Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roblyn016

Help! Keep the pillars or remove?!?

roblyn016
6 years ago

We just purchased this house and are in the process of making some changes. My husband and I disagree on what to do here. This is the entrance to our dining room. We have removed half wall and pillars on the side facing the kitchen, however my husband would like to keep them in the foyer side to make separation. What are your thoughts?? If we did decide to keep them, any ideas on how to change the look?

thanks so much!!

Comments (46)

• Diane
    6 years ago
    My first thought was to remove them for an updated look, however, it really depends on the rest of of the home and updates you are making
  • anniebird
    6 years ago
    I would remove them and extend the opening to the outer edges of your top casing. I really think the pillars date the house and detract from the flow between rooms.
    roblyn016 thanked anniebird
  • shirlpp
    6 years ago

I am not liking those. Maybe if they were square, however yours do not look square.

roblyn016 thanked shirlpp
  • Matt Man
    6 years ago
    Dust collectors
    roblyn016 thanked Matt Man
  • Lorraine Ruiz
    6 years ago
    I think it would be best to take them out. My reasonings behind it are (so you can win with your husband ;) ) because columns look best with matching pairs and since you took then other ones out, they look out of place. Also because columns can have an effect of power and in a dinning room it is better to make it an inviting space and airy rather than intimidating. Here's an article on columns if your husband still is not budging ( https://www.thoughtco.com/another-look-at-types-of-columns-177524). Good luck! :)
    roblyn016 thanked Lorraine Ruiz
  • Susan Davis
    6 years ago

Remove them and make opening a mirror of what you have done....this way the dining room will be a showstopper.

roblyn016 thanked Susan Davis
  • happyleg
    6 years ago

I believe that is a LOAD bearing wall!!! U need an engineer!

• tatts
    6 years ago

I'd leave them. I think the foyer needs the enclosure, and so does the dining room. When you are sitting in the dining room, it will make the room feel cozier if there is a visual break between it and the foyer. That big, gaping hole opening to the foyer will spoil the dining space.

OTOH, that's unlikely a load bearing wall, because it doesn't continue through the other side of the corner of the wall.

roblyn016 thanked tatts
  • User
    6 years ago

Remove.

roblyn016 thanked User
  • Kervin Jeno Omison
    6 years ago

you may remove the pillars for you to have more space or make the pillars smaller

roblyn016 thanked Kervin Jeno Omison
  • Matt Man
    6 years ago
    Pretty sure the load is being carried by the 2' ends of the wall, highly doubt the header starts and ends directly above a decorative column.
  • Matt Man
    6 years ago
    No need for an engineer, a competent carpenter can see this.
  • kulrn
    6 years ago

Another vote to remove!

roblyn016 thanked kulrn
  • Matt Man
    6 years ago
    Tarts it is a bearing wall, the columns are not bearing anything but the wall is bearing a roof load.
  • Elizabeth B
    6 years ago

I'd remove them they date the house and more to clean

roblyn016 thanked Elizabeth B
  • Milly Rey
    6 years ago

I would replace them with proper builtins. Both of the other options look cheap. No pillars--definitely cheap. Pillars--trying to look more expensive than it is.

roblyn016 thanked Milly Rey
  • roblyn016
    Original Author
    6 years ago

We have already had an engineer look at them. We can remove pillars and half walls but cannot remove any more of the wall. Thanks so much for all your thoughts!

• suzyq53
    6 years ago

I would just wall up that side. I don't think you need to enter the dining room from the foyer. The dining room will be easier to decorate and use with the additional wall.

• roblyn016
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you suzyq53, we had thought of that, however the rest of the house is very open, so afraid it would look weird having it closed off in a grand foyer/the rest of the house. Here's some more pics of the layout

• suzyq53
    6 years ago

Gotcha! Yikes more pillars. I'd consider painting the pitched ceiling a much lighter version of the wall color if its staying. The stark white is kind of jarring with the gray and wood beams. Also maybe just wall in the pillars to reduce the doorway and eliminate the angled corner in the family room.

roblyn016 thanked suzyq53
  • roblyn016
    Original Author
    6 years ago

We will be having the downstairs painted a very light grey... probably either Repose or agreeable grey by SW

• roblyn016
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you er612! That picture definitely helps!! Miller Rey, I'm curious what you mean by built ins?

• Milly Rey
    6 years ago

• Milly Rey
    6 years ago

That's one version of what the pillars were a cheap reference to.

• Milly Rey
    6 years ago

Modern reimperpretations or redoing.

• Milly Rey
    6 years ago

That house would make me kill myself. Need. Doors.

• Melissa Gallagher
    6 years ago
    Nope. Remove and make the opening larger like you did with the other room.

That pillar thing is really ....."dated "
  • chickadee70
    6 years ago

I think a solid wall there like Suzyq53 mentioned. Just because the rest of the house is so open like you said. No need to see into the kitchen or every other room from the front door. Make a stopping point for the eye and a more welcoming foyer wall. That's what I would do...

• gtcircus
    6 years ago
    Rip them out, it looks like a Roman Bath.
  • er612
    6 years ago

You could wall over the columns/openings as a compromise.

• happyleg
    6 years ago

I feel arches would look great or close the one in near door. Or add glass door.

• shirlpp
    6 years ago

I like happleg's idea of adding glass. French doors might solve the dilemma. They still offer a separation, but openness.

• Elizabeth B
    6 years ago

Love the French door idea still lets light in but gives separation

• kulrn
    6 years ago

Ditto on the french doors!

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

No pillars what so ever!

beautiful full openings or french doors

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    6 years ago

Maybe its the picture, but the opening where you removed the half pillars it looks like it has a slight sag. Before you remove anything like that you should check first if this pillars there not supporting the above load and placed there to break up the span.

• Violet Thorne
    6 years ago

Remove 'em they look weird! ;)

• Melissa Gallagher
    6 years ago
    Do you have room to do pocket doors off the foyer to the dining room?
  • PRO
    Ryan Olivieri, Inc.
    6 years ago

You should give him his way so you can use it as a chip for later bargaining.

• roblyn016
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Haha Ryan Olivieri!

I like the French door idea!

• PRO
    Ryan Olivieri, Inc.
    6 years ago

Good contractors make good marital counselors

• PRO
    Ryan Olivieri, Inc.
    6 years ago

Nobody sees more couple fights

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

The only thing more trendy (and much worse) than pillar removal is open concept. Eeech.

• Matt Man
    6 years ago
    Or white Shaker style doors and Gray tops or walls, long live raised panel, arched or eyebrow stained woo.HGTV has made everyone a designer.
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 years ago

There is still enough separation without the columns and half walls.