Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mnsportsgeek

Buying a Home - Basement Fireplace & TV/Theater Dilemma

mnsportsgeek
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi everyone, We are buying our first home and love everything about it except we are having trouble with the floor plan in the basement. I've uploaded some photos for you guys to see along with a basic drawing. https://imgur.com/a/uZsO3

The issue I have is that the basement needs to be the TV room. If I put all my AV equipment upstairs it will look horrible next to the dining room and kitchen. That said, the basement is my only choice. The home has 2 fireplaces, one in the living room upstairs and one in the living room downstairs. So we are thinking about turning one of them into a permanent unused fireplace with LED candles or something. We have seen a few ideas we like online. Not sure which one we want to do that to though. The other would be converted to a gas or electric because we don't want a wood burning fireplace. As you can probably tell by my username, it gets cold in Minnesota and the heating vents in the basement are on the ceiling so we're thinking that it might get a little chilly in the basement in the winter.

All that considered, I need to figure out a nice way to assemble my TV entertainment area in the basement without making it look terrible. The furniture I'd like to bring with me to put down there is a 3 person sofa and 2 person love seat. In previous apartments I have created a 90 degree angle with them with a coffee table in the middle and the TV across from the 3 person sofa.

I have three ideas that I came up with so far:

1. 1. Put the TV adjacent to the sliding door. This allows for the sofa to go on the opposite wall but it also creates an issue in that a love seat next to it would block the walk way to the sliding door. I'd like to be able to fit more than 3-4 people in front of the TV. I'm not too concerned about glare because the sliding door is under a deck and the back yard has pretty good tree cover.
  2. Put the TV against the 16' wall. Part of the TV may end up covering part of the window in this instance. The sofa would then be floating and essentially create a hallway between the entry to the basement and the end of the sofa. The fireplace would then be off to the left of the sofa.
  3. Put the TV against the 13' wall. The sofa would then be floating in front of the fireplace and the love seat would be against the 16' wall. In this case, do you think there would be enough room behind the sofa to put a couple of chairs in front of the fireplace maybe with a small table? Would this look horrible putting the fireplace in the background of the entertainment center way out of focus? Are there any other ideas I am not thinking of? Do you guys have any opinions what would look good and what would look horrible?

Comments (10)

• Julie B
    6 years ago

I would disable this fireplace and demolish the brick surround so you can put the TV above the fireplace. That would provide you with the most seating in front of the TV.

mnsportsgeek thanked Julie B
  • mnsportsgeek
    Original Author
    6 years ago

That may be the long term goal of the basement, but I don’t want to do it right away. In that case, option 3 may be the best short term solution and then I can spruce up the fireplace with some decoration or something just as a decorative piece that isn’t the focus of the room.

• acm
    6 years ago

Can't you just stand the TV on the hearth, right in front of the fireplace? Small cabinet to one side with components, and it should be easy to arrange a heap of seating down there. The arm over by the sliders can be a game table or something else separate.

mnsportsgeek thanked acm
  • mnsportsgeek
    Original Author
    6 years ago

That's not a bad idea. I'd have to think about that a little more though. I'm not so sure the hearth is tall enough to just stand a TV on. It might look awkward being so low. I was thinking that area by the sliding door could be a ping pong table or card table too. I hope to do something like that.

I think I'll have to accept that any solution won't be perfect as long as that fireplace is there, I just have to pick the option that is the best that I can work with.

• Janie Gibbs-BRING SOPHIE BACK
    6 years ago

Hi Mmsportsgeek!

As I have a hubs who is an audiophile, (and we live in a tiny space), what is the size of your tv and equipment?

What is the status of the electrical and wifi strength in your basement?

Will this room be a media room, home theater or your man cave?

P.S-Bears had it last night...all the way to the end, pppfffftttt

mnsportsgeek thanked Janie Gibbs-BRING SOPHIE BACK
  • mnsportsgeek
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Janie!

My Tv is currently 50”. All the equipment I have is relatively small. The biggest thing being an AV receiver and all of it fits in an entertainment center that is about 50-55” long and about 2 feet tall. I also have some small satellite speakers that I use for surround sound that can be placed pretty much anywhere.

I can’t speak to the WiFi strength but I will make it work. I’ll buy whatever it takes to get good coverage throughout the home. I may end up putting the router in the basement. There is plenty of outlets to accommodate the equipment I need.

I wouldn’t call this room a man cave, exactly. Although it might transform into one over time if I get my way :) This is just the most logical place to put the primary TV in the home as the layout for the upstairs living room is even worse for an entertainment room.

That game was tough to watch last night for the both of us I’m sure! Sorry your Bears are having a rough year. Ours isn’t going too much better.

• Janie Gibbs-BRING SOPHIE BACK
    6 years ago

Hi Mnsportsgeek,

I would go with number 3.

Put the couch in front of the fireplace by a couple of feet, so you can still turn it on for warmth.

Just set it up like that and see if you like it. Give yourself the chance to change your mind after living in it for a while, don't do anything drastic like shutting down the basement FP right away.

Also, you need a bigger TV now that you have this great new space ;)

mnsportsgeek thanked Janie Gibbs-BRING SOPHIE BACK
  • mnsportsgeek
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I would like to upgrade at some point! There is a never ending list now that we will finally have our own space. A higher priority will be gettting rid of that ugly yellow paint :) We have to pass inspection first I suppose before I can start really planning!

I appreciate your feedback. If this was just another rental I really wouldn’t care what I did, but now that I can call it my own I want to do the best I can with the resources I have!

• mnsportsgeek
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Sync Systems! Thanks for the reply. That is a great idea! I didn't think about a swivel mount. I'll have to seriously consider that.

Sponsored
More Discussions