays aqua colors. Maybe could use in dining rm and then get chairs with a contemporary print that has a very small amount of hot pink in it.you are doing fine. Just be careful on accent colors.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Do all walls same color. Don't break up rooms with accent walls. No pink, or orange on walls. Not good stick with the grays will not look dull in North facing rooms. Adding art to walls is what brings in color. Your art should NOT match.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Love the chairs in dining rm. good job
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Rug under table a sisal with gray binding. Big 8x10. Keep it simple. On wall 3 big round mirrors in brushed nickel. A bamboo or palm to fill floor space.
  • PRO
    Jill J. Wallace, Color Redesign
    10 years ago
    As always with Houzz helpers you have received a lot of different and good advice! My impression is to look to the back splash and chandelier to fine tune a light gray for the kitchen. It may be a blue/green/gray like Benjamin Moore's gray cashmere, a beach glass color so it isn't a cool gray. Another option may be to go with a lighter version of the current color, but make sure it doesn't disappear with the kitchen cabinets. For the living room, I agree to loose some of the pillows and change out the pink to turquoise or orange. The picture is beautiful IMO, but I would play off the non pink colors in the piece for accents. If you change the wall color I suggest painting the room one color without a pink undertone. Do you feel the current kitchen color is too dark for the entire living room? Your style is just lovely! Try to step back to a place where you trust your gut instinct. Keep us posted!
  • Milly Vildozola
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you for all the nice and helpfull coments!! I´m still work it on the kitchen, any choise of warm greys that you can recomend??? i been trying avery color from ligth grey to very dark chacoral, i ´m confused, to be honest the original color look the best , is pumking butter from berh but in the same time look a little dated that´s why i want to change it to grey which is in, should i chage the cabinets to white? i want a brigther , modern kitchenet, clean look , please help
  • Milly Vildozola
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I want to paint the cabinet to white and backsplash too, what do you think?
  • PRO
    Sterling Wilson Design
    10 years ago
    You could do Benjamin Moore 1465, Nimbus. It's the perfect warm gray! It will look great with your cabinets. Paint the walls first, then you can decide about painting your cabinets. White cabinets will definitely lighten things up but the doors and drawer heads should be painted in a shop with a catalyzed laquer finish or they won't wear very well.
  • PRO
    Sterling Wilson Design
    10 years ago
    leave the backsplash
  • kralston12
    10 years ago
    i painted my brown cabinets to a creamy white and I LOVE it !! SOO much brighter and changed the knobs to rusty brown. It took 40 hours of pure painting work...I timed it so I could let people know how long it took! I used McCormicks underlock and over lock paint
  • sheilabou
    10 years ago
    Can you put in a skylight in your kitchen area?
  • h0mesweethome
    10 years ago
    Judging by your current pictures (which can be deceiving), I'd say the current colour is better than any of the sample colours. I don't see how this would change the flow of things, but perhaps I misunderstand the purpose. Maybe if the dining had the same or similar rug as the living room, the eye would perceive it as one flowing room? The kitchen backsplash in a lighter colour should lift the room, to appear lighter and brighter. Maybe not stark white, perhaps champayne/ivory. And perhaps a couple less cushions on the sofa?
  • Callie Henrichs
    10 years ago
    Why not go with a lighter version of the color you already have? If you go two to three colors lighter, you will be ensured of color harmony. You will also achieve the lighter look you desire. With this space being open concept, the only thing I might try would be to have an accent wall on the wall that you currently have the paint samples on. Your home is beautiful, and very inviting. You have done a great job. Maybe you would want to lighten the kitchen paint as well? I like your cabinets as is, but there is a lot of brown going on with the wall color. Lots of options for you, can't wait to see what you decide.
  • Milly Vildozola
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks again for your helpfull comments everyone, i bougth the nimbus 1465 and i i like it , look more grey -green , the choises i have are more with purple under tones so i will go with the nimbus color , yay! i , skyligth is a great idea , i am planing to do that as well, i like a lot the idea of white cabinets on top and black matte on the botton
  • lkaton
    10 years ago
    Can you tell me where your couch is from?
  • Milly Vildozola
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I bougthit on line, CSN Sofas.com
  • Milly Vildozola
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    the brand is skyline furnituire
  • PRO
    Sterling Wilson Design
    10 years ago
    Sounds good! I think you will love Nimbus. It goes with everything and while it's gray, it will lighten the kitchen quite a bit and look great in your dining room.
  • lkaton
    10 years ago
    Thanks for the sofa info.
  • Milly Vildozola
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Paint proyect done! I love it!
  • PRO
    Sterling Wilson Design
    10 years ago
    Wow!!!!!! looks great! so glad you like it! Enjoy
  • PRO
    Sterling Wilson Design
    10 years ago
    by the way, I love your light fixtures! where did you get them?
  • Milly Vildozola
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you! The lights are west elm
  • Celine Atlas
    10 years ago
    Hi achemeachi, I like the bamboos, where did you buy them?
  • Milly Vildozola
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi Atalas, i got them in tkesmiami.net
  • Milly Vildozola
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Decoration still in proces, any advice is very welcome
  • Milly Vildozola
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    One more pic
  • PRO
    Sterling Wilson Design
    10 years ago
    I think a rug always help anchor a space, a runner on the table could be nice and of coarse some art on the large wall-something big, and abstract and a large mirror or cluster of mirrors on the back wall. Also, spread out the ginger jars on the table just a bit to give the succulents a little breathing room.
  • Milly Vildozola
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you for the advice! will post pics when i add the rest