Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lunger1

How do you decorate around a chimney?

lunger1
10 years ago
We are thinking about buying a home with a very unique feature. There is a chimney right in the middle of your living room/dining room, how do u set things up and decorate?

Comments (7)

• PRO
    AMBIT Architecture
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Consider the fireplace as dividing the larger space. You have a smaller space to the background (small sitting area? library or home office?) vs. a larger family room type space.
    You can also further divide the two spaces with a light/ thin screen wall, which will play up the masonry mass of the fireplace
    Color can also be used to offset one space against another.
  • PRO
    Shoa Gallery
    10 years ago
    Looks like that used to be two rooms that were combined. Just treat this as an open space with different areas. Living room around the opening of the fireplace, dining room on the other side (if the kitchen is on that side - hard to tell).

https://www.etsy.com/shop/katshoa
  • Phil
    10 years ago
    I would agree with the above post. The fireplace is the point of emphasis for the room and I would definitely use that to build everything around. Lots of interesting things going on architecturally that can be exploited but from this one picture its sort of hard to tell what to really do. I can't tell if you are looking from a breakfast room into a family room or vice versa. If the far room is the family room, then a U shaped seating group, anchored by a rug and centered around the fireplace should do the trick.

If you've got some extra change I might consider losing the stone on the fireplace. I'm all about contrast of textures but I'm not sure the smooth ceramic tile (of which there is probably too much overall) and the rough stacked stone really work together for this room. Combined with the open rafters it seems like one too many ideas going on. This room would really benefit from say a hand-scraped hardwood floor (especially if you want to keep the stone and rafters open but have a more textured and rustic look). Also if you center the seating group on the fireplace, there's a good chance a TV is going to be mounted above it and this gives the opportunity to run power and cabling to it cleanly.

I'm assuming that far room has a wall just off camera right which could also be a place to put your media center, etc but that makes furnishing the room a bit trickier as the axis now becomes the line from the middle of the doors straight back. In that case I might have a couch on the far wall, and two chairs opposite on either side of the fireplace to both frame the fireplace and establish a new axis. If you paint the far wall (or even use a strong color or texture) it would be nice to repeat it to some degree in the nearer room, even if its just upholstery to tie the two rooms together without being obnoxious about it. Drapes on those two sets of back doors will go along way to break up the monotony of that wall, especially if they have a bit of pattern or color to add interest. Perhaps a mirror, piece of artwork or demilune table between the doors, the curve will be a nice counterpoint to the long horizontal lines of the wall. You have some interesting architecture. Use it to your advantage.
  • lunger1
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Love those ideas!! Thank you!
  • elcieg
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    A wrought iron fireplace bench would be a nice start. I have a beauty from the 19th century. Everyone wants to sit there. A mantel, stained in the same tone as your ceiling possibly?
    Wrough iron stool · More Info

Fireplace mantel · More Info
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Have the furniture in the family room face the fireplace. It's so wonderful to have the view from both rooms. It's a great architectural feature. Use it to create different zones. Both rooms need a rug to ground the furniture. You might have enough room in the family room for a separate zone for other types of activities.

Maybe add a wood stained mantle to work with the beams.